Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Is Brandon Thompson still a top 20 talent? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51154)

Nebula 02-22-2012 10:27 AM

Is Brandon Thompson still a top 20 talent?

I watch that video of his and I see a defensive tackle that has the explosiveness to split gaps and also can play the run when he doesn't go upfield. It wasn't too long ago this guy was considered a top 15 pick during the season. What happened to his stock?

bitonti 02-22-2012 10:51 AM

He's more of a solid rd 2 player. part of the problem is that Clemson's defense got exploited down the stretch and in the bowl game. He's probably better at run stuffing that pass rush and that hurts his value slightly. He's a good player, probably not a great player.

keylime_5 02-22-2012 11:00 AM

there are a few reasons why Thompson is now more of an early 2nd round (possible late 1st even) at this point, and not a top 15 pick anymore:

-He has an explosive first step, but he didn't produce much as a pass rusher this year after showing promise as a junior

-There are a ton of DTs who have emerged that could go ahead of him: Brockers, Still, Cox, Poe, Reyes, and possibly Worthy. Very deep DT class this year.

Like I said, he has great first step quickness and is a prototypical 3 technique, but he's not as good at getting to the QB as a guy with his skillset should be. Great motor, explosion, strength, very solid build...if he can get more pressures and tackles behind the LOS he would have been a solid top 20 pick.

Razor 02-22-2012 12:41 PM

When was Brandon Thompson ever a top 20 prospect?

AntoinCD 02-22-2012 01:53 PM

This guy should not get near the top 20. He will probably be a role player in the NFL.

He may turn out to be an elite run defender but he has shown virtually nothing against the pass. He reminds me of Broderick Bunkley

keylime_5 02-22-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 2868320)
When was Brandon Thompson ever a top 20 prospect?

before his senior year, many were predicting him to go in the top 20. same with Jerel Worthy. A lot changes over the course of a season. Who knew that Brockers, Still, and Cox would be as top DT prospects for the 2012 draft back then?

regoob2 02-22-2012 03:59 PM

I've always been a huge fan of his. I think going to the Colts in the 2nd would be a great fit for him and the Colts.

Razor 02-22-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2868835)
before his senior year, many were predicting him to go in the top 20. same with Jerel Worthy. A lot changes over the course of a season. Who knew that Brockers, Still, and Cox would be as top DT prospects for the 2012 draft back then?

I sure as hell didn't, but I never thought Brandon Thompson was a top 20 player or even a first rounder. He's an average college player who'll be an average NFL player. Or at least, that's the way I see it.

GaMeTiMe 02-22-2012 07:38 PM

It's all the other DTs that might hurt Thompson, but he's still a guy that could end up being the 2nd or 3rd ranked player at his position on multiple boards and therefore has the potential to be "the next Tyson Alualu" as we all like to talk about since that draft.

descendency 02-22-2012 07:59 PM

I'd avoid him just because he plays for Clemson.

RaiderNation 02-23-2012 01:52 AM

Never was in my mind, was a possible late 1st at one point but is now a lock to go in the 2nd IMO. Thompson likely will never be a impact rusher inside, but will be able to make a difference against the run and collapsing pocket. The Eagles would be a good fit for Thompson in the 2nd, he could be a NT in their 4-3 and help the run defense.

onejayhawk 02-23-2012 06:20 AM

I see him as a solid NT, either in a 3-4 or 4-3. He can play some single gap, but he has the base for two gap.

J

duesouth 02-23-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onejayhawk (Post 2869742)
I see him as a solid NT, either in a 3-4 or 4-3. He can play some single gap, but he has the base for two gap.

J

Very much agree.

I think his stock was going up until about three quarters through the season and then his play dropped off. This is a good DT crop, so I think he's a second rounder.

killxswitch 02-23-2012 07:50 AM

He offers very little in the way of pass rush so that is of course going to downgrade him. If I remember in one of his interviews he even admitted he needed to work on getting to the QB. He is a stout run defender but it will take development to get him to be a pass rusher and not every team has the time or staff to do that.

duesouth 02-23-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 2869782)
He offers very little in the way of pass rush

At times he'll get penetration with his initial burst off the ball and at times he will get push. So I would say he offers something, but hasn't got a swim or rip move for example.

indyfan1985 02-23-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regoob2 (Post 2868855)
I've always been a huge fan of his. I think going to the Colts in the 2nd would be a great fit for him and the Colts.

If they traded down to middle of the 2nd then sure I would be fine with the Colts getting him. The 34th spot is a little high for him.

I could see the Colts targeting a DE/OLB with the 34 spot since they could let Freeney go or trade him. Vinny Curry is a possibility there.

killxswitch 02-23-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duesouth (Post 2869831)
At times he'll get penetration with his initial burst off the ball and at times he will get push. So I would say he offers something, but hasn't got a swim or rip move for example.

IMO pushing the pocket is not the same thing as rushing the passer.

SenorGato 02-23-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 2869244)
I'd avoid him just because he plays for Clemson.

Holy Jinksees +1

Could you ask for a softer school?

regoob2 02-23-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan1985 (Post 2869832)
If they traded down to middle of the 2nd then sure I would be fine with the Colts getting him. The 34th spot is a little high for him.

I could see the Colts targeting a DE/OLB with the 34 spot since they could let Freeney go or trade him. Vinny Curry is a possibility there.

I forgot they're switching to the 3-4. Id take Thompson on my Bears in the 2nd even though we dont really need a NT. He's gonna be good if he goes to a 1 gap team.