Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Andrew Luck= Young Troy Aikman (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51157)

dregolll 02-22-2012 12:50 PM

Andrew Luck= Young Troy Aikman

With the 2012 NFL combine and draft quickly approaching, there is one prospect that Im really interested in seeing how his measurables are and how he performs at his pro day. That prospect is Andrew Luck himself and we now hear that he is working with George Whitfield who worked with last years #1 overall pick in Cam Newton. I like both QBs by the way and think that both will be great in the NFL. Now, in regards to Andrew Luck, I hate the comparisons that hes been receiving to Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan.
I think that those comparisons are not accurate at all. First of all, Luck is a big, strong, and fast kid that is both more physically gifted than both Manning and Ryan. He has a much stronger arm than both Manning and Ryan and he has a much sturdier frame than both coming out of college. Andrew Luck has a very strong arm and can make all the throws. Watching him on film, you can just see the ball jumping out of his hand, but he tries to put so much touch on it, it gives us the perception that there is a weakness there when there is simply not. Luck has a big arm and he will prove once he works out and once he is in the NFL.
Peyton and Matt Ryan are really not that physically impressive to me, nor were they when they came into the NFL. Luck is a naturally big, strong kid that reminds me of a young Troy Aikman. So with that being said, does anyone else agree with me that Luck physically looks like a young Troy Aikman? Please give me some feedback.

CashmoneyDrew 02-22-2012 12:56 PM

Why do people say Peyton Manning isn't physically impressive? 6'5" 230 pounds is big for a QB. And even though his arm isn't Ryan Leaf's or Jamarcus Russel's, it's definitely in (or was in) the top half of the league.

Bengalsrocket 02-22-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew (Post 2868363)
Why do people say Peyton Manning isn't physically impressive? 6'5" 230 pounds is big for a QB. And even though his arm isn't Ryan Leaf's or Jamarcus Russel's, it's definitely in (or was in) the top half of the league.

"top half of the league" isn't impressive, that's why. From where Peyton was ranked as a prospect, to being one of the best to ever play the game, he's never graded out at the top of the list as far as arm strength or athleticism are concerned. He's still got a really good arm - it just doesn't stack up to the strongest arms we've seen. Also I think he hit the "soft cap" of what you're capable of doing on a football field with arm strength long ago.

brat316 02-22-2012 01:13 PM

But if you read Manning's report its very similar to Luck. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...players/4.html

Quote:

Manning is probably the most prepared QB to enter the NFL draft in several years.. He has had a storybook college career, and has been in a top level program with excellent coaching, and he has maturity and great intangibles to go along with his natural skills.. He should be able to pick up the mental aspects of the game early on the NFL level, and should play very quickly. He has great overall field vision. He is a fierce competitor, and all of his mechanics are very solid. He has good arm strength, but not necessarily a “gun” that you might expect from a QB at the top of the draft.. He has adequate mobility and good overall AA, although he is not a scrambler by nature. He has done an excellent job of getting the most out of his abilities, but he is not quite as natural a player as Leaf. One question that some NFL scouts have is the question “will he get any better?”. At times he gives the appearance of being a self-made player, and sometimes those types of players don’t always go on to great NFL careers. In Manning’s case, he may be a solid and productive NFL QB, but he may not have Hall of Fame type skills, but it certainly won’t be for lack of effort.. He has probably been the most scouted player in the draft in recent years, and because that NFL teams tend to look too much at potential flaws, instead of accepting him for what he is, a great college QB that is on his way to an outstanding NFL career.

Though Manning has like some kind of OCD. YFS would be the first to point that out.

Sloopy 02-22-2012 01:29 PM

I don't think that Luck has a stronger arm than Manning period... Guy has a good enough arm but it's not super impressive.

Are you implying that Peyton Manning CAN'T make all the throws?

I don't know if you are implying that Manning's build wasn't impressive or that his physical tools weren't that impressive. Either way, wrong; Manning was what? 6'5" 245 coming out? (for some reason I recall him being heavier earlier in his career) Luck is 6'4" 235 lbs.

So Luck is both shorter and lighter (by my memory) than Manning was when he came out. Even if I'm wrong about him being heavier coming out, 5 Lbs?

If your referring to his physical tools:

I can't even seriously answer that and I'm hoping to god you this isn't what you meant.

The only talent Luck has over Manning coming out is ability to run.

brat316 02-22-2012 01:32 PM

Click the link, Manning 6'5 230.

Sloopy 02-22-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 2868463)
Click the link, Manning 6'5 230.

Alright, so Luck is 5 lbs heavier and an inch shorter. The point is that it's not like Luck is much more physically impressive than Manning was and he certainly isn't more physically gifted than Manning was.

Neither had/have cannons coming out.

dregolll 02-22-2012 01:36 PM

Peyton Manning was not 245llbs coming out of college. Manning was a toothpick back in college that built himself into that stature. Go back in look at him in college. Luck is a naturally big, strong kid with a "bigger" arm than Manning.

brat316 02-22-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dregolll (Post 2868476)
Peyton Manning was not 245llbs coming out of college. Manning was a toothpick back in college that built himself into that stature. Go back in look at him in college. Luck is a naturally big, strong kid with a "bigger" arm than Manning.

find me a scouting report like the one I have that says other wise.

Babylon 02-22-2012 01:43 PM

As for the original topic, Luck vs Aikman, i think Luck gives you a lot more mobility. Aikman was more of a pocket guy all the way whereas Luck can throw on the run. Aikman probably had a little more arm strength also.

Sloopy 02-22-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dregolll (Post 2868476)

WTH does "naturally big" mean? It's height and weight for the love of god.

I think that Luck may be thicker looking as he's 5 lbs heavier while being an inch shorter but Manning's and Luck's arms aren't all that far off of each others coming out.

Both had/have arms that could make all the throws but didn't necessarily have a lot extra to spare.

broncosfan 02-22-2012 02:07 PM

I don't know why people care so much about Luck's or Manning's arm strenght, WHO CARES!!!!!

Manning doesn't have the strongest arm ever, and he is an ALL-TIME GREAT. Luck appears to have the same, or slightly more or less strenght, so who cares who has the biggest arm, whoever it is it won't be for much.

Luck is an elite prospect because he is the complete package: height, weight, accuracy, played in a pro-style offense, perfect arm strenght, leadership, production and so on.

If you guys care so much about arm strenght , you're as good a scout as the people who selected Russell and Boller in round 1.

brat316 02-22-2012 02:13 PM

Luck is going to be Tim Tebow but with ability to pass.

Same size, same speed, but better YPC(lolz).

broncosfan 02-22-2012 02:24 PM

Luck is going to be like Newton, but with less ability to run.

descendency 02-22-2012 02:38 PM

Except he has way more talent.

Babylon 02-22-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 2868654)
Except he has way more talent.

Yeah. Better accuracy, vision, all that good stuff.

dregolll 02-22-2012 03:11 PM

Does Luck compare to a young Troy Aikman? In my opinion yes, similiar physical skills.

Vaylor 02-22-2012 03:43 PM

Andrew Luck is a bigger Tom Brady with vastly superior speed and athleticism plus the ability to throw accurate on the run.

Phins827 02-22-2012 04:02 PM

With the combine here, and pro days coming up, all the top prospects from around the country are coming together in one place to show off their skills. Alot of unknown players that have something to prove. And out of ALL of them, the person you are MOST interested in seeing, is the guy that's viewed as the sure-fire #1 pick?

Big Bird 02-22-2012 05:27 PM

This is an even worse comparison.

The knock on Luck is that he has good, but not great physical tools, similar to Peyton Manning or Matt Ryan. Troy Aikman was one of the most physically gifted quarterback prospects ever. Jerry Rhome, who was an offensive assistant with the Cowboys when they drafted him and worked him out at UCLA along with Tom Landry and Gil Brandt, said "His talent was otherworldly... it was the greatest workout I've ever seen. He was smooth as glass, and as strong as a bear. It was just, 'Wow!'"

I love Andrew Luck and he bests Aikman in many areas as a prospect, but he isn't on the same level as Aikman in terms of physical tools.

zachsaints52 02-22-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosfan (Post 2868600)
Luck is going to be like Newton, but with less ability to run.

Serious?!? Lol.

FUNBUNCHER 02-22-2012 06:08 PM

I still believe Luck's tendency to 'aim' the ball with touch instead of just making his read letting the ball rip has led to the misconception he can't put serious RPMs on the football or throw it 65-70 yards vertical.

IMO Luck's arm is better than good, not sure if it's elite. We won't know until he gets to the pros and he's throwing the ball 30 yards downfield to WRs who can actually run.

brat316 02-22-2012 06:11 PM

If you are on ESPN sport science you are pretty good. Though Colt McCoy, well Idk can't do it all himself.

bored of education 02-22-2012 06:25 PM

I miss YFS :(

DeathbyStat 02-22-2012 06:32 PM

So your saying Andrew Luck can win multiple super bowls if you pair him with a hall of fame RB, WR and the best Offensive line ever put together.