Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Bold Prediction: Vontaze Burfict Goes Undrafted (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51263)

BeerBaron 02-27-2012 02:13 PM

Bold Prediction: Vontaze Burfict Goes Undrafted

Seriously.

Throughout the the past year, I could probably count on one hand how many sites have even had him ranked as a first round talent, with plenty pushing him into the 80s or 90s.

A hotheaded player with elite physical talent is a really boiled down description of what I've seen and heard it would seem.

But now, you take away the "elite" from "physical talent" with a pair of Brandon Spikes-level awful combine runs and you're left with a hot headed player whose "first instinct is to swing on a guy" and you're left with garbage.

One scout couldn't believe the ASU coaching staff kept the guy around.

So my bold prediction is that no one touches him. He goes undrafted and that is that.

SuperPacker 02-27-2012 02:18 PM

Completely agree.

He has NO talent. Someone tell me what he's good at....

NOTHING!

He's slow, cant cover, cant get off blocks, **** instincts and a terrible attitude.

DiG 02-27-2012 02:20 PM

he is pretty good at watching from the sideline...

ATLDirtyBirds 02-27-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2876754)
Completely agree.

He has NO talent. Someone tell me what he's good at....

NOTHING!

He's slow, cant cover, cant get off blocks, **** instincts and a terrible attitude.

Watch the pop he makes on contact/at the POA.

He'll be drafted, no doubt. 3rd-4th.

BeerBaron 02-27-2012 02:21 PM

I'm starting to wonder what the hype was too. I caught few Arizona State games last year and really looked hard at him and couldn't figure it out. I thought maybe I just caught some bad games by him (I believe one he got benched after 2 personal foul penalties...)

Now I'm just done with him. Off my draft board he would go.

SuperPacker 02-27-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds (Post 2876761)

So he can hit hard? Find a random guy of the street that doesnt know the rules of football, but can hit hard and you'll have Vontaze Burfict.

AntoinCD 02-27-2012 02:22 PM

It's disappointing because the guy has major talent, but his aggressiveness is his downfall.

I never thought he was the kind of athlete some made him out to be. He explodes through his tackles with such verosity it makes him look faster than he is getting to the ball carrier, but I never saw the sideline to sideline fluidity needed.

He also lacks discipline and can get beaten with play action.

Before the season he was a risky prospect IMO and then it has just gone down hill. There's also the rumours that he absolutely bombed the interviews this week.

Some team may take a late round flyer on him but he's not a player I would want

redbills 02-27-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds (Post 2876761)

What's what I think. Someone will roll the dice in the 3-4 range.

BeerBaron 02-27-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 2876769)
It's disappointing because the guy has major talent, but his aggressiveness is his downfall.

I never thought he was the kind of athlete some made him out to be. He explodes through his tackles with such verosity it makes him look faster than he is getting to the ball carrier, but I never saw the sideline to sideline fluidity needed.

He also lacks gap discipline and can get beaten with play action.

Before the season he was a risky prospect IMO and then it has just gone down hill. There's also the rumours that he absolutely bombed the interviews this week.

Some team may take a late round plyer on him but he's not a player I would want

A link to those is in one of the links in my first post. That is where the "my first instinct is to swing at a guy" comment came from.

Also:

Quote:

"You just scratch your head at some of the knucklehead things he does on tape," said one NFL coach. "It was the same thing over and over and over again with him. He seemed to personify why that team always seemed to underachieve."
Ouch.

AntoinCD 02-27-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2876775)
A link to those is in one of the links in my first post. That is where the "my first instinct is to swing at a guy" comment came from.

Also:

Ouch.

Yeah im in work and can't open the link but it has been reported by a few people.

Throughout the last two years some teams (USC especially) basically went after him to piss him off and get a personal foul. That's inexcusable. It's bad enough giving away stupid penalties but when you get a reputation for it and still do it then you're just killing your team.

vidae 02-27-2012 02:28 PM

I'm pretty confident in Taze being drafted, but it won't be until laaaate.

BeerBaron 02-27-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 2876778)
Yeah im in work and can't open the link but it has been reported by a few people.

Throughout the last two years some teams (USC especially) basically went after him to piss him off and get a personal foul. That's inexcusable. It's bad enough giving away stupid penalties but when you get a reputation for it and still do it then you're just killing your team.

And NFL teams will do that too, no doubt. Like the Packers untying Suh's shoes after every play. They got under his skin and we all know the rest of the story.

When team know they can get a free 15 yards out of you, they'll go after you.

FUNBUNCHER 02-27-2012 02:30 PM

He's a headcase. Psychologically fragile. Reminds me a lot of Maurice Clarett.

jrdrylie 02-27-2012 02:32 PM

He'll be drafted, but it will be very late. If I had to make a guess, I'd say 5th round to Detroit. They seem to like having assholes on their defense.

killxswitch 02-27-2012 02:33 PM

Also, he is fat. Like, Alshon Jeffrey pre-combine fat.

vidae 02-27-2012 02:34 PM

He has a chance to improve a bit at his pro day, but man, it doesn't look good.

Shane P. Hallam 02-27-2012 02:34 PM

I like how Burfict gets through traffic and I see more explosion on film than the 40, I will be interested to see the shuttle and 3 cone times, maybe they will be better.

That being said, he has never been my top LB and more of a late 1st option. I still think he is worth a pick, a Day 2 pick even because he does pretty well in coverage, can get through coverage, and lays the lumber.

BeerBaron 02-27-2012 02:36 PM

I wouldn't say that the 5th is "very" late.

Look at it this way too...I would not draft head case, undisciplined players. And I wouldn't draft ultra slow, 5.00 40 running LBs...

Combine both into one player and he's not just off my draft board, I'm burning the card with his name on it.

ATLDirtyBirds 02-27-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2876766)
So he can hit hard? Find a random guy of the street that doesnt know the rules of football, but can hit hard and you'll have Vontaze Burfict.

Find a "random guy off the street" who has the first step Burfict has, along with his pop. You won't be able too. He's definitely a flawed prospect, but to say he's NOTHING, as you did, is just absurd.

Bengals78 02-27-2012 02:36 PM

But BB look!

First roundzzzz

TACKLE 02-27-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds (Post 2876808)
Find a "random guy off the street" who has the first step Burfict has, along with his pop. You won't be able too. He's definitely a flawed prospect, but to say he's NOTHING, as you did, is just absurd.

Find a "single player in this draft" who has the pop Burfict does.

BeerBaron 02-27-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals78 (Post 2876809)
But BB look!

First roundzzzz

You know though....he does seem to be a Bengals type of player. And don't they have two firsts? Hmmm....

FUNBUNCHER 02-27-2012 02:38 PM

Maualuga is a way better ILB prospect than Burfict in almost every category, despite both having a rep for being serious thumpers.

He just seems like he's burned out or something on playing the game of football.
Burfict showed up at the combine like he didn't give a ****.

Bengals78 02-27-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2876812)
You know though....he does seem to be a Bengals type of player. And don't they have two firsts? Hmmm....

Im fully aware that a Jenkins/Burfict first round only makes too much sense....

vidae 02-27-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2876807)
Combine both into one player and he's not just off my draft board, I'm burning the card with his name on it.

This made me lol so hard.