Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2012 NFL Draft Scouting Reports (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51513)

Matthew Jones 03-10-2012 06:54 PM

2012 NFL Draft Scouting Reports
 
2012 NFL Draft Scouting Reports

Quarterback

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford* (6'4", 234, 4.67)


Scouting report coming soon!
2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor* (6'2", 223, 4.41)





3. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M (6'4", 221, N/A)





4. Nick Foles, Arizona (6'5", 243, 5.14)





5. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma St. (6'4", 221, 4.95*)





6. Brock Osweiler, Arizona St.* (6'7”, 242, N/A)





7. Kirk Cousins, Michigan St. (6'3", 219, 4.93)





8. B.J. Coleman, Chattanooga (6'3", 233, N/A)





9. Ryan Lindley, San Diego St. (6'4", 229, 4.90)





10. Chandler Harnish, Northern Illinois (6'2", 219, 4.76)





Halfback

1. Trent Richardson, Alabama* (5'9”, 228, N/A)



2. Lamar Miller, Miami (FL)** (5'11”, 212, 4.40)



3. David Wilson, Virginia Tech* (5'10”, 206, 4.49)



4. Doug Martin, Boise St. (5'9”, 223, 4.55)





5. LaMichael James, Oregon* (5'8”, 194, 4.45)





6. Robert Turbin, Utah St.* (5'10”, 222, 4.50)





7. Cyrus Gray, Texas A&M (5'10”, 206, 4.47)



8. Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati (5'10”, 197, 4.47)



9. Bernard Pierce, Temple* (6'0”, 218, 4.49)





10. Vick Ballard, Mississippi St. (5'10”, 219, 4.65)





More coming soon!

SuperPacker 03-10-2012 06:55 PM

Spoilers to make it easier to read!

Matthew Jones 03-10-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2895096)
Spoilers to make it easier to read!

Good call, I forgot about those. Updated.

SuperPacker 03-10-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2895104)
Good call, I forgot about those. Updated.

Great work man! You should be getting paid for this.

PAY THE MAN SCOTT!

RaiderNation 03-10-2012 07:12 PM

Keep them coming! Good work MJ

SF Dolphin Fan 03-10-2012 07:48 PM

Well done. As far as ranked order I'd switch Foles and Cousins, but other than that we'd be in agreement. Where do you think Weeden would be drafted if he were 22 instead of 28?

Matthew Jones 03-10-2012 07:51 PM

B.J. Coleman is up! Harnish is next.

Matthew Jones 03-10-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan (Post 2895188)
Well done. As far as ranked order I'd switch Foles and Cousins, but other than that we'd be in agreement. Where do you think Weeden would be drafted if he were 22 instead of 28?

I could easily see him going in the late first or early second round if that were the case, but he's six years ahead of these guys. Remember John Beck? Age does matter.

Matthew Jones 03-10-2012 08:15 PM

Harnish is up, but may be swapping spots with Ryan Lindley after I review my notes. Lindley's next.

Matthew Jones 03-10-2012 08:31 PM

Lindley is up! Ended up swapping him with Harnish because of the tools.

SenorGato 03-11-2012 03:24 AM

I like Lindley...I like Cousins too, but I feel like Lindley is a cross between Cousins and Osweiler. More physically gifted than Cousins and more experienced and polished than Oswieler. I would take Cousins first probably, but I like Lindley best of all the non first guy.

What's up with Aaron Corp besides that haircut?

Caddy 03-11-2012 03:42 AM

Just out of curiosity, how do you come to these views? How much tape do you watch?

Matthew Jones 03-11-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 2895480)
Just out of curiosity, how do you come to these views? How much tape do you watch?

I usually try to watch a couple games from a guy like Harnish and thee or four from a bigger prospect; I take some notes on the games and then compare them against the Combine, etc. Obviously, some players are more difficult to watch than others. Earlier on in the season a lot of video was available on ESPN3, which is how I saw Dontari Poe play against Arkansas St. and Middle Tennessee for example. If I make an observation and then it's supported by the workouts, I'm pretty confident in it. With a guy Poe, my personal opinion of him based on the two games was much lower than what seems to be the consensus draft opinion so that's something I'd try to revisit.

Matthew Jones 03-11-2012 09:51 AM

Tannehill is up! Going to transcribe my thoughts on Griffin next.

Matthew Jones 03-11-2012 09:56 AM

Tannehill's one of the most underrated players in the draft at this point. More accurate and mentally advanced than Jake Locker was last year, and his running style is less likely to get him injured. Locker had a much stronger arm though. Purely based on his arm strength and accuracy Tannehill is probably closer to Matt Ryan than Locker.

Matthew Jones 03-11-2012 10:08 AM

Just posted the Griffin writeup. Really trying to finish the QBs today so I can post the RB rankings.

Pontus 03-11-2012 10:10 AM

I truly do appreciate this, but posting the games and criteria you base your evaluations on would really add to your already great work.

Thanks!

SuperPacker 03-11-2012 10:36 AM

I like Tannehill and wouldnt think it was too bad if a team picked him in the top 10. But i definitely think he would need to sit for at least a year to learn how to play quarterback.

Matthew Jones 03-11-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2895544)
I like Tannehill and wouldnt think it was too bad if a team picked him in the top 10. But i definitely think he would need to sit for at least a year to learn how to play quarterback.

The chances of a top draft pick at quarterback getting a chance to sit as a rookie are slim nowadays and more of the exception than the rule. Whoever drafts Tannehill is going to need him to play as a rookie because he will be substantially more talented than the other quarterbacks on a roster such as Cleveland, Miami, or Seattle. Fortunately he has already played in a very advanced collegiate offense with snaps under center, adjustments, a variety of different throws, progressions, etc. and against a high level of competition. I don't know if he'd set the world on fire as a rookie but he wouldn't embarrass himself either and with a quality supporting cast he could win some games.

SuperPacker 03-11-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2895553)
The chances of a top draft pick at quarterback getting a chance to sit as a rookie are slim nowadays and more of the exception than the rule. Whoever drafts Tannehill is going to need him to play as a rookie because he will be substantially more talented than the other quarterbacks on a roster such as Cleveland, Miami, or Seattle. Fortunately he has already played in a very advanced collegiate offense with snaps under center, adjustments, a variety of different throws, progressions, etc. and against a high level of competition. I don't know if he'd set the world on fire as a rookie but he wouldn't embarrass himself either and with a quality supporting cast he could win some games.

They could all easily bring in a guy like Orton or Campbell to start infront of him. If he went to Seattle or Miami i think he could sit behind Jackson or Moore for a year. I'm all for starting a quarterback from the get go but not Tannehill. He just hasnt played QB long enough. I think it could be detrimental to his career if we was put in not knowing what to do.

Matthew Jones 03-12-2012 01:10 AM

Added the halfbacks to the rankings! I still need to post a scouting report for Luck before moving onto the RBs though, so things may change when I review my notes.

vidae 03-12-2012 01:20 AM

Can't wait for that Luck review. Good job ROP.

duesouth 03-12-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2895531)
Tannehill's one of the most underrated players in the draft at this point. More accurate and mentally advanced than Jake Locker was last year, and his running style is less likely to get him injured. Locker had a much stronger arm though. Purely based on his arm strength and accuracy Tannehill is probably closer to Matt Ryan than Locker.

Don't agree at all.

Tannehill's problem is that he takes too long to make his decision. Watch his eyes and the ball - thinks, thinks - sometimes double clutches - then decides - pats the ball, then throws. He had more passes batted down at the line than Russell Wilson because of this - plus some horrible INT's from staring down receivers. I watched 8 of his games and I'm having a hard time with the evaluation - yeah, the raw tools are there - at times on the out routes to Fuller looks advanced - but other times looks very unsure of himself. I could certainly make a case for waiting until round 2 and taking a Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins - or for that matter even later for Ryan Lindley.

I think Tannehill needs to sit for a year - if he starts from day one I think he'll have real problems.

Matthew Jones 03-12-2012 11:03 PM

Just posted writeups on Doug Martin, LaMichael James, and Robert Turbin.

Matthew Jones 03-12-2012 11:36 PM

Vick Ballard and Bernard Pierce added. I want to go back and watch a little bit more of Lamar Miller to see how he does in pass protection before I choose between him and Wilson.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.