Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Redskins & Cowboys Slapped for Cap Fraud (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51558)

FordFairlane 03-13-2012 09:54 AM

Redskins & Cowboys Slapped for Cap Fraud
 
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...-loading-deals

They are taking away 36 million away from the Skins and 10 Million away from the Cowboys for front loading contracts during the uncapped season. Tis Tis.

So much for "great cap management" from the Redskins. :)

Scott Wright 03-13-2012 09:55 AM

Stay tuned on this...

The NFL signed off on those contracts and Jerry Jones / Dan Synder aren't the type that will take this lying down. I have a feeling the courts are going to get involved before this is over.

FordFairlane 03-13-2012 10:00 AM

"The Redskins and Cowboys, despite warnings from the NFL not to do so, front-loaded contracts to create more salary cap room going forward"

They were warned. They can cry about it and try to sue but the bottom line they cheated. They will get no sympathy from the other 30 teams who followed the rules.

critesy 03-13-2012 10:25 AM

bottom line is it wasnt in writing so have fun in court.

FordFairlane 03-13-2012 10:34 AM

Well, Free agency starts in 5 1/2 hours. Don't think the courts really matter at this point. If they "win" it'll be months from now and they can suck all their cheated cap room because it won't matter. Do you think Goodell waited right before free agency for nothing?

FUNBUNCHER 03-13-2012 11:06 AM

Can you say, 'delay the start of the season' until this is resolved?

Goodell kicked a hornet's nest on this one.

The OP is gloating and doesn't know what the case is about. Typical.
I HOPE Danny finds his inner Al Davis. This is gonna get good.

TheFinisher 03-13-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordFairlane (Post 2899202)
Well, Free agency starts in 5 1/2 hours. Don't think the courts really matter at this point. If they "win" it'll be months from now and they can suck all their cheated cap room because it won't matter. Do you think Goodell waited right before free agency for nothing?

You don't have to be under the cap until months from now, if they plan on fighting this then it won't stop them from being aggressive in FA.

FordFairlane 03-13-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2899242)
Can you say, 'delay the start of the season' until this is resolved?

Goodell kicked a hornet's nest on this one.

The OP is gloating and doesn't know what the case is about. Typical.
I HOPE Danny finds his inner Al Davis. This is gonna get good.

No, I can't. This won't delay the start of the season, preseason, training camp, OTA's, the draft, or free agency.

I remember when the uncapped year happened and on the Steeler Nation message board I said the Steelers should load up on a bunch of young players contracts that year. That way when the salary cap was back on we'd have a bunch of cap room. Then someone found an article stating teams couldn't do that. So if I knew you couldn't do it so did Snyder and Jones. They probably thought they were sneaky and wouldn't get caught but they did. It's not like Goodell is taking away cap space. He is just putting it back where it belongs.

FordFairlane 03-13-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFinisher (Post 2899251)
You don't have to be under the cap until months from now, if they plan on fighting this then it won't stop them from being aggressive in FA.

wtf are you talking about? If you don't have the cap room you can't sign a player to a contract. It's really that simple.

FordFairlane 03-13-2012 11:21 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

Read up buddy.

The new collective bargaining agreement formulated in 2011 has a salary cap of $120 million and a salary floor of $108 million, representing 90% of the cap. The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap include fines of up to $5 million, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks.

The Dude Abides 03-13-2012 11:28 AM

We are saying that they are cheaters because they were warned? The NFL is at fault for not passing this as a rule. We are warned against doing all kinds of stuff constantly, it doesn't stop us. Snyder and Jones pulled a shrewd business move proving why they are billionaires... and we're not

Taber21 03-13-2012 11:28 AM

They could gamble and choose to have most/all of these fines held out for next year and bank on winning in court. Not a very wise decision, imo, but it is something they could choose to do.

FordFairlane 03-13-2012 11:36 AM

What will probably happen is the Skins and Boys will not be able to land any big name free agent because of this. They'll go to arbitration and Goodell will give them both some cap space back.

FUNBUNCHER 03-13-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordFairlane (Post 2899285)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

Read up buddy.

The new collective bargaining agreement formulated in 2011 has a salary cap of $120 million and a salary floor of $108 million, representing 90% of the cap. The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap include fines of up to $5 million, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks.


Several teams during the uncapped season in 2010 never came close to spending the $108 mil salary cap floor. Many spent barely $90 mil in 2010. You can guess which teams they were.:helmet:

So why aren't they being hit with a fine covering the difference they were under the cap floor?? Crazy.

This enforcement is just so random, Goodell is going to have to deal or lawyer up because I doubt the NFL wants to have it's business exposed in public then have to reveal in court the amount of antitrust statutes they violate as a matter of daily business.

Keep kicking Danny Boy and he's gonna snitch.

Steady Lurkin 03-13-2012 11:52 AM

So what happens if they just choose to ignore Goodell and the league? How does the league actually, ya know, enforce something that wasn't in the by-laws or in writing?

Do they really want to get the NFLPA involved as well in a collusion suit?

FordFairlane 03-13-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady Lurkin (Post 2899346)
So what happens if they just choose to ignore Goodell and the league? How does the league actually, ya know, enforce something that wasn't in the by-laws or in writing?

Do they really want to get the NFLPA involved as well in a collusion suit?

No. If they tried to sign a player that brought them over what the league says their cap is they wouldn't sign off on it. Meaning they can try to sign a player but if the league doesn't stamp the approval it isn't going to happen.

Goodell probably knows he will have to bend on the issue and give back some cap space but he waited until free agency started on purpose. Because with the cap space the Skins have they would have went buck wild today and tomorrow and you know the boys would have signed at least one big name free agent. Well, now they can't and by the time they settle this all those big name free agents will be long gone.

FUNBUNCHER 03-13-2012 12:04 PM

It's going to be hard for the Skins to entice top FAs if there's a fear that contract could be voided by the league.

FordFairlane 03-13-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2899340)
Several teams during the uncapped season in 2010 never came close to spending the $108 mil salary cap floor. Many spent barely $90 mil in 2010. You can guess which teams they were.:helmet:

So why aren't they being hit with a fine covering the difference they were under the cap floor?? Crazy.

This enforcement is just so random, Goodell is going to have to deal or lawyer up because I doubt the NFL wants to have it's business exposed in public then have to reveal in court the amount of antitrust statutes they violate as a matter of daily business.

Keep kicking Danny Boy and he's gonna snitch.

Team didn't have to spend any particular amount or be under the cap. Hell, the Steelers were over the cap. But they also didn't front load Troy Polamalu's, James Harrison, and Ben Roethlisberger contracts either. They just kept everything the same. The Skins and Boys went out of their way and against what was argeed on to front load contracts to make cap space. I am sure what happened is some teams complained and Goodell looked into it and figured he had to do something. So he waited until the start of free agency and bam pulled the trigger. Now the Cowboys and Redskins are scrambling to figure out their options instead of preparing to contact free agents.

In the end the Skins and Boys will still get away with cheating. I mean next years cap I am sure was affected also and they won't have to own up to that at all. And in the end they will probably get some cap room back which they wouldn't of had if they wouldn't have cheated. So they will come out ahead. But I am actually happy Goodell did this now. They cheated and need to own up to it. I am actually more upset at this than the saints and their bounty bs. At least that was players putting up their own money. This is owners manipulating the cap. Not cool.

DiG 03-13-2012 12:13 PM

why are there two threads

Trogdor 03-13-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty (Post 2899396)
why are there two threads

OP wanted to have his own thread to spew garbage without evidence.

The only "facts" we know so far.

* Multiple teams signed front-loaded contracts or cut players that had high cap penalties.

* The highest two spenders during 2010's uncapped year were Dallas and Washington.

* NFL announced the sanctions and now has a complete gag on all information.

* Both teams have denied wrongdoing.

Anything other than what is posted above is hearsay and an opinion. So OP is just spewing crap about "no one will sign big FAs" or "cheater cheater pumpkin eater" comments. The CBA had an uncapped year and Jerry and Dan took advantage (as did a lot of other owners) to make it easier on the cap later.

If you want examples use google. The Packers had just an egregious contract in Nick Collins as the 'Boys did with Miles Austin.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.