Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Better Arm - Luck or Griffin? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51759)

Caulibflower 03-22-2012 04:23 PM

Better Arm - Luck or Griffin?

We know Griffin's the "athlete" and Luck's the "prototype," but who really throws a better pass? When I watch Luck, it seems like he throws quite a few knuckle-y balls, even though his anticipation of windows, understanding of defenses and accuracy are all good. There's also always the questions about his deep ball. Not problematic, but not elite. Griffin's knocked for all the crossing routes he threw in college, but is generally considered to have a really good deep ball. And I don't really have a strong opinion on either, but am curious to see what people think of these guys purely on a basis of the quality of the passes they throw. So I'm not even talking about the anticipating stuff, or reading coverages or whatever, but... I suppose I'm asking who's throws look better in these scripted workouts - who's got better zip, a tighter spiral, drops it better into the deep corner. Thoughts?

(somewhat prompted by seeing that Scott describes Griffin's arm strength as "elite" in the scouting report that just went up. Not sure I was really under that impression.)

SuperPacker 03-22-2012 04:26 PM

Griffins arm is overrated and Lucks arm is underrated.

indyfan1985 03-22-2012 04:29 PM

While RG3 has a little more arm strength and velocity, Luck's arm is better everywhere else. Luck surpasses Griffin in touch and accuracy.

Btw, Luck has a pretty strong arm too. Just saw him throw a 70 plus yarder against the wind in his pro day. And he looked effortless doing it.

San Diego Chicken 03-22-2012 07:56 PM

Luck has much better strength in his trunk, so theoretically he should be able to heave it farther and with more velocity, but I've always noticed his mechanics can get quirky and unbalanced and he'd lose arm strength on certain throws.

Griffin has very strong shoulders and usually gets balanced on his intermediate & deep passes so he's shown a larger catalog in college of "uumph" throws. But at max potential Luck should develop the better overall arm power.

gator3guy 03-22-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan1985 (Post 2917344)
Btw, Luck has a pretty strong arm too. Just saw him throw a 70 plus yarder against the wind in his pro day. And he looked effortless doing it.

I believe that was with the wind actually. They switched sides. Not taking anything away from it however.

Mitchell 03-22-2012 09:31 PM

Griffin has the better arm.

But Luck's instincts are second to none when it comes to QB prospects in the last ten years give or take. That's what makes him special.

mightytitan9 03-22-2012 09:36 PM

In terms of arm strength Griffin has the better arm no question.

I think he clearly has the better accuracy on passes over 15 yards as well.

If you drafted purely on arm, Griffin would be the number one pick. Then again, Ryan Mallett would have been the number one pick last year lol

WCH 03-22-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken (Post 2917686)
Luck has much better strength in his trunk, so theoretically he should be able to heave it farther and with more velocity, but I've always noticed his mechanics can get quirky and unbalanced and he'd lose arm strength on certain throws.

Griffin has very strong shoulders and usually gets balanced on his intermediate & deep passes so he's shown a larger catalog in college of "uumph" throws. But at max potential Luck should develop the better overall arm power.

Those have been my general observations, as well.

alexthegr8 03-22-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2917342)
Griffins arm is overrated and Lucks arm is underrated.

I agree with the Luck statement, but I think Griffin's arm is rated properly by most. I've seen him throw deep comebacks on a line with the ball just exploding out of his hand. His quick twitch athleticism extends to his arm, and as long as people don't put him in the Vick category of arm strength, I'm very satisfied with him being compared vis-a-vis almost anyone else in the league.

cajuncorey 03-22-2012 11:29 PM

griffin has a very cam newton arm. andrew luck looks like a chad pennington / tim rattay clone

Babylon 03-23-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cajuncorey (Post 2917919)
griffin has a very cam newton arm. andrew luck looks like a chad pennington / tim rattay clone

I think we've officially entered the twilight zone.

mightytitan9 03-23-2012 12:51 AM

I think Luck is very similar to Aaron Rodgers coming out. He was questioned on his arm strength and now he has one of the strongest arms in the league. People also questioned Peyton and his is one of the strongest.

Once Luck gets in an NFL training regime I think his arm strength will develop more than it has and people won't think twice about it

alexthegr8 03-23-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightytitan9 (Post 2917954)
I think Luck is very similar to Aaron Rodgers coming out. He was questioned on his arm strength and now he has one of the strongest arms in the league. People also questioned Peyton and his is one of the strongest.

Once Luck gets in an NFL training regime I think his arm strength will develop more than it has and people won't think twice about it

The funny thing about this post is that I actually think Griffin's arm reminds me of current Rodgers'. The range of field RG3 can touch right now, the zip on the intermediate throws, the accuracy to all levels from the pocket, the ability to throw accurately on the move, the ability to generate power after breaking contain, the ability to reset and throw from multiple platforms with juice. It just reminds me of Rodgers quite a bit.

I wholeheartedly agree with your broader point though. I believe that just like no one even mentions arm strength as a flaw for Manning now, in a season or so people won't even bring up any once-perceived physical limitations when it comes to Luck. The kid is the total package and if I was a GM for a team, I'm take him number one for sure.

indyfan1985 03-23-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Really? You just compared Luck with Chad Pennington and Tim Rattay huh? WTF? Luck has WAY better arm strength than those two guys, and ummm need I say more?

descendency 03-23-2012 02:16 AM

RG3's arm is better.

FUNBUNCHER 03-23-2012 03:53 AM

I never had questions about Luck's arm strength. He's got a strong arm period.

RGIII however seems to put more zip and RPMs on most of his passes, the ball seems to get there faster when he throws compared to Luck.

Both these guys were offered scholarships by Harbaugh at Stanford, but when Luck declared first RGIII looked for another school.

THe real difference between them as prospects IMO is that Luck is physically bigger,(I'd put Luck in the same uber-athletic tier as Tim Tebow and if Luck had run Urban Meyer's spread option at UF he would have re-written the record books), and that Luck has benefited from better coaching in college.

In four years I expect both to be top 5-7 QBs in the league.

shylo3716 03-23-2012 06:46 AM

The problem I see is, who did Luck have on that Stanford squad to sling it 60 yards down the field?

RG3 had a block burner in Kendal Wright to chuck it deep every play if he chose to, so this thread is irrelevant especially when everyone knows that Luck's primary targets were his TEs.

THREAD CLOSED!

Caulibflower 03-23-2012 06:54 AM

Thanks, shy.

shylo3716 03-23-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 2918028)
Thanks, shy.

No problem.

cajuncorey 03-23-2012 02:15 PM

got some luck homers in here... hehehe

Steady Lurkin 03-23-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

RG3's arm is Rivers-esque. Luck, meanwhile, is a giant Rich Gannon.

ATLDirtyBirds 03-23-2012 03:28 PM

Read what Cossell wrote today.

soybean 03-23-2012 03:34 PM

are some of you guys serious? Luck was terrible in college at the deep ball.

redbills 03-23-2012 04:45 PM

RGIII deep ball is fing crazy good.

JRTPlaya21 03-23-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds (Post 2918562)
Read what Cossell wrote today.

Great read. Thanks ATL. Personally I was more impresssed with RG3's pro day.