Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2012 NFL Draft Rumors (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51856)

Hines 03-29-2012 05:37 PM

2012 NFL Draft Rumors
 
With the draft a little under a month away, a lot of rumors are pushed out in the open. Any rumors/smokescreens you can find on the web, post in this thread. I'll start out by some things I found on Rotoworld.


NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Browns are "thinking of selecting" Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill with the fourth overall pick next month.
Several sources tell LaCanfora the Browns are "monitoring Tannehill closely and have favorable scouting reports" on the QB. The report doesn't tell us much more than was already assumed. With four weeks to decide whether to pull the trigger on Tannehill, the Browns have no reason to show other teams anything other than serious interest. For what it's worth, ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi believes the Browns are still "leaning against" drafting Tannehill or Brandon Weeden.


The Denver Post expects the Broncos to use their first-round pick on a defensive tackle.
Penn State's Devon Still could be an inviting possibility at No. 25. Other options may include LSU's Michael Brockers, Michigan State's Jerel Worthy, and UConn's Kendall Reyes. Still would be more desirable than the others, particularly from a production standpoint. The Broncos lost Brodrick Bunkley in free agency, and haven't had an elite interior D-Lineman in quite some time.


Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 Arizona is "hearing" that the Cardinals prefer Stanford OG David DeCastro over Stanford OT Jonathan Martin, assuming both make it to the No. 13 overall pick.
DeCastro better fits the Cardinals' mentality from a physicality standpoint. This also suggests Arizona is looking more for interior linemen than tackles at this point, although the team needs help in both areas. There's little doubt DeCastro is a better prospect than his college teammate, regardless of position.

twiz 03-29-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines (Post 2926781)


NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Browns are "thinking of selecting" Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill with the fourth overall pick next month.
Several sources tell LaCanfora the Browns are "monitoring Tannehill closely and have favorable scouting reports" on the QB. The report doesn't tell us much more than was already assumed. With four weeks to decide whether to pull the trigger on Tannehill, the Browns have no reason to show other teams anything other than serious interest. For what it's worth, ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi believes the Browns are still "leaning against" drafting Tannehill or Brandon Weeden.

Please be true. Please.

Scotty D 03-29-2012 05:51 PM

Watch the Dolphins trade in front of the Browns.

twiz 03-29-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty D (Post 2926822)
Watch the Dolphins trade in front of the Browns.

I'd do a happy dance.

I'm not the biggest Colt fan, but I'm not Tannehill fan either. Plus I think McCoy's had a raw deal so far. His arm strength is going to limit him and next season it's definitely possible the team wants a franchise QB, but Tannehill's too much of a project right now and Cleveland is lacking a lot of talent on offense. Get some weapons and blockers, see how McCoy does with a full offseason, then make a decision on QB next offseason.

RaiderNation 03-29-2012 06:13 PM

Not saying it's a rumor, but I think there is the possibility Cleveland and Jacksonville potentially switch 1st round picks. Jaguars getting Blackmon, Browns get Richardson/Tannehill at 7.

Also it's starting to seem like Quinton Coples to the Panthers at 9 might be a lock, and David DeCastro should be drafted in the 11-13 range not getting by Arizona at 13.

gpngc 03-29-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 2926836)
Not saying it's a rumor, but I think there is the possibility Cleveland and Jacksonville potentially switch 1st round picks. Jaguars getting Blackmon, Browns get Richardson/Tannehill at 7.

Also it's starting to seem like Quinton Coples to the Panthers at 9 might be a lock, and David DeCastro should be drafted in the 11-13 range not getting by Arizona at 13.

Explain this.

Matthew Jones 03-29-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2926838)
Explain this.

The Panthers have been extremely interested in Coples throughout the draft process and as a local talent he is somewhat of a known quantity. However there is also the possibility of a smokescreen. Michael Brockers visited with Carolina and Dontari Poe could be another option there.

RaiderNation 03-29-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2926838)
Explain this.

He's worked out for them multiple times, and is exactly the type of player needed on this dline. They spent 2 high picks on DT's last year, and Coples offers the ability to play some DE accross Charles Johnson, and see some time inside at DT as well. People seem to think a DT like Poe/Brockers/Cox would be the pick, but I think Rivera wants a player that can play all over the line like Tuck is doing. Cox is the next guy IMO after Coples in line for the Panthers 9, also Kuechly as well.

RWills 03-29-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty D (Post 2926822)
Watch the Dolphins trade in front of the Browns.

or KC in fornt of Miami

RWills 03-29-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 2926842)
He's worked out for them multiple times, and is exactly the type of player needed on this dline. They spent 2 high picks on DT's last year, and Coples offers the ability to play some DE accross Charles Johnson, and see some time inside at DT as well. People seem to think a DT like Poe/Brockers/Cox would be the pick, but I think Rivera wants a player that can play all over the line like Tuck is doing. Cox is the next guy IMO after Coples in line for the Panthers 9, also Kuechly as well.

I was thinking Poe/Cox but wouldn't be shocked to see Kuechly or Gilmore

Bald_81 03-29-2012 06:33 PM

If the Browns want Tannehill, I don't see why they wouldn't trade with the Jaguars. The Bucaneers wouldn't trade back with the Dolphins and miss out on Richardson/Claiborne and the same goes for the Rams, so Miami would have to make a whopper of an offer. It makes too much sense if they wanted him.

IND - Luck
WAS - RG3
MIN - Kalil
JAC - Blackmon
TB - Claiborne/Richardson
STL - Claiborne/Richardson
CLE - Tannehill

They get extra picks out of it and still get their man. Cleveland definitely has the most intriguing pick of the entire top ten because which ever direction they go will dictate the rest of the selections.

Scott Wright 03-29-2012 06:34 PM

The Browns are doing their best to convince teams they might take Tannehill in an effort to elicit trade offers, but I don't think the Dolphins will bite on what appears to be a smoke screen.

Bald_81 03-29-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2926859)
The Browns are doing their best to convince teams they might take Tannehill in an effort to elicit trade offers, but I don't think the Dolphins will bite on what appears to be a smoke screen.

Wouldn't Blackmon or Claiborne generate a great deal of more trade interest from teams like Jacksonville and Carolina than throwing Tannehill's name out there?

Matthew Jones 03-29-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald_81 (Post 2926862)
Wouldn't Blackmon or Claiborne generate a great deal of more trade interest from teams like Jacksonville and Carolina than throwing Tannehill's name out there?

Yes, but the Browns have also been rumored to be targeting Richardson, Blackmon, and Claiborne. They're trying to maximize trade interest.

twiz 03-29-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald_81 (Post 2926856)
If the Browns want Tannehill, I don't see why they wouldn't trade with the Jaguars. The Bucaneers wouldn't trade back with the Dolphins and miss out on Richardson/Claiborne and the same goes for the Rams, so Miami would have to make a whopper of an offer. It makes too much sense if they wanted him.

IND - Luck
WAS - RG3
MIN - Kalil
JAC - Blackmon
TB - Claiborne/Richardson
STL - Claiborne/Richardson
CLE - Tannehill

They get extra picks out of it and still get their man. Cleveland definitely has the most intriguing pick of the entire top ten because which ever direction they go will dictate the rest of the selections.

Why wouldn't Miami trade up then?

Matthew Jones 03-29-2012 06:43 PM

The Browns could easily trade down to number seven and still land one of their targets because there are six prospects considered "elite" (Luck, Griffin, Richardson, Blackmon, Kalil, Claiborne) with Tannehill being the fallback option if those six are all taken. If Miami trades up for Tannehill one of the other players (likely Richardson, Blackmon, or Claiborne) becomes available; the Browns may be able to move down and still get their intended target.

twiz 03-29-2012 07:10 PM

I really wish I understood why Tannehill is getting the hype he is. I don't remember hearing or reading about him at all during the season, but as soon as Barkley and Jones decided to stay, he's a top 5 guy?

Scott Wright 03-29-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald_81 (Post 2926862)
Wouldn't Blackmon or Claiborne generate a great deal of more trade interest from teams like Jacksonville and Carolina than throwing Tannehill's name out there?

Oh, they are throwing Claiborne and Blackmon's names around as well.

It's beginning to look more and more like the Browns are going to continue their trend of passing on blue-chip talents and going for quantity or quality. How is that working out?

Scott Wright 03-29-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twiz (Post 2926895)
I really wish I understood why Tannehill is getting the hype he is. I don't remember hearing or reading about him at all during the season, but as soon as Barkley and Jones decided to stay, he's a top 5 guy?

I've had Tannehill ranked as a first rounder all year long...

twiz 03-29-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2926897)
I've had Tannehill ranked as a first rounder all year long...

Ok, but I still don't understand the hype.

(plus I'm not here often during the season...)

twiz 03-29-2012 07:13 PM

Ok, I can see him has a late first rounder/project, but as a top 5 guy I feel like he should have undisputed franchise-caliber ability. I don't see it.

gpngc 03-29-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2926859)
The Browns are doing their best to convince teams they might take Tannehill in an effort to elicit trade offers, but I don't think the Dolphins will bite on what appears to be a smoke screen.

Why do you assume that the Browns interest in Tannehill is not sincere?

Also, if Tannehill goes to the Browns before pick #8, I could see the Dolphins shocking everyone and taking Weeden at #8...

Finsfan79 03-29-2012 07:21 PM

If miami trades up, I hope it is for blackmon personally. I think tannehill is a reach at 8 but even worse if we give up further assets with our numerous holes to jump up. I wouldnt be surprised if we trade back again as we always do.

RWills 03-29-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2926896)
Oh, they are throwing Claiborne and Blackmon's names around as well.

It's beginning to look more and more like the Browns are going to continue their trend of passing on blue-chip talents and going for quantity or quality. How is that working out?

True but I would take Mack plus picks for Sanchez

RWills 03-29-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twiz (Post 2926900)
Ok, I can see him has a late first rounder/project, but as a top 5 guy I feel like he should have undisputed franchise-caliber ability. I don't see it.

I have him rated higher than Ponder and he went 12


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.