Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Every Throw of Ryan Tannehill's Pro Day (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51864)

gpngc 03-30-2012 02:29 AM

Every Throw of Ryan Tannehill's Pro Day

http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2717

Enjoy.

Two balls hit the ground.

RaiderNation 03-30-2012 03:33 AM

I hate the Alex Smith comparison Scott did with Tannehill, I see a more Jay Cutler/Mark Sanchez type player.

Scott Wright 03-30-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 2927302)
I hate the Alex Smith comparison Scott did with Tannehill, I see a more Jay Cutler/Mark Sanchez type player.

I actually like the comparison a lot.

A tall, athletic but relatively raw quarterback who is extremely smart with excellent intangibles.

That sounds exactly like Alex Smith when he was coming out of college.

RaiderNation 03-30-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2927304)

A tall, athletic but relatively raw quarterback who is extremely smart with excellent intangibles.

I think Tannehill is a better overall athlete than Smith coming out, but I do see where you see some Smith in how he plays. I just think Tannehill will end up much better than Smith has, maybe he gets the time to sit and learn unlike Alex.

ChiFan24 03-30-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 2927302)

In what sense are Jay Cutler and Mark Sanchez similar?

Caulibflower 03-30-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2927304)

Not Sanchez, but maybe a mix of Alex Smith and Cutler. Cutler's arm, Smith's intangibles and reputation, and a hell of a lot less experience than either. I think Cutler-Smith gives you a better impression than one or the other.

Ngatachance92 03-30-2012 05:58 AM

To me he seems like a mixture of half man half bear-pig, or half pig half manbear.

Asteinebach 03-30-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 2927305)
I think Tannehill is a better overall athlete than Smith coming out, but I do see where you see some Smith in how he plays. I just think Tannehill will end up much better than Smith has, maybe he gets the time to sit and learn unlike Alex.

I wouldn't put them too far apart, athletically. If I remember right, Alex had like 500 yards rushing and 10 TD's on the ground the year he was drafted. But again, he was a Run-n-Gun kinda QB.

cjrugger 03-30-2012 10:24 AM

Why is he throwing to stationary targets?

keylime_5 03-30-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2927306)
In what sense are Jay Cutler and Mark Sanchez similar?

yeah really......so, he has a rocket arm, but he also is terrible most of the time????

OaklandRaider56 03-30-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2927479)
yeah really......so, he has a rocket arm, but he also is terrible most of the time????

Also he's kind of fast, that's Ryan Tannehill in a nutshell.

I don't get all the Tannehill love. I think he's a second round prospect and a solid QB to try and develop behind a veteran. Why isn't Brock Osweiler getting as much of Tannehill's undeserved hype? Both check out physically, and they were both average QBs in the most unspectacular way last year.

AlexDunlap 03-30-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OaklandRaider56 (Post 2927524)
Also he's kind of fast, that's Ryan Tannehill in a nutshell.

I don't get all the Tannehill love. I think he's a second round prospect and a solid QB to try and develop behind a veteran. Why isn't Brock Osweiler getting as much of Tannehill's undeserved hype? Both check out physically, and they were both average QBs in the most unspectacular way last year.

I've been saying all along that missing the Senior Bowl and the Combine might have been the best thing to happen to Tannehill. What makes him that much different from a Nick Foles? He hasn't had the opportunity to fail in front of anyone yet and he's a little more athletic. Slightly shorter I think. Has not not had to throw to unfamiliar receivers, no weird pressure situations, etc.

If you look at the video, even in his own controlled environment in drills run by Chris Weinke- he's constantly leading WRs out of bounds on the deep outs ----this is against the air. I didn't see it in College, but unlike Foles- Tannehill hasn't had the opportunity to either confirm or alleviate my doubts about his arm strength and decision-making.

But what we think doesn't really matter. People are bonkers over QBs and Pete Carroll going to all these QB workouts after signing Flynn just goes to show that with the new adjusted rookie wage scale, QBs are a commodity, even if you are thought to be "set.".

Stamper 03-30-2012 12:25 PM

Throws a nice ball but don't give him a halftime lead.

gpngc 03-30-2012 12:28 PM

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/03/28/c...module=HP11_cp

PoopSandwich 03-30-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2927479)

And one is a complete ***** while the other seems to never give a ****.

tjsunstein 03-30-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper (Post 2927597)
Throws a nice ball but don't give him a halftime lead.

Dont give Mike Sherman a head coaching position you mean.

Clarkw267 03-30-2012 01:32 PM

I think Tannehill should be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

The arm is solid, and he's athletic, but not huge threat to run. His footwork is sloppy at times, and he's very raw in terms of reading a defense. I wouldn't take him in the top 10..

The guy he actually reminds me of in terms of size/athletic ability is Kyle Boller.

tjsunstein 03-30-2012 01:37 PM

In terms of talent, I'd take him in the mid to late first but obviously his position puts him in the top 7 consideration because of the seperation of talent between the top two picks, him, and everyone after. I dont think Weeden is far off from Tannehill but his age absolutly destroys his stock.

Cudders 03-30-2012 10:57 PM

Tannehill is a better prospect than Ponder and crushes Gabbert in that regard as well. The fact that heís in-line to be a top pick shouldnít surprise people. Itís a quarterback-driven league, so their value isnít able to be measured like other positions. When a signal-caller shows promise, even for a short stretch, it pushes him up the boards. Itís the nature of the beast. Quarterbacksí draft position surpasses their bodies of work. In an ideal world, Tannehill is taken in the second or third where he wonít face immediate pressure from the fan base and can be developed behind an aging starter or stopgap, but thatís not the NFL world we live in. That era is gone.

With that in mind, Iím higher on Tannehill than the consensus, it would seem. Isolating just him and evaluating just his attributes, he has obvious arm talent and a list of projectable qualities that NFL teams love. Heís shown more than enough functional arm strength at A&M and made an impressive amount of his throws to the sideline. Thatís a big-time plus for him. A lot of college quarterbacks donít have that aspect of their game on tape because it isnít asked of them. The fact that Mike Sherman, a coach with a decade of NFL experience, trusted Tannehill with sideline throws will resonate with scouts. In fact, he was asked to do more than Luck or Griffin in terms of NFL-caliber throws. Now, that doesnít make him a better prospect, but it is a contributing factor to his perceived weakness when it comes to his production. He was (and, to a large degree, still is) a raw quarterback in an offense thatís more intensive than most. So it makes sense that he wouldnít post the same kind of insane video game numbers that RGIII did.

In addition, for a quarterback that spent his first two seasons at receiver, Tannehillís natural grasp of the position is further along than his experience would suggest. He throws balls with anticipation. Itís not on the same level as Luck. Itís not even great-to-elite from game-to-game or snap-to-snap. Some throws are still delivered a tad too late and result in missed opportunities. But he has shown that heís cognizant of its important place in the game and that heís capable of doing it.

On top of that, his movement within the tackle box and against the rush is underrated. In this regard, Tannehillís on-field athleticism is even better than measured. Heís got a real natural feel for the rush, moves fluid without wasting motion, and keeps his focus downfield. In fact, I think Tannehillís command of the pocket is even better than RGIIIís at this point in the process. That is a large part of successful quarterbacking.

As for the concern about Tannehill handling a lead, I think itís rather overblown. Iím not an extensive A&M watcher, but I never got the impression that the Aggies backed him with a dependable defensive unit either. Tannehill might have made some mistakes that precipitated a collapse, but their entire teamís late-game struggles shouldnít fall square on his shoulders.

In essence, I think the deciding factor in Tannehillís stock is how well he performs in the pre-draft interviews. Like I said, the arm talent is there. He gets a passing grade in the tools categories. He has real concerns that need to be addressed though. He still needs to fix some mechanical issues. If he does, I think he can become a more accurate passer with even better arm strength, but he needs to convince coaches that he is prepared to meet the required rep workload. He must demonstrate at least an adequate mental aptitude, too. People are going to question his decision-making. He needs to be able to answer those questions and then prove he can handle more advanced, NFL-level progressions as well. If the involved parties are confident with what he shows them in the one-on-ones, his stock is solidified. And, from all accounts, his intangibles should impress.

Overall, I would be surprised to see Tannehill slip. The quarterback market is still hot and this draft has three quarterbacks in it, for all intents and purposes. Two of them arenít available. Two franchises, Cleveland and Miami, are desperate to stake their future on someone. Cleveland has the fourth pick and twelve more picks throughout the draft to use as ammunition if it is decided to pass at four and then pursue a trade-up. Miami has the eighth pick, the Sherman connection, and an owner clamoring for a splash. Those teams have to be considered the favorites at this point.

descendency 03-31-2012 04:29 AM

Tannehill is similar to (loosely similar) Cam Newton last year. Neither guy has played much as a QB in a high end offense. Both have serious questions about their game, but both are more questions in the style of "Can he?" and not "Why does he?"

Obviously, Tannehill has immense talent but he has yet to show people why he should be a top 10 pick.

SolidGold 03-31-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cudders (Post 2928570)
Tannehill is a better prospect than Ponder and crushes Gabbert in that regard as well. The fact that heís in-line to be a top pick shouldnít surprise people. Itís a quarterback-driven league, so their value isnít able to be measured like other positions. When a signal-caller shows promise, even for a short stretch, it pushes him up the boards. Itís the nature of the beast. Quarterbacksí draft position surpasses their bodies of work. In an ideal world, Tannehill is taken in the second or third where he wonít face immediate pressure from the fan base and can be developed behind an aging starter or stopgap, but thatís not the NFL world we live in. That era is gone.

With that in mind, Iím higher on Tannehill than the consensus, it would seem. Isolating just him and evaluating just his attributes, he has obvious arm talent and a list of projectable qualities that NFL teams love. Heís shown more than enough functional arm strength at A&M and made an impressive amount of his throws to the sideline. Thatís a big-time plus for him. A lot of college quarterbacks donít have that aspect of their game on tape because it isnít asked of them. The fact that Mike Sherman, a coach with a decade of NFL experience, trusted Tannehill with sideline throws will resonate with scouts. In fact, he was asked to do more than Luck or Griffin in terms of NFL-caliber throws. Now, that doesnít make him a better prospect, but it is a contributing factor to his perceived weakness when it comes to his production. He was (and, to a large degree, still is) a raw quarterback in an offense thatís more intensive than most. So it makes sense that he wouldnít post the same kind of insane video game numbers that RGIII did.

In addition, for a quarterback that spent his first two seasons at receiver, Tannehillís natural grasp of the position is further along than his experience would suggest. He throws balls with anticipation. Itís not on the same level as Luck. Itís not even great-to-elite from game-to-game or snap-to-snap. Some throws are still delivered a tad too late and result in missed opportunities. But he has shown that heís cognizant of its important place in the game and that heís capable of doing it.

On top of that, his movement within the tackle box and against the rush is underrated. In this regard, Tannehillís on-field athleticism is even better than measured. Heís got a real natural feel for the rush, moves fluid without wasting motion, and keeps his focus downfield. In fact, I think Tannehillís command of the pocket is even better than RGIIIís at this point in the process. That is a large part of successful quarterbacking.

As for the concern about Tannehill handling a lead, I think itís rather overblown. Iím not an extensive A&M watcher, but I never got the impression that the Aggies backed him with a dependable defensive unit either. Tannehill might have made some mistakes that precipitated a collapse, but their entire teamís late-game struggles shouldnít fall square on his shoulders.

In essence, I think the deciding factor in Tannehillís stock is how well he performs in the pre-draft interviews. Like I said, the arm talent is there. He gets a passing grade in the tools categories. He has real concerns that need to be addressed though. He still needs to fix some mechanical issues. If he does, I think he can become a more accurate passer with even better arm strength, but he needs to convince coaches that he is prepared to meet the required rep workload. He must demonstrate at least an adequate mental aptitude, too. People are going to question his decision-making. He needs to be able to answer those questions and then prove he can handle more advanced, NFL-level progressions as well. If the involved parties are confident with what he shows them in the one-on-ones, his stock is solidified. And, from all accounts, his intangibles should impress.

Overall, I would be surprised to see Tannehill slip. The quarterback market is still hot and this draft has three quarterbacks in it, for all intents and purposes. Two of them arenít available. Two franchises, Cleveland and Miami, are desperate to stake their future on someone. Cleveland has the fourth pick and twelve more picks throughout the draft to use as ammunition if it is decided to pass at four and then pursue a trade-up. Miami has the eighth pick, the Sherman connection, and an owner clamoring for a splash. Those teams have to be considered the favorites at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2RiI9v3io4

Great write up. Good comparisons to Griffin to put it all in perspective.

SchizophrenicBatman 03-31-2012 12:54 PM

Tannehill is Ponder with a better arm. And without the injuries

I like that. I still wouldn't take that guy but I could I see him having success

STsACE 03-31-2012 01:09 PM

I know why Tannehill is loved by scouts, he's considered 1 of 3 "Franchise" QBs in this draft. Biggest problem, is he's very inexperienced. If you're picking in top 10, there's 3 reasons why you'd pick him.

1) Freak injuries hurt your record and QB is your only weak point ie: Not set on QB or aging QB. Not gonna hurt if your top pick has to sit at least 1 year

2) You need to make a splash to keep fanbase interested

3) By luck, you made a trade for a future 1st and pick ended up top 10

4) Coaching personnel has inside track having previously coached the QB

That's the only 4 reasons why you would typically take a QB this inexperienced. Now, with the rookie wage scale, you can almost justify taking him without one of the 4 reasons listed above, just because the cap hit won't set the franchise back financially.

Which leaves me feeling "scared" the Browns may take him because he won't set us back financially and 90% likely he won't make it past #8 to Miami. And Miami most likely has him as their #1 priority, so we would have to take him at #4 unless we trade down to 6 or 7 to reach for him. Miami is in a different position to take him top 10 as their OC already knows his weakness and strengths, so they have reason, so a gameplan could be immediately formulated to conform to a QB of his type. Plus reason 2, Matt Moore is not the answer and doesn't exactly sell tickets.

StickSkills 03-31-2012 01:20 PM

Henne is in Jacksonville now. It's Matt Moore.

STsACE 03-31-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickSkills (Post 2928909)
Henne is in Jacksonville now. It's Matt Moore.

Thanks, don't know why I put Henne in. Brain doesn't work as fast as I get older.