Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Syracuse DE Chandler Jones on the Rise? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51931)

JohnCandy 04-03-2012 09:34 AM

Syracuse DE Chandler Jones on the Rise?
 
It appears that Chandler Jones is on the rise as he is in Mayocks top 5 DEs and has been an ESPN top 32 player for a number of weeks.

In a DE class that has a number of question marks is Chandler Jones a 1st round pick?

Who would you compare him to?

Don Vito 04-03-2012 10:46 AM

He's a guy who projects to so many different spots and schemes, he is pretty raw but there is a lot of talent. I know this comparison gets thrown around for a lot of prospects but I think he has Justin Tuck-type potential. A lot of talent but raw coming out. Jones, like Tuck, is viewed as a guy who can put on a lot of size at the next level or stay where he is at and be a 3-4 OLB. There were some poeple who saw Tuck as that kind of player coming out, and now he is a LE who can play inside on passing downs. Jones reminds me a ton of Tuck coming out of ND.

RWills 04-03-2012 11:33 AM

I wouldn't listen to a word that joke says (about Mcshay not Mayock [EDIT])

but I do agree with him about Jones, how can you not like a guy with 35.5" arms....long armed players are highly coveted as they can make a ball to the ball that much easier.

A Perfect Score 04-03-2012 11:45 AM

I've seen him mocked to the Ravens several times at the end of the first, simply because of the Art Jones connection and our need for a pass rusher. I've seen limited tape of the guys work, I'd love any insight on him as well.

Bulldogs 04-03-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWills (Post 2932411)
I wouldn't listen to a word that joke says

but I do agree with him about Jones, how can you not like a guy with 35.5" arms....long armed players are highly coveted as they can make a ball to the ball that much easier.

Mayock a joke?


mightytitan9 04-03-2012 12:44 PM

I've liked him for a while and if he's there in round 2 would be disappointed if the Titans didn't select him (assuming no DE round 1)

He's got a little bit of Justin Tuck in him

Matthew Jones 04-03-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 2932435)
I've seen him mocked to the Ravens several times at the end of the first, simply because of the Art Jones connection and our need for a pass rusher. I've seen limited tape of the guys work, I'd love any insight on him as well.

Chandler Jones makes a lot of sense for the Ravens because Dean Pees is the defensive coordinator. He is a two-gap guy who values bulk and strength; look for prospects with the ability to two-gap. Jones has the size and length which would appeal to Pees as someone who can set the edge. The strongside "elephant" linebacker is extremely important; Terrell Suggs projects as the right (rush) linebacker, whereas the left (strong/"elephant") linebacker will be called on to jam tight ends, seal off the run, etc. Pass rush skills are not going to be valued very highly. If Pees gets his way, look for the Ravens to target linebackers who are at least 6'3" and 255 pounds but preferably more (6'4" or 6'5" and 265+.)

Leon Sandcastle 04-03-2012 01:20 PM

Would anyone be surprised if the Giants took him with the #32nd pick?

Asteinebach 04-03-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWills (Post 2932411)
I wouldn't listen to a word that joke says

but I do agree with him about Jones, how can you not like a guy with 35.5" arms....long armed players are highly coveted as they can make a ball to the ball that much easier.

Yeah...Kalimba Edwards had really long arms. lol

Matthew Jones 04-03-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asteinebach (Post 2932596)
Yeah...Kalimba Edwards had really long arms. lol

Long arms are valuable because they help defenders avoid getting engulfed by offensive linemen. They are objectively desirable in a defensive player. Having long arms doesn't mean a prospect will succeed, but it certainly helps them just like running a 4.3 doesn't mean a wide receiver will succeed but is still a positive attribute.

Asteinebach 04-03-2012 01:27 PM

I'm well aware of the advantage of having long arms, especially at the defensive end position, Matthew. I've been a draftnik and scout for over 10 years now.

Caulibflower 04-03-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asteinebach (Post 2932607)
I'm well aware of the advantage of having long arms, especially at the defensive end position, Matthew. I've been a draftnik and scout for over 10 years now.

That's over a decade!

A Perfect Score 04-03-2012 01:50 PM

I sure wish I was a scout :(

mightytitan9 04-03-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asteinebach (Post 2932596)
Yeah...Kalimba Edwards had really long arms. lol

Still does to my knowledge, barring some unforeseen condition that makes them shrink

RWills 04-03-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogs (Post 2932445)
Mayock a joke?


Opps....I though it said McShay at the top...I think Mayock is the top

ChiFan24 04-03-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asteinebach (Post 2932607)
I'm well aware of the advantage of having long arms, especially at the defensive end position, Matthew. I've been a draftnik and scout for over 10 years now.

That's more than this many!


ChiFan24 04-03-2012 02:32 PM

Somebody give me a comp for Jones. Also, how is he different than Andre Branch? From what I can tell he's a raw athlete, but a little stiff and unrefined as a pass rusher. It kind of goes without saying, but I haven't gotten around to reviewing the Syracuse tape just yet....

Matthew Jones 04-03-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2932740)
Somebody give me a comp for Jones. Also, how is he different than Andre Branch? From what I can tell he's a raw athlete, but a little stiff and unrefined as a pass rusher. It kind of goes without saying, but I haven't gotten around to reviewing the Syracuse tape just yet....

Jones looks bulkier than Branch on tape and relies on overwhelming power; he may be a strange fit at outside linebacker for many teams because he seems to lumber when he runs. Branch is a much more fluid and natural athlete with some more finesse to his game.

ChiFan24 04-03-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2932756)
Jones looks bulkier than Branch on tape and relies on overwhelming power; he may be a strange fit at outside linebacker for many teams because he seems to lumber when he runs. Branch is a much more fluid and natural athlete with some more finesse to his game.

Gotcha. I've been watching a lot of Branch lately and I'm liking what I see. I'd be a little surprised if he got out of the first. Surprising that some have Jones ranked higher.

Matthew Jones 04-03-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2932761)
Gotcha. I've been watching a lot of Branch lately and I'm liking what I see. I'd be a little surprised if he got out of the first. Surprising that some have Jones ranked higher.

Branch does seem like a first-round pick on tape; very good against the run in all phases (tackling, block shedding, backside contain, anchoring, setting the edge, diagnosis.) Chandler Jones is interesting because he could potentially play some five-technique as well (albeit not in two-gap defenses.) Jones really stands out on tape in terms of size; he's roughly as big as Aldon Smith.

SenorGato 04-03-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2932761)
Gotcha. I've been watching a lot of Branch lately and I'm liking what I see. I'd be a little surprised if he got out of the first. Surprising that some have Jones ranked higher.

Andre Branch is quietly awesome. For a Clemson player he's boy tough and interesting...Undernrated as a DE/OLB convert.

Chandler Jones needs to be in a 4-3. Not overly impressedwith him but he's got good tools.

Matthew Jones 04-03-2012 02:54 PM

Here's a comparison between Chandler Jones and Aldon Smith based on their Combine statistics:

Jones / Smith

Height: 6045 / 6042
Weight: 266 / 263
40-yd: 4.87 / 4.74
10-yd: 1.63 / 1.66
Bench: 22 / 20
Vertical: 35" / 34"
Broad: 10' / 9'10"
Shuttle: 4.38 / 4.50
Cone: 7.07 / 7.19

Very interesting stuff. Jones should be in high demand this year as long as his leg checks out.

Caulibflower 04-03-2012 03:31 PM

He's no Aldon Smith. Aldon looked unblockable at times on his tape. He was more fluid, too. Jones is more of a bullrusher; Aldon Smith had that ability to just kind of slip off of blockers in the direction of the quarterback.

Caulibflower 04-03-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2932782)
Here's a comparison between Chandler Jones and Aldon Smith based on their Combine statistics:

Jones / Smith

Height: 6045 / 6042
Weight: 266 / 263
40-yd: 4.87 / 4.74
10-yd: 1.63 / 1.66
Bench: 22 / 20
Vertical: 35" / 34"
Broad: 10' / 9'10"
Shuttle: 4.38 / 4.50
Cone: 7.07 / 7.19

Very interesting stuff. Jones should be in high demand this year as long as his leg checks out.

They just don't really have similar playing styles. Smith looks a lot quicker. Some of the things people knocked Smith for, such as wondering how strong he is at the POA (That's something Jones looks better at), his... slipperiness, I guess, is what made him so good in the NFL last year, and I don't see that on Jones' tape.





If you're internet's fast enough, just hit play on both of them. ;-)

SenorGato 04-03-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 2932852)
He's no Aldon Smith. Aldon looked unblockable at times on his tape. He was more fluid, too. Jones is more of a bullrusher; Aldon Smith had that ability to just kind of slip off of blockers in the direction of the quarterback.

Completely agreed with this.

Smith was also a prospect that basically teams were sitting waiting for him to declare...Really well known prospect iirc who was known as a true freshman.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.