Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   NFL Draft: Minnesota Vikings #3 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52069)

Mascott07 04-10-2012 04:58 PM

NFL Draft: Minnesota Vikings #3

Who should the Vikings select with #3 in what should be the first pick to raise interest levels?

Take the time to vote if you like:

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/201...stin-blackmon/

Mascott07 04-10-2012 05:01 PM

I voted for Matt Kalil.

Franchise left tackles are hard to pass up on.

akvikefan89 04-10-2012 06:34 PM

Link is broken.

ChiFan24 04-10-2012 07:41 PM

Copied from the other board you posted this on:

Really tough call for me; I've been thinking about it for a while.

I don't think a great LT makes that much of an impact on your team. I think they're valuable in their longevity and the fact that your most important player is less likely to get injured, but in terms of actual football, I think you're better off with an average LT and a high impact player somewhere else. And I think if Ponder does develop, he'll develop into the type that will win with an average O-line and more playmakers, instead of a great O-line and less playmakers.

So the question is, is Blackmon or Claiborne likely to become a blue chip, high impact player? Michael Floyd for the matter? If I were running things, I'd love to trade down to #8 and take Floyd or even Claiborne or Blackmon if they slips. Even give Miami a bit of a discount. I think any of those guys are just as likely to help your team as Kalil.

If I'm staying at 3......I don't know yet. I would need to evaluate it more. Gun to my head I probably go Claiborne, but Kalil is so good at LT that he's not too far behind, even with my previous thoughts about the position taken into consideration. In the second, take Martin/Massie/Adams.

Mascott07 04-10-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akvikefan89 (Post 2942538)
Link is broken.

Fixed

Here:

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/201...stin-blackmon/

Mascott07 04-10-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2942617)

I don't think a great LT makes that much of an impact on your team. I think they're valuable in their longevity and the fact that your most important player is less likely to get injured, but in terms of actual football, I think you're better off with an average LT and a high impact player somewhere else. And I think if Ponder does develop, he'll develop into the type that will win with an average O-line and more playmakers, instead of a great O-line and less playmakers.

So the question is, is Blackmon or Claiborne likely to become a blue chip, high impact player? Michael Floyd for the matter? If I were running things, I'd love to trade down to #8 and take Floyd or even Claiborne or Blackmon if they slips. Even give Miami a bit of a discount. I think any of those guys are just as likely to help your team as Kalil.

If I'm staying at 3......I don't know yet. I would need to evaluate it more. Gun to my head I probably go Claiborne, but Kalil is so good at LT that he's not too far behind, even with my previous thoughts about the position taken into consideration. In the second, take Martin/Massie/Adams.

Considering they gave up 49 sacks last season, they have to be looking to protect Ponder more if they are hoping to see any development out of him.
I'm a big Steelers fan, and let me tell you- Offensive Line Play is CRITICAL.

I'd go Claiborne before I go Blackmon at 3.

Blackmon won't turn into a Calvin Johnson, but Claiborne could turn into a Darelle Revis.

If I'm Minny, I do like you said and look to trade down. That would be a smart move and there will be plenty of talent left on the board.

prock 04-10-2012 10:35 PM

Blackmon should NOT go three. I would much rather get a receiver later, like Jeffry/Hill/Wright/Randall in 2 or Crinner in 3. Please just take Kalil, fix our LT and LG spots. Kalil, Johnson, and Sullivan isn't a terrible left side at all. Claiborne is awesome, but we REALLY need to help out Ponder.

Mascott07 04-10-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

I saw you posted on Scout as well...:beers:

Mascott07 04-10-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prock (Post 2942847)
Blackmon should NOT go three. I would much rather get a receiver later, like Jeffry/Hill/Wright/Randall in 2 or Crinner in 3. Please just take Kalil, fix our LT and LG spots. Kalil, Johnson, and Sullivan isn't a terrible left side at all. Claiborne is awesome, but we REALLY need to help out Ponder.

I love the passion and response of a true fan of the team when responding to questions like this.

stlouisfan37 04-11-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

I don't know if this actually happens or not, but I have been saying for a while now that it wouldn't surprise me at all if Miami leapfrogged Cleveland for Tannehill. Stephen Ross has been losing a lot lately, especially when it comes to finding people who want to coach or play for him, and I think this is one competition he may find a way to win, even if it's a horrible decision.

duesouth 04-11-2012 07:25 AM

Your franchise QB has had problems staying healthy - so keep him clean and take Kalil who has elite feet.

SunTzu_22 04-11-2012 09:59 AM

Voted for Kalil. To me its almost as big of a slam dunk as Luck and RGIII going 1 and 2. I dont think the gap between Blackmon and the group of WRs available in the top of round 2 is that big, especially compared to the drop off in talent from Kalil to whichever LT available at #35.
The gap between Claiborne and the 2nd round CBs is somewhere in between the two other positions, but the CB class is deep, and Vikings can pick a quality CB in round 2 and 3.
Buttom line, Im in the Protect the franchise/Ponder camp.

K Train 04-11-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mascott07 (Post 2942829)
Considering they gave up 49 sacks last season, they have to be looking to protect Ponder more if they are hoping to see any development out of him.
I'm a big Steelers fan, and let me tell you- Offensive Line Play is CRITICAL.

is it? i mean theyve had a poor oline since faneca, smith, hartings broke up and have been to 2 superbowls with misfits. Ben can get sacked 5 times a game but it seems to not really have that much of an effect on the outcome of the game

Caddy 04-11-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 2943222)
is it? i mean theyve had a poor oline since faneca, smith, hartings broke up and have been to 2 superbowls with misfits. Ben can get sacked 5 times a game but it seems to not really have that much of an effect on the outcome of the game

Big Ben is also a hell of a lot tougher than a lot of QB's out there. I think a lot of other QB's would fail with Pitt's shaky O-Line.

Iamcanadian 04-11-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 (Post 2943209)
Voted for Kalil. To me its almost as big of a slam dunk as Luck and RGIII going 1 and 2. I dont think the gap between Blackmon and the group of WRs available in the top of round 2 is that big, especially compared to the drop off in talent from Kalil to whichever LT available at #35.
The gap between Claiborne and the 2nd round CBs is somewhere in between the two other positions, but the CB class is deep, and Vikings can pick a quality CB in round 2 and 3.
Buttom line, Im in the Protect the franchise/Ponder camp.

I fully agree, it is a slam dunk with Kalil, end of story.

tjsunstein 04-11-2012 12:30 PM

They're in an ideal position to solidify their QB/LT for a decade in successive drafts. You have to do that.

Mascott07 04-11-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 2943238)
Big Ben is also a hell of a lot tougher than a lot of QB's out there. I think a lot of other QB's would fail with Pitt's shaky O-Line.

Exactly right.

fishspinners 04-12-2012 03:17 PM

Vikings Draft Plan

Looks like a safe bet that the Vikes trade out of the #3 slot and take a WR with there first pick. Floyd at #8?