Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Bold Prediction: Michael Egnew Will be Best TE (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52132)

GoRavens 04-12-2012 10:38 PM

Bold Prediction: Michael Egnew Will be Best TE

Yup, that's right.
Size and measurables are often the first thing people point out in a top prospect so might as well.
At 6'6 255 (running a 4.6 40) Egnew is arguably the most dangerous receiver of the TE's.
Because of his huge catch radius and his insane leaping ability, this makes Egnew a legit redzone target in the NFL.
While he needs to get stronger and more physical, Egnew posseses rare athleticsm; following the trend of basketball playing TE's.
His size and quicks makes him a great mismatch issue in the secondary, not to mention his hands are fantastic.
Blocking isn't his strong suit, but with time and added muscle mass he'll improve that phase of the game.
Seen as a third round guy, Egnew will excel with the current two TE trend we see today.

vidae 04-12-2012 10:41 PM

Impossible. He went to Mizzou. There are no good Mizzou players. NO ALDON SMITH DOESN'T COUNT.

Complex 04-12-2012 10:49 PM

Missouri TE's suck. How many catches do the last 2-3 have between them like 5?

niel89 04-12-2012 10:56 PM

Chase Coffman is going to turn some people off to Egnew. It may be unfair but same school and position will make people connect them.

Fleener is the clear cut most dangerous TE to me. Almost 20 yard average and 10 TDs last year.

DeepThreat 04-12-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 2945662)
Impossible. He went to Mizzou. There are no good Mizzou players. NO ALDON SMITH DOESN'T COUNT.

This.

Also, there are just better tight ends.

descendency 04-12-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

There are no good Mizzou offensive players, for sure.

Dan_Steele 04-12-2012 11:55 PM

I'm not going to hate like everybody else here. Egnew totally blew everybody away at the combine and there is no argument whatsoever that this guy doesn't possess some serious athletic ability. However, sometimes these tools just never translated to the field. A TE with that kind of matchup advantage should be making highlight reels every week, but for some reason Egnew just never did.

Does he have the potential to be a spectacular talent, you bet, but he has a long way to go and a lot of polishing up of his game before he gets there.

Thecollegedropout 04-12-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 2945740)

Brad Smith was good as a Jet....

descendency 04-13-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_Steele (Post 2945771)
However, sometimes these tools just never translated to the field.

To be fair, his QB was Blaine Gabbert. . .

holt_bruce81 04-13-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Justin Smith, Brad Smith, Jeremy Maclin, Sean Weatherspoon, William Moore, Ziggy Hood

holt_bruce81 04-13-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Maclin isn't good?

vidae 04-13-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 (Post 2945806)
Justin Smith, Brad Smith, Jeremy Maclin, Sean Weatherspoon, William Moore, Ziggy Hood

Pat Sims 90 04-13-2012 01:43 AM

He end up like Coffman and Rucker.

eaglesalltheway 04-13-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Jeremy Maclin Scoffs at you.

Matthew Jones 04-13-2012 09:45 AM

Egnew had a chance to establish himself as the top tight end prospect going into the season but he almost never impacted the game like he should have and really hurt his draft stock in my eyes.

duesouth 04-13-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_Steele (Post 2945771)
I'm not going to hate like everybody else here. Egnew totally blew everybody away at the combine and there is no argument whatsoever that this guy doesn't possess some serious athletic ability. However, sometimes these tools just never translated to the field. A TE with that kind of matchup advantage should be making highlight reels every week, but for some reason Egnew just never did.

Does he have the potential to be a spectacular talent, you bet, but he has a long way to go and a lot of polishing up of his game before he gets there.

Exactly - very impressive at the Combine - but he didn't play that fast. Really struggled to explode out of his breaks. One dimensional vertical stretch guy who has very limited experience as an inline blocker. Won't be for everyone and certainly I think Ladarius Green is better.

Asteinebach 04-13-2012 01:32 PM

I like LaDarius Green. Same thing, great measurables at 6'6" 240lbs, ran in the 4.5 range and has pretty natural hands. In addition, I'm a big fan of college production and at the minimum, Green has been one of the most consistent performers at the position in the last 4 years.

ATLDirtyBirds 04-13-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asteinebach (Post 2946463)
I like LaDarius Green. Same thing, great measurables at 6'6" 240lbs, ran in the 4.5 range and has pretty natural hands. In addition, I'm a big fan of college production and at the minimum, Green has been one of the most consistent performers at the position in the last 4 years.

Yeah, I'll take my chances on Green as opposed to Egnew.

Caulibflower 04-13-2012 02:43 PM

Personally, if I'm trying to guess which tight end will turn out to be the best player, I'm not going to lay my money down on the guy who's career yards per catch barely tops 9.0. Haven't been impressed with him at all when I've seen him play.

tjsunstein 04-13-2012 04:18 PM

Just my top 5 tight ends.

1.Fleener, Stanford
Experience and production in a pro style offense combined with his size and combine numbers makes him the clear cut #1 for me.

2. Green, LA-Lafayette
Huge frame, very versatile as far as where he can line up as well as great potential. Almost a pure oversized WR. Love his hands. Will need to improve blocking.

3. Egnew, Mizzou
4a. Allen, Clemson
4b. Charles, Georgia

Obviously who turns out the best depends on the situation but this TE class has 5 immediate contributors.

ATLDirtyBirds 04-13-2012 04:46 PM

Green's blocking is so bad. I know he's a move piece, and I know TEs don't have to be great blockers, but man. Very bad.

holt_bruce81 04-13-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2946120)
Egnew had a chance to establish himself as the top tight end prospect going into the season but he almost never impacted the game like he should have and really hurt his draft stock in my eyes.

He did play with a new Quarterback. Not using that as an excuse but Franklin did tuck it and run A LOT more than Gabbert did.