Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England Patriots Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Draft Day(s) Thread 2012 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52508)

proshoota25 04-24-2012 03:08 PM

Draft Day(s) Thread 2012
 
Use this thread to organize all draft talk here..... Can't wait!

Razor 04-25-2012 01:58 AM

Wait, the draft discussion thread didn't work anymore? ;)

Anywho, can't wait either.. Chandler Jonezzzzz please!

proshoota25 04-25-2012 11:19 AM

it does, i just meant during the actual draft and the few days afterwards..... its much easier to find what we all said about this draft a year from now :-)

AntoinCD 04-25-2012 05:22 PM

I have a feeling BB is gonna do something crazy and either trade up to the top 12 for Chandler Jones or take Bruce Irvin in the first round

TNPatsFan 04-25-2012 05:27 PM

Just heard Lombardi say on Path to the Draft that the Pats really like Chandler Jones but that they have no shot at him at 27 and he'll be long gone by then.. possibly even top 10. Wow. He usually seems to have a lot of good inside info, so we'll see if that proves to be true.

Don Vito 04-25-2012 05:29 PM

McShay jokingly (I think) just suggested the Pats should make a big bundle of picks and move up to take Trent Richardson. Well do it dammit.

Blackluck 04-25-2012 05:49 PM

Razor should be happy.
ARZ at 13 would be a good target; the OL they need will be too early at that pick, they don't have a 2nd, and 27 and 48 gets you to 13.

edit: Not that I'm advocating a trade (I'm fine either way) but that would seem the play if BB does indeed like Jones as much as Stacey Dales implies.

Razor 04-26-2012 12:33 AM

I am happy to hear that, but last year everyone was saying that we were moving up to #10 and take Quinn/Kerrigan and nothing happened. I do believe that they're just pulling this out of their asses tbh, but I hope they're right.

proshoota25 04-26-2012 12:59 AM

welcome to draft day boys.... let the rumors begin!

NFL Net's Mike Lombardi on Chandler Jones: "I think Chandler Jones has a chance to be a top-10 pick. (#Patriots) are not gonna get (him)."

AntoinCD 04-26-2012 02:49 AM

I'm starting to think a realistic dream draft looks something like this

1a. Kendall Wright
1b. Nick Perry
2a. Devon Still
2b. Janoris Jenkins
3. Brandon Taylor

descendency 04-26-2012 04:41 AM

We'll trade out of both picks tonight and have restocked 2013 as well as part of the rest of 2012.

Blackluck 04-26-2012 05:01 AM

Two positions BB has never drafted in the first round: WR and OLB. If any draft breaks that streak this will be it. If Wright is sitting there at 27 I think they would be hard pressed to pass on him depending on who else is available.

Razor 04-26-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 2966867)
We'll trade out of both picks tonight and have restocked 2013 as well as part of the rest of 2012.

Oh I hope so! This would be my ideal scenario if we don't make a play for Chandler Jones or to a lesser degree Mark Barron.

cmarq83 04-26-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 2966867)
We'll trade out of both picks tonight and have restocked 2013 as well as part of the rest of 2012.

I'd like to trade out of at least one of the picks, probably 31 because Green Bay and Baltimore are both going to go after the same positions as we are, and move down a few picks into the high second. From there I'd like to see us move up a few spots from 48. I really like the prospects who have been mocked in that area. If we can come away with 2 of Kevin Zeitler, Shea McClellin, Harrison Smith, Janoris Jenkins, Dre Kirkpatrick, Whitney Mercilus, Alshon Jeffrey, or Trumaine Johnson I'd be happy. I think if we can snag a 2nd next year and maybe a 5th this year at 63 that would be a good trade. However, besides for the late 2nd and 3rd I'm really not crazy about trading picks for future picks. I think there is enough talent available from picks 25-45 to warrant using out picks.

Blackluck 04-26-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 2966829)
I'm starting to think a realistic dream draft looks something like this

1a. Kendall Wright
1b. Nick Perry
2a. Devon Still
2b. Janoris Jenkins
3. Brandon Taylor

Fuel for Kendall Wright. Maybe for the second or if everyone they want is gone by their pick.

As far as trading down, it seems to me that will be harder this year, but then I suppose there are always 'hot seat' GMs and coaches.

Razor 04-26-2012 08:02 AM

I like Wright in the second. His stock was way too high earlier in the draft process but I think he might have found his level in the early to mid second round. He has a lot of speed and can catch the ball pretty well, but he's not a guy who will consistently make defenders miss and take it to the house. I like to compare him to Deion Branch with a bit more speed and less refinement as a route runner.

Razor 04-26-2012 09:56 AM

Nolan Nawrocki has us taking Fleener at 31. I'm actually alright with that should we be unable to trade out. Other than that the usual picks for NE seems to be McClellin and H. Smith.

SuperPacker 04-26-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 2967156)
Nolan Nawrocki has us taking Fleener at 31. I'm actually alright with that should we be unable to trade out. Other than that the usual picks for NE seems to be McClellin and H. Smith.

Seriously? Gronkowski/Hernandez/Fleener would be scary, but its not gonna happen.

Razor 04-26-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2967158)
Seriously? Gronkowski/Hernandez/Fleener would be scary, but its not gonna happen.

I doubt it'd happen, but I wouldn't be too upset were it to happen depending on the players available at the time. I have all the confidence in the world that Scar can teach Fleener to block and having TEs like that would be bitching!

cmarq83 04-26-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 2967156)
Nolan Nawrocki has us taking Fleener at 31. I'm actually alright with that should we be unable to trade out. Other than that the usual picks for NE seems to be McClellin and H. Smith.

Why would you be ok with that? Literally every other position we have sans QB makes more sense to draft. We have everything we could possibly need at the TE position right now. We have the superhuman (Gronk), the WR type guy (Hernandez), and the blocker (Fells) what does Fleener bring to make us better? Maybe I could see us going for someone like Orsen Charles in the 4th for the value, and as insurance in case Hernandez gets hurt. However, spending a 1st at one of our most solid positions, making us carry 4 TE's and bypassing a legitimate shot to make us better doesn't make any sense to me.

Razor 04-26-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmarq83 (Post 2967165)
Why would you be ok with that? Literally every other position we have sans QB makes more sense to draft. We have everything we could possibly need at the TE position right now. We have the superhuman (Gronk), the WR type guy (Hernandez), and the blocker (Fells) what does Fleener bring to make us better? Maybe I could see us going for someone like Orsen Charles in the 4th for the value, and as insurance in case Hernandez gets hurt. However, spending a 1st at one of our most solid positions, making us carry 4 TE's and bypassing a legitimate shot to make us better doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't like the thought of using the draft to address needs only. If you have a chance to improve a position you do that. I think it's pretty close to how BB feels as well. You address needs and improve depth in FA which gives you lots of flexibility in the draft. Do I think we'd take Fleener? Of course not. I think we're going to trade out and that's what I'm hoping for. But Fleener would add a lot to the offense which is another way of "improving" our defense.

Blackluck 04-26-2012 10:15 AM

What cmarq said; in other mock news someone posted a link to Gosselin's mock. He has taking Upshaw and Smith. I was under the impression he no longer was doing mocks. edit: not gosselin's mock.

cross post with razor: I agree in principal, but adding a tight end like that is as Lombardi would say is "collecting talent" I don't think it helps the team as a whole (I was under the impression Nawrocki was mocking a trade of some sort.

cmarq83 04-26-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 2967180)
I don't like the thought of using the draft to address needs only. If you have a chance to improve a position you do that. I think it's pretty close to how BB feels as well. You address needs and improve depth in FA which gives you lots of flexibility in the draft. Do I think we'd take Fleener? Of course not. I think we're going to trade out and that's what I'm hoping for. But Fleener would add a lot to the offense which is another way of "improving" our defense.

How much does it really improve the position though? Do you legitimately feel like Fleener is going to come in and take away reps from Gronk or Hernandez? I don't think that is a particularly realistic expectation. That leaves him in 3 TE sets, which aren't run all that often, and in many cases I'd think that BB would prefer Fells because of his blocking ability. You might be able to split Hernandez out wide and play Fleener in 2TE sets, but any way you slice it he's looking at most at 30% of offensive snaps. That isn't first round material. The only reason you'd take someone in a situation like ours is if he's a can't miss prospect who is an upgrade over everyone you have. If Fleener was Gronk 2.0 then yes go for it, but Fleener is really just an above average TE prospect with average blocking, and athleticism that up until the combine was questioned.

proshoota25 04-26-2012 11:53 AM

last year's prospect that the pats were hot for was cam jordan. they had the chance to get him, but didnt. false rumor.

this year it seems like the two hot prospects for us are chandler jones and trumaine johnson. we would have to move up to get jones, and we could probably reach on johnson in the first. is this the year the rumors are true?

we shall see

proshoota25 04-26-2012 01:13 PM

names being thrown out for a possible trade up to 12: chandler jones, mark barron, and local boy luke kuechly


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.