Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   End of the Pro Bowl (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52599)

jrdrylie 04-26-2012 11:06 AM

End of the Pro Bowl

So Chris Mortensen has been reporting today that the Pro Bowl is going to be eliminated. I know the Pro Bowl is terrible football, but I think this is aother terrible Goodell idea. Every All Star Game is terrible sport. The NHL All Star Game usually has scores like 12-10. There is absolutely no defense played in the NBA All Star Games. Who cares? They don't mean anything so it doesn't really matter if there is no defense. What does everyone else think?

Edit: Oops, spelled Pro incorrectly.

Rosebud 04-26-2012 11:11 AM

I think this is a good call. The NFL doesn't lend itself to having a watchable allstar game the way other sports do and the probowl is just the worst. Why waste money on something so terrible that no one watches or gives half a **** about.

Have a skills competition, the way they used to, coordinated with the announcing of the All-pro teams and you have a much more entertaining and worthwhile event.

broncosfan 04-26-2012 11:13 AM

That's perfect, they eliminated it a year too late IMO.

And yes as Rosebud said a skills competition would actually be more fun, maybe a flag football match.

Bert Macklin 04-26-2012 11:15 AM

Good. It turned into 7 on 7 anyway.

killxswitch 04-26-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 2967255)
I think this is a good call. The NFL doesn't lend itself to having a watchable allstar game the way other sports do and the probowl is just the worst. Why waste money on something so terrible that no one watches or gives half a **** about.

Have a skills competition, the way they used to, coordinated with the announcing of the All-pro teams and you have a much more entertaining and worthwhile event.

I absolutely 100% agree with this. If they bolster this competition it will be better than any pro bowl "game" has ever been. Especially if they raise the stakes.

jrdrylie 04-26-2012 11:25 AM

A skills competition I'd be cool with. But I don't think they are looking into that. The way Mort was talking, it seemed like they would still name Pro Bowl teams so players can get their bonuses but there won't be anything other than that.

BaLLiN 04-26-2012 11:38 AM

Yeah, absolutely stupid. Skills competition would be fun, but would they do that? I doubt it.

yodabear 04-26-2012 11:42 AM

The only reason to watch was seeing Hawaii Scenery...

PackerLegend 04-26-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 2967255)

That's not true about no one watching.. it actually gets good ratings for being absolute dog ****.it def most go though. A skills comp would be way better.

Asteinebach 04-26-2012 12:18 PM

Good riddance. The pro bowl has been a joke for years. Especially poor judgement on putting the pro bowl a week before the Superbowl. Who came up with that dumbass idea? Here, let's try and play an all star game right before the biggest event on the face of the planet. I'm sure the all pro's on the participating SB teams will really want to go hard (if at all).

YAYareaRB 04-26-2012 12:27 PM

the nba all star game was actually mildly entertaining this year

Ness 04-26-2012 12:42 PM

Wow, if this is true thank heavens. I thought it would take YEARS to get rid of this irrelevant contest. Like someone else, a skills challenge like they used to have would be great. I always found that much more entertaining than the actual game.

Asteinebach 04-26-2012 12:44 PM

In addition to this good news, it looks like the BCS is going to have a Final Four!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Ness 04-26-2012 12:45 PM

And players can still "make the pro bowl". Just have it be a list.

phlysac 04-26-2012 02:08 PM

I'm pretty sure they should have an all-rookie flag football game on the beach. Yeah, that's a great idea.

:/

tjsunstein 04-26-2012 02:09 PM

"Whatever."
No one watched anyway. And half of the league became a pro bowler after "injuries", and super bowl alternates.

KCJ58 04-26-2012 02:15 PM

I'm All-NFLDC

not this Pro Bowl non-sense

Scotty D 04-26-2012 02:25 PM

This will bring back some of the credibility of being named a Pro Bowler. You want have half the league named a pro bowler because of injuries.

Hurricanes25 04-26-2012 02:39 PM

I could care less. I haven't watched the game in years.

TitanHope 04-26-2012 02:41 PM

I hope they keep it. The anti-Pro Bowl commentary has always been one of my favorite displays of hipocrisy.

I am 100% behind the Pro Bowl and fan voting for Pro Bowlers. People just take it too seriously because they see it purely as an award to validate a player and take no consideration to it also being an actual game for us to enjoy (sans last year), and because they do, they resort to calling it irrelevant as a defense mechanism for when they disagree with it. Because odds are, the guy talking about how it's a popularity contest or isn't a fair reflection on a player's season will then in the next sentence talk about how a certain guy on his favorite team is a "Pro Bowl caliber player."

I think the Pro Bowl would have a better reputation if people would see it for what it is. The All-Pro awards are the end of the season validations. The Pro Bowl is the game, and the players elected to it aren't the best players at their position; They're just the ones fans want to see, whether it's because of popularity, performance, personality, or whatever other factor. And if a guy gets in purely based on popularity, that's perfectly fine. Give the fans who they want to see.

The only thing I dislike is Pro Bowl appearances ever being counted towards HoF consideration. That's the biggest reason as to why it's seen as this pivotal award, rather than this cool, "dream team vs dream team" game. And getting rid of the actual game probably won't change that.

Stash 04-26-2012 03:14 PM

I'm glad it's going to be gone, easily the worst all-star game out of all the major sports.

WCH 04-26-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YAYareaRB (Post 2967395)
the nba all star game was actually mildly entertaining this year

In basketball, pickup games are actually fun to watch. There's an entire mythology built around it (Earl Manigault, Pee Wee Kirkland, Booger Smith, etc).

Nobody whispers about urban legends of Brett Favre showing up for a game of 7-on-7 football in Middle-Of-Nowhere, Mississippi; and getting outplayed by some kid who never made it.

D-Unit 04-26-2012 03:33 PM

I'm a sad panda. Loved the festivities of Pro Bowl week in Hawaii.

jojo 04-26-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 2967451)
And players can still "make the pro bowl". Just have it be a list.

They used to call it the All Pro team. Why not?

Pro Bowl dies not with a bang but a whimper.

NY+Giants=NYG 04-26-2012 04:03 PM

The best part of any all star game was the skills competition. Hockey had it the best. They had the fastest player contest, and then I remember hardest slap shot, which Ifrate (sp?) shot at 104 MPH. Pavel Bure one of my favorite players was very, very fast. Then they had penalty shooting contest on guys.

Not a big hockey fan, but I have good memories have watching the NHL skills competition.