Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Prospect of the Day: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52812)

Mr. Goosemahn 05-04-2012 02:03 AM

Prospect of the Day: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

I forgot to mention on the other threads, if you'd like me to start a thread for a prospect of your choice (draft eligible, of course!), send me a PM and I'll make his thread next! If there's more than one request, I'll start a list, and I'll go through it. If there's no one on the list, I'll just pick a player.

RB Montee Ball, Wisconsin

#28 - 5'11 – 212 lbs. – 21 years old

What do you guys think of him? First round running back? Could he be a legitimate #1 back for a franchise?

-------------------------

Previous Prospects of the Day

QB Matt Barkley, USC
CB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU
RB Montee Ball, Wisconsin

Bixby (Thumper) 05-04-2012 02:15 AM

Chester Taylor 2.0; Solid #2 back. That Wisconsin blocking scheme/offensive line makes him look better than he really is. Not overly powerful, not very elusive. Disciplined, intelligent runner who runs hard and can catch the ball. I think he's pretty similar to Chris Polk.

fenikz 05-04-2012 02:47 AM

Besides the huge numbers he puts up he seems like every other Whisky RB who has done nothing in the NFL

Do Cameron Marshall :)

RockyMtn_Badger 05-04-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 2985205)
Besides the huge numbers he puts up he seems like every other Whisky RB who has done nothing in the NFL

To be fair, you are comparing him to John Clay, PJ Hill, Ron Dayne, Brian Calhoun, Michael Bennett, etc. Ball is a much more complete back in terms of power, speed, and agility and a much better receiver than all of those guys (not including Calhoun).

With that said, I don't think he's going to be a #1 workhorse back but he'll have a much better career than any of those guys (assuming he stays healthy). 3rd rounder imo.

Also, we're really going to miss Zeitler next year despite our ability to churn out o-lineman year after year. Probably the most underrated Badger that I can remember.

Razor 05-04-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 2985205)

Just my thoughts. I'm already thinking about changing my sig...

cmarq83 05-04-2012 07:51 AM

Way underrated here. People watch him with a skeptical Wisconsin RB eye, but you have to give the guy his do. He's a very similar prospect to Mark Ingram. Elite vision, above average burst and break tackle ability, and he's a great receiver out of the backfield. That line is great, but he had record breaking production last year. If Doug Martin can go first round there is no reason Montee Ball can't either.

FUNBUNCHER 05-04-2012 08:16 AM

Probably a better prospect than I give him credit for. If you need a RB and your team isn't putrid offensively, Ball can probably get the job done.
Just nothing really special about him, which I believe was the same scouting report on Emmitt Smith,lol.

I still think if Trent Richardson had played for Wisconsin last season he would have rushed for almost 2800 yards and 45 TDs.

jbooshey 05-04-2012 08:53 AM

I'm a huge Badger backer...but I try to be subjective as well. To me, Montee Ball does everything Doug Martin does...but better. I think he is a legitimate 1st round talent and too many people deny his ability because the O-line is good and Badger RB history in the NFL is poor. Montee is unlike any previous prospect in the last decade...he has prototypical size and he is an all-around back. He reminds me a lot of Marshall Faulk without the 4.3 speed.

Dangermouse 05-04-2012 11:30 AM

This is our 3rd prospect and I have first round grades on them all.

Dro 05-04-2012 12:23 PM

how do you guys think he would project into a ZBS?

Iamcanadian 05-04-2012 03:27 PM

Well according to NFL Network, he does appear to be a better RB than those previous Wisconsin RB's, however, he will still have a lot to prove in next year's postseason before any team will use a 1st round pick on him. Right now I cannot see any NFL GM drafting him in round 1 unless he lights up the Combine.

princefielder28 05-04-2012 03:41 PM

Ball operates wonderfully between the tackles as he has pretty good vision and can make cuts with the best of 'em. He's also a weapon as a pass catcher. He obviously doesn't possess great speed but he also doesn't hinder him a great deal. I think he'll be a solid 2nd round choice.

K Train 05-04-2012 03:44 PM

2nd round choice to me, but whoever gets him is getting a workhorse. could be a 300+ carry RB

ChiefMojo 05-05-2012 04:14 PM

I love Montee Ball (Wisconsin is my #2 team) but I see him as a 2nd round guy. He is very good at everything but not great at just one thing. He will be a good NFL back imo but his measurables just don't jump off the charts to you. He isn't Richardson who grades out extremely well in everything. I see him as a solid #1 and a quality #2 RB in the NFL. Good compliment back.

CowboysBeastMode 05-06-2012 07:06 PM

his decision to go back to school was flat out stupid imo, just adding more tread to the tires that. it will hurt his draft stock.

CowboysBeastMode 05-06-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 2985925)
2nd round choice to me, but whoever gets him is getting a workhorse. could be a 300+ carry RB

if he racks up just as many carries again this year he might fall to early third

dmoneyrockin 05-07-2012 01:53 PM

Better vision and feet than Richardson and equal as a reciever. If another back is drafted ahead of him it will be a mistake.

ChiefMojo 05-07-2012 02:24 PM

The one saving grace Ball has is he has James White at Wisconsin also who is a NFL type back. So the tread may not be as used as one would assume.

Ghost of Juice 05-07-2012 02:57 PM

I like him, but if he wasn't a Wisconsin RB I would like him a lot more.

badgerbacker 05-07-2012 06:59 PM

Not exactly murder, but probably worth mentioning. Have to say that this shouldn't really lower his draft stock at all as long as there aren't any other incidents.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...passing-charge

On a side note, what kind of person doesn't want his school's Heisman trophy finalist on his porch at a party? Weak sauce.