Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Darrius Heyward Bey (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52979)

BamaFalcon59 05-15-2012 06:06 PM

Darrius Heyward Bey

Had almost 1,000 yards receiving in 15 games last season.

What?

ryno626 05-15-2012 11:52 PM

proshoota25 05-15-2012 11:56 PM

funny thing is we all made fun of him and that selection for a while. theres a good chance DHB will have more catched, yds, and TDs than crabtree next year. WOAH :gtfo:

vidae 05-15-2012 11:58 PM

He still has Carson Palmer throwing him the ball. I'd wait before we put DHB on any top 5 lists.

phlysac 05-16-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proshoota25 (Post 3000590)
funny thing is we all made fun of him and that selection for a while. theres a good chance DHB will have more catched, yds, and TDs than crabtree next year. WOAH :gtfo:

And there's a chance he won't. With absolutely nothing opposite him, and zero training camps, Crabtree still manages to put up more productive seasons than Vernon Davis. Yet everyone seems to think Crabs is a bust. He's been very good. His problem is that he doesn't get redzone opportunities.

proshoota25 05-16-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlysac (Post 3000692)
And there's a chance he won't. With absolutely nothing opposite him, and zero training camps, Crabtree still manages to put up more productive seasons than Vernon Davis. Yet everyone seems to think Crabs is a bust. He's been very good. His problem is that he doesn't get redzone opportunities.

i said next year..... with randy moss, aj jenkins, vernon davis, along with RBs kendall hunter and lamichael james (good receivers out of the backfield in their own right).... you really think crabtree will put up more numbers than DHB? i dont see it..

RaiderNation 05-16-2012 12:47 AM

DHB has been on a steady rise, he's improved every season and isn't injury prone. He and Palmer have developed a good relationship this off season working out in SoCal. Now bring in Moore, Ford, Murphy and rookie Juron Criner(who made some awesome catches today at the OTA's) and we should have a very strong group for the future.

phlysac 05-16-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proshoota25 (Post 3000699)
i said next year..... with randy moss, aj jenkins, vernon davis, along with RBs kendall hunter and lamichael james (good receivers out of the backfield in their own right).... you really think crabtree will put up more numbers than DHB? i dont see it..

Who knows? But he's capable. You could substitute all of those names with Denarius Moore, Louis Murphy, Jacoby Ford, Darren McFadden, Mike Goodson, Taiwan Jones, and Juron Criner and have the same argument.

TitanHope 05-16-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

As impressive as a team's #1 WR outproducing their TE is...I'm not sure that's true. Y'know, using math and stuff.

I also totally buy into him being a very good WR, and the fact that the 49ers spent the offseason signing Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, and using their 1st RD pick on a WR was just insurance in case he wrecks his Huffy or something.

Maybe he'll get more redzone opportunities if he shows up to a training camp at some point in his career?

whatadai 05-16-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

His problem is that he doesn't get redzone opportunities.

That's because he likes to drop balls, he doesn't gain separation, and he's average at best after the catch.

Heyward-Bey had all of these problems...and he's spent 3 off-seasons working on them...unlike somebody. DHB learned to ignore the criticism and work his ass off and made no excuses...someone else decided he'd like to make excuses and take off-seasons off.

Quote:

With absolutely nothing opposite him,

DHB has had no one opposite of him either, and it makes me cringe to say this since Alice Smith isn't the greatest, but he's actually had worse QBs. Moore gives hope, but DHB still did a lot of damage while Moore was out. He also needed time to come back from his own injury to start clicking with Palmer. With both of them healthy and a full off-season for them and Palmer...and a healthy Run DMC...Oakland will have a pretty explosive offense for probably 3 weeks until everyone gets injured again.

phlysac 05-16-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 3000756)
As impressive as a team's #1 WR outproducing their TE is...I'm not sure that's true. Y'know, using math and stuff.

Math and stuff?

Crabtree (2011) - 72 Rec | 875 Yds | 4 TDs
V. Davis (2011) - 67 Rec | 792 Yds | 6 TDs
D.H.B. (2011) --- 64 Rec | 975 Yds | 4 TDs

Oh yes, laud DHB for production while bashing Crabtree.

This isn't a bash of DHB. I actually really liked him coming out. It's just the hypocrisy of complimenting one while criticizing the other.

Quote:

I also totally buy into him being a very good WR, and the fact that the 49ers spent the offseason signing Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, and using their 1st RD pick on a WR was just insurance in case he wrecks his Huffy or something.

Or perhaps Moss (1 year deal,) Manningham (2 year deal,) and Jenkins (drafted) were added because Kyle Williams, Brett Swain, and Joe Hastings were the #3,4,5 WRs behind Crabtree and Ginn.

Quote:

Maybe he'll get more redzone opportunities if he shows up to a training camp at some point in his career?

That's the hope. Perhaps his feet will stay healthy this offseason.
Quote:

Originally Posted by whatadai (Post 3000820)
Heyward-Bey had all of these problems...and he's spent 3 off-seasons working on them...unlike somebody. DHB learned to ignore the criticism and work his ass off and made no excuses...someone else decided he'd like to make excuses and take off-seasons off.

I'd be happy to read a report where Crabtree was making excuses and missing training camp due to anything other than an injury. His hold-out 3 seasons ago is noted.

Monomach 05-16-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 (Post 2999903)
Had almost 1,000 yards receiving in 15 games last season.

What?

What's the "what" about?

Pretty much everyone here liked him as a prospect. Pretty much everyone here knew he was raw. Pretty much everyone here knew it would take a few years of development. Pretty much everyone figured he'd turn out to be a 1000-yard field-stretcher but not a super dominant CJ/Fitz/Andre type of receiver.

DHB is on track to do exactly what everyone thought he would do in the time frame everyone thought he'd do it in.

whatadai 05-16-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlysac (Post 3000884)
I'd be happy to read a report where Crabtree was making excuses and missing training camp due to anything other than an injury. His hold-out 3 seasons ago is noted.

I don't need to find a report. If you don't remember how your own WR has acted since he entered the NFL, here's a reminder...
-Last off-season when players were organizing workouts due to the lockout, and Alice Smith was trying to practice the new Harbaugh playbook with everyone, Crabtree didn't show up for a whole month. When he finally got there, he didn't put any work in because he had "sore feet" from new shoes.
-He took shots at Alice Smith, I hate Alice, but a two year WR who at the time was just as much of a bust himself, was taking shots at a veteran? And Alice has proven last year that he's more valuable to SF than Crabtree. Maybe because he decided to put in some work during the off-season? Some work would have easily improved Crabtree's ****** route running.
-His second off-season, he was being a lazy entitled bastard during workouts and Vernon Davis went off on his ass. The only reason he's actually showed up to workouts at all is because he has a clause in his contract which makes it mandatory for him to get paid. I wouldn't be surprised if he got "injured" again this off-season and is unable to do **** for most of it. Funny how he's always injured in the off-season and pre-season and then fine when it comes to the first week.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent to breakout. I'm saying he's a lazy bastard. We had that in JaMarcus Russell too and everyone knows how that went, so now I hate divas like Crabtree. Give me a hardworking guy like DHB any day over Crabtree. I don't see a breakout in Crabtree until he actually starts to show that he cares.

Ness 05-16-2012 04:14 PM

I think the 49ers quarterback name is Alex Smith actually. Don't quote me on that though.

BamaFalcon59 05-16-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3000924)
What's the "what" about?

Pretty much everyone here liked him as a prospect. Pretty much everyone here knew he was raw. Pretty much everyone here knew it would take a few years of development. Pretty much everyone figured he'd turn out to be a 1000-yard field-stretcher but not a super dominant CJ/Fitz/Andre type of receiver.

DHB is on track to do exactly what everyone thought he would do in the time frame everyone thought he'd do it in.

I recall a litany of Troy Williamson comparisons and proclimations that he would be a bust. But believe what you want.

WCH 05-16-2012 07:50 PM

You guys are both right, IIRC. DHB has been about as good as most people expected him to be. What people didn't expect, was for Oakland to draft him where they did. THAT caused people to laugh their asses off and predict that he would bust in Oakland.

whatadai 05-16-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3001532)
I think the 49ers quarterback name is Alex Smith actually. Don't quote me on that though.

Oh really? Alex Smith...doesn't sound right...you sure it isn't Alexis? I don't know...still pretty sure it's Alice...

Raiderz4Life 05-16-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlysac (Post 3000884)
Math and stuff?

Crabtree (2011) - 72 Rec | 875 Yds | 4 TDs
V. Davis (2011) - 67 Rec | 792 Yds | 6 TDs

67 Rec 792yrds 6 TDs from a TE >>>>>> 72 rec 875yds 4 TDs from a WR.

VAfy-ya 05-16-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatadai (Post 3001482)
I don't need to find a report. If you don't remember how your own WR has acted since he entered the NFL, here's a reminder...
-Last off-season when players were organizing workouts due to the lockout, and Alice Smith was trying to practice the new Harbaugh playbook with everyone, Crabtree didn't show up for a whole month. When he finally got there, he didn't put any work in because he had "sore feet" from new shoes.
-He took shots at Alice Smith, I hate Alice, but a two year WR who at the time was just as much of a bust himself, was taking shots at a veteran? And Alice has proven last year that he's more valuable to SF than Crabtree. Maybe because he decided to put in some work during the off-season? Some work would have easily improved Crabtree's ****** route running.
-His second off-season, he was being a lazy entitled bastard during workouts and Vernon Davis went off on his ass. The only reason he's actually showed up to workouts at all is because he has a clause in his contract which makes it mandatory for him to get paid. I wouldn't be surprised if he got "injured" again this off-season and is unable to do **** for most of it. Funny how he's always injured in the off-season and pre-season and then fine when it comes to the first week.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent to breakout. I'm saying he's a lazy bastard. We had that in JaMarcus Russell too and everyone knows how that went, so now I hate divas like Crabtree. Give me a hardworking guy like DHB any day over Crabtree. I don't see a breakout in Crabtree until he actually starts to show that he cares.

First, get your facts straight. Alex and bunch of other guys were working out(not going over plays, they didnt even have the playbook yet) during the lockout at SJSU. Crabs, along with 30+ other players chose to workout near their respective off-season homes. Crabs broke his foot(he told teammates his feet were sore as to not disclosed the injury) the first day of Camp Alex(a semi mini-camp Alex orgnized when they actually got a majority of the offensive players together, going over the playbook, classroom work, and running through plays on the field). And even though he couldnt participate physically, he still stayed for all the classroom stuff and film study.

Secondly, Harbaugh has gone on record that Crabtree is a guy who shows up prepared and ready to work. That no one out-works him. This perception that he's lazy is just that....perception. Forget that spat with him and VD. You know how many ppl have gotten into with VD at TC? Its a long list. It was something that was blown way out of proportion. Fact is the media paints Crabtree that way because he's a introverted guy who doesn't say much and hates talking in front of microphones. He gives the media the cold shoulder and because of it, beat writers label him anti-social or a mal-content. Divas love attention. Love the sound of their own voice. Thats not Crabs. He rather do his talking on the field. He's a loner in the ultimate team sport and that just rubs some ppl the wrong way. Doesn't make him a bad teammate nor a diva.

As far as his production, he'll never put up great numbers with Alex as his QB. Sure he has lapses in concentration and drops a few balls, but ultimately his QB, up until this point, hasnt been the greatest throwing to the outside, intermediate to deep. VD will always be the playmaker because Alex is comfortable working between the hashes, over the middle. Thats usually where VD does most of his work. But the additions of MM, Moss, and Jenkins should allow Crabs to work from the slot more and give him more opportunties in the part of the field where Alex is most comfortable.

whatadai 05-16-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAfy-ya (Post 3001856)
First, get your facts straight. Alex and bunch of other guys were working out(not going over plays, they didnt even have the playbook yet) during the lockout at SJSU. Crabs, along with 30+ other players chose to workout near their respective off-season homes. Crabs broke his foot(he told teammates his feet were sore as to not disclosed the injury) the first day of Camp Alex(a semi mini-camp Alex orgnized when they actually got a majority of the offensive players together, going over the playbook, classroom work, and running through plays on the field). And even though he couldnt participate physically, he still stayed for all the classroom stuff and film study.

Read the first sentence...
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...ok-in-han.html
Crabtree didn't show up until early June, his teammates had been going over the new playbook and practicing since early May.

As for the rest of your post, I was only showing the problems he's caused every off-season because I was told he had none. If you want to keep making excuses for Crabtree's lack of effort, go ahead, he's not on my team so I couldn't care less. The fact is, unless he starts getting his act together he won't show his real talent and will be outperformed by DHB. Just defending DHB in this thread because picking him over Crabtree was never the big deal everyone tried to make it seem.

RaidersFan1995 05-16-2012 09:56 PM

I like DHB and his upside more but I think Crabtree is solid and I think he is better at getting yac than people give him credit for.

Abaddon 05-16-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3000924)
What's the "what" about?

That last part is inaccurate. He's not a very good downfield receiver. He is, however, developing into a very good possession receiver. Most of his catches were on outs and come backs. It's really quite puzzling, but also great to see.

Ness 05-16-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatadai (Post 3001812)
Oh really? Alex Smith...doesn't sound right...you sure it isn't Alexis? I don't know...still pretty sure it's Alice...

Perhaps you have dyslexia?

There is a site I've heard of called NFL.com.

Rumor has it they may hold the key to the true nature of this paradigm.

Hmmm...maybe this link can help you.

Your help link

whatadai 05-16-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3002104)
Perhaps you have dyslexia?

There is a site I've heard of called NFL.com.

Rumor has it they may hold the key to the true nature of this paradigm.

Eh...doesn't seem like a good source. My sources have always told me that SF had some evil queen with plucked eyebrows for a QB named Alice Smith.

However, I heard there's a new Kaep Crusader in town. The hero SF deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Job Reborn 05-16-2012 11:57 PM

Hey look how cool and funny i am lol i am calling another teams qb by a girlie name lol this is so witty