Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What teams have the worst QB? Worst back-up QB? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53039)

Shane P. Hallam 05-23-2012 01:39 PM

What teams have the worst QB? Worst back-up QB?
 
Looking at the Predict Top 5 in 2013 Draft, I went back to the history, and there seems to be a correlation between the team and their leading passer:

2012: Indianapolis Colts - Curtis Painter

2011: Carolina Panthers - Jimmy Clausen

2010: St. Louis Rams - Marc Bulger

2009: Detroit Lions - Dan Orlovsky

2008: Miami Dolphins - Cleo Lemon

2007: Oakland Raiders - Andrew Walter

2006: Houston Texans - David Carr

2005: San Francisco 49ers - Tim Rattay


Obviously QB play just keeps being more and more important, but perhaps the way to "predict" the Top 5 next year is to investigate:

1. Who has the worst starting QBs in the NFL

2. Who has the worst BACK-UP. We saw this last year with the Peyton injury, and if a starter goes down, which teams are in danger of tanking?

bigbluedefense 05-23-2012 01:44 PM

Cleveland, Oakland, Jacksonville, Arizona, and Seattle would be the 5 teams based on this premise with Jacksonville being the runaway front runner for the 1st pick in the draft.

jrdrylie 05-23-2012 01:49 PM

I'd rank them in terms of awfulness:

1. Cleveland- Brandon Weeden-Colt McCoy-Seneca Wallace

2. Jacksonville- Blaine Gabbert-Chad Henne-Jordan Palmer

3. Arizona Cardinals- Kevin Kolb-John Skelton-Richard Bartel

vidae 05-23-2012 01:51 PM

Kansas City has Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn, Ricky Stanzi.

That is a pretty awful group of QBs.

jrdrylie 05-23-2012 01:53 PM

They would have been next on my list

Splat 05-23-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3010958)
Kansas City has Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn, Ricky Stanzi.

That is a pretty awful group of QBs.

This.

It's pretty bad.

vidae 05-23-2012 01:57 PM

I didn't want Weeden but he's got to be better than Blaine Gabbert. I'd put Cleveland third behind the Jags and Cardinals, with the Chiefs hitting somewhere in the top 5.

Brothgar 05-23-2012 02:02 PM

Rank The starters My opinion most are close and in the same tier

32. Jags - Gabbert
31. Browns - Weeden
30. Phins - Tannehill? Moore?
29. Jets - Sanchez/Tebow
28. Raiders - Palmer
27. Cardinals - Skelton/Kolb
26. Seattle Seahawks - Flynn
25. Kansas City - Cassel
24. Min - Ponder
23. TB - Josh Freeman
22. SF - Alex Smith
21. StL - Sam Bradford
20. Cin - Andy Dalton
19. Buf - Ryan Fitzpatrick
18. Was - Robert Griffin
17. Ind - Andrew Luck
16. Ten - Hasselbeck / Locker
15. Bal - Joe Flacco
14. Chi - Jay Cutler
13. Dal - Tony Romo
12. ATL - Matt Ryan
11. S.D. - Philip Rivers
10. Houston - Schaub
9. Philly - Vick
8. Carolina - Cam
7. Detroit - Stafford
6. NYG - Manning
5. Pittsburgh - Ben
4. Denver - Manning
3. Green Bay - Rogers
2. New Orleans - Brees
1. New Englad - Brady

DiG 05-23-2012 02:06 PM

For me the worst starting qbs right now would probably be:

Gabbert
Kolb
Weeden (most unknown)
Ponder
Matt Moore

Brothgar 05-23-2012 02:44 PM

Rank the Backups at least thus far


17. SD - Touchdown Jesus
16. SF - Colin Kaepernick
15. Sea - Jackson/Wilson
14. Jets - Tim Tebow
13. Ind - Drew Stanton
12. Detroit - Shaun Hill
11. Min - Joe Webb
10. Buffalo - Vince Young
9. Houston - TJ Yates
8. Redskins - Rex Grossman/Cousins
7. Browns - McCoy
6. Cards - Skelton/Kolb
5. Miami - Matt Moore
5. Cowboys -Kyle Orton
4. Bears - Jason Campbell
3. Jags - Chad Henne
2. New Englad - Mallett / Hoyer
1. Titans - Hasselbeck/ Locker

Brown Leader 05-23-2012 03:18 PM

OK then...

1. Chiefs - Cassel - Quinn - Stanzi
2. Browns - McCoy - Weeden* - Wallace
3. Vikings - Ponder* - Webb - Rosenfels
4. Dolphins - Moore - Garrard - Tannehill*
5. Seahawks - Flynn - Wilson - Jackson
6. Jaguars - Gabbert - Henne - Palmer
7. Raiders - Palmer - Leinart - Pryor

One away...

1. Chargers - Rivers - Whitehurst
2. Rams - Bradford - Clemens - Brandstater
3. Steelers - Roeth - Batch - Leftwich
4. Eagles - Vick - Kafka - Edwards - Foles
5. Bengals - Dalton* - Gradkowski - Robinson

Caulibflower 05-23-2012 03:25 PM

I think Seattle probably has the best backup QB situation in the NFL right now - it's the starting situation where the bar's set pretty low.

fear the elf 05-23-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3011103)
I think Seattle probably has the best backup QB situation in the NFL right now - it's the starting situation where the bar's set pretty low.

I think Cleveland is in the same situation. They have one of the better backups (and even 3rd QB in Wallace), but the starter is obviously pretty bad.

vidae 05-23-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 3011127)
worst backup and denver hasn't been mentioned yet?

Brock Osweiler is the futurezzzzzzzzzz.

WCH 05-23-2012 04:38 PM

Graham Harrell.


Brent 05-23-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3010942)
if a starter goes down, which teams are in danger of tanking?

If Rivers goes down for the season, SD will enjoy that #1 pick.

Brothgar 05-23-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 3011169)
If Rivers goes down for the season, SD will enjoy that #1 pick.

Whithurst is not that bad. If Rodgers goes down early the Pack might just get #1 overall though

asdf1223 05-23-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broth223 (Post 3011175)
Whithurst is not that bad. If Rodgers goes down early the Pack might just get #1 overall though

Thankfully it means you didn't watch Browns-Seahawks last year. (Not that I am suggesting you should, its one of the worst Quartbacked games ever).

descendency 05-23-2012 06:22 PM

Jacksonville has the worst QB. Have you seen Gabbert? I mean, if that isn't blatantly obvious, I doubt you've seen Gabbert.

Seattle, Minnesota, Oakland, Cleveland, KC, and Arizona could all see major improvements by drafting a real QB. Cincinnati too.

Sam Bradford may be the biggest name on the hot seat this year. If he doesn't perform, he could be out of a job, too.

edit: If Rodgers goes down, the Pack will still be way better than a lot of teams. No chance of the #1 overall pick.

Brodeur 05-23-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broth223 (Post 3011056)
Rank the Backups at least thus far


17. SD - Touchdown Jesus
16. SF - Colin Kaepernick
15. Sea - Jackson/Wilson
14. Jets - Tim Tebow
13. Ind - Drew Stanton
12. Detroit - Shaun Hill
11. Min - Joe Webb
10. Buffalo - Vince Young
9. Houston - TJ Yates
8. Redskins - Rex Grossman/Cousins
7. Browns - McCoy
6. Cards - Skelton/Kolb
5. Miami - Matt Moore
5. Cowboys -Kyle Orton
4. Bears - Jason Campbell
3. Jags - Chad Henne
2. New Englad - Mallett / Hoyer
1. Titans - Hasselbeck/ Locker

Shaun Hill is way too low, and Matt Moore should be number 2 at worst after his season last year.

broncosfan 05-23-2012 06:44 PM

Well the Dolphins have a rookie starting in Tannehill and two mediocre at best veteran QB's in Moore and Garrard... so they have a really questionable situation.

whatadai 05-23-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broth223 (Post 3010975)
Rank The starters My opinion most are close and in the same tier

32. Jags - Gabbert
31. Browns - Weeden
30. Phins - Tannehill? Moore?
29. Jets - Sanchez/Tebow
28. Raiders - Palmer
27. Cardinals - Skelton/Kolb
26. Seattle Seahawks - Flynn
25. Kansas City - Cassel
24. Min - Ponder
23. TB - Josh Freeman
22. SF - Alex Smith
21. StL - Sam Bradford
20. Cin - Andy Dalton
19. Buf - Ryan Fitzpatrick
18. Was - Robert Griffin
17. Ind - Andrew Luck
16. Ten - Hasselbeck / Locker
15. Bal - Joe Flacco
14. Chi - Jay Cutler
13. Dal - Tony Romo
12. ATL - Matt Ryan
11. S.D. - Philip Rivers
10. Houston - Schaub
9. Philly - Vick
8. Carolina - Cam
7. Detroit - Stafford
6. NYG - Manning
5. Pittsburgh - Ben
4. Denver - Manning
3. Green Bay - Rogers
2. New Orleans - Brees
1. New Englad - Brady

Are you kidding me? I'd take Palmer over Skelton, Kolb, Flynn, Ponder, Freeman, and Bradford any day.

bigbluedefense 05-23-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatadai (Post 3011325)
Are you kidding me? I'd take Palmer over Skelton, Kolb, Flynn, Ponder, Freeman, and Bradford any day.

No way. Palmer is awful. His arm is shot.

I'd take Ponder, Flynn, Freeman, Bradford over him easily, I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Skelton and Kolb? I'd have to think about it. Palmer really is an awful qb.

wogitalia 05-23-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Well the Dolphins have a rookie starting in Tannehill and two mediocre at best veteran QB's in Moore and Garrard... so they have a really questionable situation.
I'd have thought that was Moore's starter gig to lose.

Minny are certainly up there, the positive we have is that Ponder did flash some potential last year so could move out of the bottom 5 or so teams, probably wont hurt to have a decent LT for the first time in this millennium.

bigbluedefense 05-23-2012 08:14 PM

Isn't Minny high on their backup? Some people even want Webb to start.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.