Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How high will player salaries get? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53042)

stlouisfan37 05-23-2012 07:14 PM

How high will player salaries get?
 
As we all know, player salaries have skyrocketed in the last decade. The NFL finally put a rookie salary cap in place so that players would actually have to earn these great rewards, but with several $100 million-plus contracts in the league now, I got to wondering how big this snowball will get before it melts.

One of the things that caught my attention this offseason was the backloading that agents have done with player contracts, specifically Calvin Johnson and Mario Williams. While this tactic requires patience on the part of the player, it pays off bigtime when their contract year comes up in terms of leverage.

When a player's contract is finished, the team has the right to place the franchise tag on him at a value of either the average salary of the top 5 highest paid players at his position, or 120% of his cap number that year, whichever is greater. Because of the backloaded contracts, both Johnson and Williams had franchise values of over $20 million. This gave them a huge amount of leverage when it came time to renegotiate. In the end Detroit gave Johnson the huge deal he was seeking, while Houston was forced to let Williams walk and he got his deal from Buffalo.

Take a look at the situation Drew Brees is in right now. Due to his contract NOT being backloaded, the Saints are not behaving in the same manner as they would if he had a huge franchise number. You better believe that every agent for a starting QB in the league is paying close attention. I don't see many similar contracts coming about in the near future.

Another thing to consider is the possibility that more and more underclassmen will declare for the draft rather than returning to school. Since the inception of the rookie cap, it has become the wiser move to come out early. The sooner you finish your rookie contract, the sooner you get the big bucks.

I don't know if I'm looking for answers here, or if I just find the money side of the game fascinating. In any case, I would like to know how everyone else sees this. Just seems like the kind of thing we all like to talk about around here:)

Bengalsrocket 05-23-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 (Post 3011306)
Another thing to consider is the possibility that more and more underclassmen will declare for the draft rather than returning to school. Since the inception of the rookie cap, it has become the wiser move to come out early. The sooner you finish your rookie contract, the sooner you get the big bucks.

This has always been true though lol. Nothing has changed either way, except some players may never get the "big bucks" now.

stlouisfan37 05-23-2012 08:01 PM

This is true. So will the result be a wider margin between the have's and have nots? The rookie salary cap was supposedly put into place so that teams would be able to give more money to veteran players. I don't think the intention was to just give more money to the veteran players who are already getting more money.

falloutboy14 06-04-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

So will the result be a wider margin between the have's and have nots?
It should be considerably more forgiving to bad teams. If Jamarcus Russel got the contract Cam Newton got, the Raiders would obviously have more cap room/flexibility. It should increase the speed for bad teams improving if they draft well, and lessen the pain if they draft poorly.

I do think the rookie salary cap will encourage more players to leave college early. For players who will go first round as a junior, there's not the incentive to stay and try to be a top 5-10 pick. Furthermore, their rookie contract may be shorter, getting them to their 2nd contract faster.

bam bam 06-04-2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sad-wank (Post 3021427)
onlinepharmadirect net/][img]lh3 googleusercontent com/-wDVczD535yI/T5yQr_r3cwI/AAAAAAAAADc/J9Vkm2CJPB8/s613/main_page_*******_03 jpg][/img]

pentoxifylline infertility codeina principio activo amlodipino codigo atc
estradiol bajo causas tamiflu tratamiento contra ah1n1 diltiazem efectos adversos
loratadina pseudoefedrina generico fosamax semanal 70 mg comprimidos cetirizina forma farmaceutica
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=905815
tamoxifeno infertilidad arcoxia y embarazo aldactone venta
atrovent bronquial wellbutrin compuestos voltaren bei grippe
flickr com/people/77861045@N08/
soma energetics furazolidona edad imipramina marcas
amoxicilina tifoidea clonazepam risperidona fobia social prozac medical seeds 3
litio pc hydrocodone yellow pill watson 853 metronidazol primer trimestre
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=890350
levonorgestrel farmacodinamia triamcinolona chile parlodel chile
terbutaline doses for preterm labor dulcolax tiempo fluoxetina testimonios
flickr com/people/77850681@N08/
ativan tabletas 2 mg duloxetine twice a day adalat oros nifedipino 30 mg
aciclovir pensa para que sirve panadol venta litio fmc
tenoretic en chile triamcinolona infomed motilium nombre comercial
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=208747
estradiol norelgestromin dramamine ioma mometasona que es
lamotrigine tonic-clonic ****** sus efectos ampicilina dolor de estomago
flickr com/people/79628987@N02/
panadol efervescente lactancia lovastatin induces growth inhibition apoptosis ****** femenino en chile
propecia pelo sano oxicodona kairos zyprexa tiempo efecto
misoprostol componentes propecia men's health colchicina vademecum argentina
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=17325
zyban erfolg clorpromazina uso veterinario codeina noticias
******* ****** en bogota prozac limon ketoconazol propiedades fisicoquimicas
flickr com/people/77850681@N08/
****** sleeping problems aciclovir stada 200 mg terbutaline toxicology
clomid you should lortab good fibromyalgia doxazosina vejiga
****** dolor de piernas clonazepam lemax robaxin faes farma
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=28681
imodium vademecum litio emol sporanox español
metotrexato iv dosis xenical reductil españa arava prednisona
flickr com/people/79619445@N03/
claritromicina com mx carvedilol lactantes synthroid vendo
misoprostol proceso aciclovir dosis embarazo simvastatin prednisolone interaction
lamotrigine micronor linezolid fotos xenical nombres comerciales
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=389329
leflunomida vih litio pilas recargables aripiprazol royal pharma
gabapentina tabletas avodart comprimidos terramicina usos
flickr com/people/79615917@N02/
enalapril hipoartel verapamilo iny metronidazol dosis para perros
lamotrigina stada 50 mg mometasona furoato genfar ********** vitaminas
eritromicina chlamydia trachomatis litio utilidad ribavirina rbv
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=961472
metronidazol gatos dosis micardis efectos secundarios glimepirida venta
espironolactona cabello carvedilol cyclosporine interactions ****** line
flickr com/people/77790629@N04/



Gotta hand it to you spammy...you might just have the best username on this forum.

WCH 06-04-2012 04:29 AM

I think that I actually liked the spambots more before Scott/Shane/Whoever took away their ability to post links.

jth1331 06-04-2012 08:16 AM

The rookie salary cap was in place because rookies were starting to get contracts that paid them the top 5 of their position, before even playing a game. And if they busted, it set the franchise back. Now, a team can just throw that bust out and not worry about it. For instance, say Gabbert blows again this year and the Jaguars get the first pick. There would be nothing holding them back from taking a QB with that pick as they don't have the bank invested in Gabbert like the Rams do with Bradford, like the Raiders did with Russell, and so on.
I would argue that the way it used to be encouraged players to come out sooner than it does now. I don't see a sudden surge of more underclassmen declaring.

Razor 06-04-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jth1331 (Post 3021576)
The rookie salary cap was in place because rookies were starting to get contracts that paid them the top 5 of their position, before even playing a game. And if they busted, it set the franchise back. Now, a team can just throw that bust out and not worry about it. For instance, say Gabbert blows again this year and the Jaguars get the first pick. There would be nothing holding them back from taking a QB with that pick as they don't have the bank invested in Gabbert like the Rams do with Bradford, like the Raiders did with Russell, and so on.
I would argue that the way it used to be encouraged players to come out sooner than it does now. I don't see a sudden surge of more underclassmen declaring.

That's what I thought until the draft set a record this year with the most underclassmen declaring with 63. I think that players might actually declare earlier now because they now that they can only play football for a finite number of years. By not declaring earlier they are pushing that big pay day a year into the future, and since football players want to get paid they'll declare early under they new CBA. I fully expect the trend of more underclassmen declaring to continue.

FUNBUNCHER 06-04-2012 09:47 AM

Salaries are irrelevant. It's all about guaranteed money. No one except a top 5 QB can expect to be paid every penny in a $100+ mil contract.

Rosebud 06-24-2012 10:49 PM

NFL salaries will keep rising so long as the league keeps expanding and the dollar keeps weakening.

OzTitan 06-24-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnuyjuikikl (Post 3040448)
This is true. So will the result be a wider margin between the have's and have nots? The rookie salary cap was supposedly put into place so that teams would be able to give more money to veteran players.

I think it will have the desired effect. Every team will have more of their cap money to spend on vets (and a cap floor to boot), but not every team has guys that will be demanding absolute 'push the limits' top dollar. So they will likely use it to retain mid range+ vets.

In any case, I don't think the salary system how it was before was stopping many teams from keeping who they wanted in most instances, so I don't see more of the pie for vets meaning only the elite will get a lot more money and that's it - teams will still want to hang onto the other guys just like before.

Although I guess if the league really wanted to spread the wealth to more vets they could have raised the vet minimal significantly.

Bucs_Rule 06-26-2012 10:57 AM

Under the previous CBA NFL teams had to pay huge amounts to rookies. Under the new system they can pay the money they saved to veterans or they can keep it themselves.

The NFL used spreading the money to veterans as an excuse to save money.

Not to mention it was getting pretty ridiculous that the highest paid player at some positions were rookies.

WCH 06-26-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3040565)
NFL salaries will keep rising so long as the league keeps expanding and the dollar keeps weakening.

Yeah, pretty much. In the 90's, it looked like NBA salaries were going to rise to completely insane levels. Michael Jordan was signing one-year contracts that paid him $30 Million per year. 15 years ago, Jordan earned something like $33 Million for one season; but Kobe was the highest paid player last season, at about $25 Million. The league stopped expanding after the MJ Gravy Train, and I wouldn't be surprised if inflation-adjusted revenue declines eventually force them to consolidate one or two teams (if a guy like Durant doesn't turn into their new cash cow).

The weakening dollar is a great point, btw. People rarely think about that. It's just like the way that every few years we have a new "highest grossing movie EVER," but they never mention inflation and population increases.

Razor 06-26-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCH (Post 3042509)
Yeah, pretty much. In the 90's, it looked like NBA salaries were going to rise to completely insane levels. Michael Jordan was signing one-year contracts that paid him $30 Million per year. 15 years ago, Jordan earned something like $33 Million for one season; but Kobe was the highest paid player last season, at about $25 Million. The league stopped expanding after the MJ Gravy Train, and I wouldn't be surprised if inflation-adjusted revenue declines eventually force them to consolidate one or two teams (if a guy like Durant doesn't turn into their new cash cow).

The weakening dollar is a great point, btw. People rarely think about that. It's just like the way that every few years we have a new "highest grossing movie EVER," but they never mention inflation and population increases.

To be fair the weak dollar could have an adverse effect on the revenue when you look beyond a couple of years. But right now it's definitely helping.

Rosebud 06-26-2012 05:17 PM

With a dropping dollar, even if real revenue stops growing as fast as it has been, players will continue getting bigger and bigger dollar amounts on their deals.

redbills 06-26-2012 07:16 PM

Mario got 96 mill not 100. incentives can make it 100 mill.

fenikz 06-26-2012 07:25 PM

i just imagine that eventually QBs will take up 95% of a team's salary as that is the only position in the NFL that matters

brat316 06-26-2012 07:33 PM

So rumor has it salary cap isn't going to increase much next year.

Iamcanadian 06-27-2012 12:56 AM

The NFL is in the entertainment business and the salaries its stars receive are minuscule compared to what an actor or actress can make in a season and all their money is guaranteed. At leat half a dozen actors and actresses make over 100 million a year with many more in the 50 to 99 million category but nobody complains about that. Sport fans just love to complain about high salaries but in today's world, sport figures really don't come close to the salaries of highly successful CEO's or many other professions, they are just reported more by the sports media.
Salaries in the entertainment industry are based on profits and as long as profits continue to grow, salaries will expand with them. 25 years from now, fans will wonder what all the fuss was about after salaries go up 10 to 50 fold from today's numbers just like they did in the last 25 years. Right now sport salaries are peanuts compared to other professions.

Razor 06-27-2012 01:00 AM

I sure would like to know which actors make $100 million a year. Only a handful of actors charge $20 mil per movie, which equates to them making 5 movies per year. Really?

WCH 06-27-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 3042569)
i just imagine that eventually QBs will take up 95% of a team's salary as that is the only position in the NFL that matters

Minimum salaries will probably prevent it. If it weren't for minimum salaries, I'd imagine that most punters and "special teams aces" would be earning 50k a season.

I'm guessing that's why Brees, Manning, and Brady headlined the anti-trust lawsuit.

Bengalsrocket 06-28-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 3042818)
The NFL is in the entertainment business and the salaries its stars receive are minuscule compared to what an actor or actress can make in a season and all their money is guaranteed. At leat half a dozen actors and actresses make over 100 million a year with many more in the 50 to 99 million category but nobody complains about that. Sport fans just love to complain about high salaries but in today's world, sport figures really don't come close to the salaries of highly successful CEO's or many other professions, they are just reported more by the sports media.
Salaries in the entertainment industry are based on profits and as long as profits continue to grow, salaries will expand with them. 25 years from now, fans will wonder what all the fuss was about after salaries go up 10 to 50 fold from today's numbers just like they did in the last 25 years. Right now sport salaries are peanuts compared to other professions.

I think this is pretty rare. It probably only happens to actor / actress once in their life time (I'm thinking like Will Smith around the time MiB came out). He might have made 100 million in a single year, but it would be rare.

The more important part though, is that Will Smith wasn't on a team with a salary cap where he took a large percentage of it. Movies are budgeted by different companies and different people.

The actor / actress analogy would only fit if a player was playing for multiple teams and getting paid by each.

WCH 06-28-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 3042818)
The NFL is in the entertainment business and the salaries its stars receive are minuscule compared to what an actor or actress can make in a season and all their money is guaranteed. At leat half a dozen actors and actresses make over 100 million a year with many more in the 50 to 99 million category but nobody complains about that. Sport fans just love to complain about high salaries but in today's world, sport figures really don't come close to the salaries of highly successful CEO's or many other professions, they are just reported more by the sports media.
Salaries in the entertainment industry are based on profits and as long as profits continue to grow, salaries will expand with them. 25 years from now, fans will wonder what all the fuss was about after salaries go up 10 to 50 fold from today's numbers just like they did in the last 25 years. Right now sport salaries are peanuts compared to other professions.

I don't think that anybody said that players are overpaid or complained about the salaries. Sports fans are pretty sophisticated when it comes to salary issues, as they relate to the pricing mechanism.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.