Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Homepage help (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53120)

Razor 06-03-2012 02:20 AM

Homepage help

Hi guys

I went and bought myself a domain name since I want to create a homepage that includes a blog and other content. However, designing that homepage turned out to be more difficult than I expected. Can anyone tell where to start? I run mac osx fwiw. The reason that I registered my own domain is that I want full control and no adds. But does that also mean that I can't embed wordpress?

Caddy 06-03-2012 02:24 AM

Where is your website hosted?

Razor 06-03-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 3020270)
Where is your website hosted?

I don't even know what that means haha. Basically I just registered the domain. What you're telling me is that I need to have it hosted as well?

Caddy 06-03-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 3020273)

I don't even know what that means haha. Basically I just registered the domain. What you're telling me is that I need to have it hosted as well?

Well at the moment it sounds like you just own the name of the website. I run my universities Law Society website so I'm not super knowledgeable about the process, but you definitely need to have it hosted somewhere.

I can't recommend any good hosts (especially given your location), but I know a lot of places like GoDaddy provide hosting capabilities with WordPress already set up.

Rob S 06-03-2012 02:40 AM

PM njx9. If he likes you, he will certainly be able to answer your question. If he doesnt like you, well, idk.....new njx likes everyone anyway.

Razor 06-03-2012 02:44 AM

lol thanks. njx scares me.... I think I might a little later, but I think I'm starting to understand how to use wordpress to design my homepage. Thanks for the answers so far, I'm sure I'll come back with more questions later.

Brent 06-03-2012 05:39 PM

njx is a big cuddly bear

nepg 06-03-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 3020267)
Hi guys

I went and bought myself a domain name since I want to create a homepage that includes a blog and other content. However, designing that homepage turned out to be more difficult than I expected. Can anyone tell where to start? I run mac osx fwiw. The reason that I registered my own domain is that I want full control and no adds. But does that also mean that I can't embed wordpress?

Domains are just names you can apply to a host address or associate with another domain. What you can do with a page really depends on the host. As has been said. You can usually do whatever you want as long as it falls within the bandwidth allowance.

Paul 06-05-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 3020267)
Hi guys

What will you use the site for?

If you need a hosting site I recommend Hostgator. They host my company's site and they are extremely easy to work with.

As far as content management, Wordpress will probably be the best CMS for you. Drupal and Joomla are some other alternatives but they are not exactly beginner friendly, but they do the job if you're dealing with a small-medium size business site.

As far as designing, you won't need to do too much extensive coding as wordpress and other CMS does most of the UI work for you. WP has a wide selection of themes/templates you can choose from. Some are free but the premium ones are worth it if you want to spend a little extra dough for something sexy. You will have to learn how to work with plugins, modules and where exactly you have to plug in your content, but it isn't that difficult.

Hope that helps.