Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Who's your Sleepers? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53217)

bigbluedefense 06-10-2012 03:49 PM

Who's your Sleepers?

Discuss teams, units, or players that you think are sleepers heading into this season in this thread.

Right now, I have my eyes on 2 offenses that I think are sleepers to be very good this upcoming season.

Units

1. Pittsburgh

I think with the addition of Adams and DeCastro, the Steelers have really shored up that OL. I think Wallace, Brown, and Sanders makes a very potent and fast 3 WR set, and I know Haley plans on using Miller more in the passing game as well. That's a great group of players at the skill positions. Couple the improved OL with Ben at qb, and an improved run game under Haley, and I think this unit has a lot of potential to be deadly this season.

2. Tennessee

There are a lot of "Ifs" associated with this unit. IF CJ bounces back, IF Locker can develop, IF Britt is healthy, IF Wright has a great rookie season. But all of those Ifs aren't crazy. If they all happen, and it's not out of the question that they do, you have a potent offense. Nate Washington is slept on, Britt is a stud, Wright is a great slot, they have a very underrated TE, CJ at his best is a beast, and now you have a qb who can also add the scrambling element to the field in Locker if he develops.

It really all depends on Locker to me. I was a big Locker fan, so I expect him to be good. If he can be, coupled with all those other factors bouncing their way, watch out for Tennessee. Tennessee as a whole is being slept on a lot this season. Don't be surprised if they win the division.

3. St. Louis's defense

I also think we see a lot of improvement from St. Louis's defense this year. They were banged up like hell last year. They add Finnegan and Jenkins to the secondary, Laurentitis is underrated, and Long and Quinn are on the come up. Brockers should help the run defense. I think that group has potential.

Players

I think Malcolm Jenkins breaks out this year at FS. He's known as a very good FS, I think under Spags can be an elite FS. He's got it all, the size, speed, instincts, tackling ability, he can lay wood, I think Spag's scheme should really bring out the best in him.

I think Jimmy Smith in Baltimore establishes himself as one of the best CBs in the game. I love me some Jimmy Smith. I think he's a stud.

That's all I got for now, I'm sure more will come to mind later.

SuperPacker 06-10-2012 03:58 PM

1. Chiefs
They're going to the Superbowl.

2. Packers Defense
With Perry and Worthy hopefully helping the pass rush, we could go back too the 2010 defense.

3. Rams Offense
Sam Bradford with a better team around him should do better.

OSUGiants17 06-10-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3029269)
1. Chiefs

I love the Chiefs too, but Cassell will never ever reach the Super Bowl

bigbluedefense 06-10-2012 04:04 PM

Unless Cassell becomes Brady's backup again, he'll never be in a Super Bowl.

OSUGiants17 06-10-2012 04:06 PM

Buccaneers will make the Playoffs this year. I think Ryan has a bad year for Atlanta, New Orleans is in turmoil and Carolina isn't there...yet, but they will be soon.

That's all I got for now.

bigbluedefense 06-10-2012 04:07 PM

I like the Bucs too. Schiano will have them playing Jersey football. They'll be tough and physical.

OSUGiants17 06-10-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3029281)
I like the Bucs too. Schiano will have them playing Jersey football. They'll be tough and physical.

Yea man, I can't wait to see Martin and Blount behind that new O-Line with Nicks. They are going to put up some big numbers, plus VJax will help them a lot. I loved what they did this offseason both in the draft and in FA.

O I also agree with you on Tennessee, I think they are in playoff contention this year as well as Buffalo. I think in a year or 2 when Locker takes over they will put on some great battles with Houston for the division crown.

Brent 06-10-2012 04:15 PM

Arizona's defense - That defense is scary on paper. I am expecting their young OLBs to wreck havoc.

scottyboy 06-10-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 3029290)
Arizona's defense - That defense is scary on paper. I am expecting their young OLBs to wreck havoc.

I agree whole heartedly.

I also like the Bills. I like their draft and liked what they did last season

bigbluedefense 06-10-2012 04:48 PM

Yeah I also like Arizona's defense a lot. I love Buffalo's dline, I want to see upgrades to the LB core though. I'm also iffy on their secondary, although if Gilmore pans out, and Williams continues to grow they'll be good in the secondary too.

OSUGiants17 06-10-2012 04:56 PM

I like Arizona's D also, but I hate their QB play. I think they have a mediocre season but get too many wins because of that D to be in position to draft a real QB.

bigbluedefense 06-10-2012 04:57 PM

Yeah Arizona will be handcuffed by horrible qb play. What's worse is they run an offensive system that's heavily reliant on good qb play and quick decision making.

OSUGiants17 06-10-2012 05:13 PM

Yea I think they just gotta hope a lot of underclassmen declare and they can get a guy like Smith, Jones or maybe even Barkley. I think if Bray and Logan both declare they will beat out Barkley and be in the top 3 along with Wilson letting Barkley slip into a very lucky scenario.

onejayhawk 06-10-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3029269)
1. Chiefs

I dont know about the team winning the AFC. Houston has the inside track there. But the Chiefs defense is going to rock the league this year. Last year without Eric Berry and a decent NT they were top 10 for the second half of the season. Both those issue have been addressed, depth is much improved, and Justin Houston and Allen Bailey are no longer rookies.

J

OSUGiants17 06-10-2012 07:37 PM

I don't care how good their D is, they still have a horrible QB. The Ravens have a better D and QB and still can't make it past the Pats. No ******* chance the Chiefs make it. Sorry, like I said I love them and wish they would, but they won't. Also, stop signing posts "J" it's dumb.

WCH 06-10-2012 07:51 PM

People are sleeping on the Bears. They're going to compete for the NFC North, and if/when they make the playoffs, they're a legitimate threat to go all the way.

OSUGiants17 06-10-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCH (Post 3029437)
People are sleeping on the Bears. They're going to compete for the NFC North, and if/when they make the playoffs, they're a legitimate threat to go all the way.

I've been saying that all season long. I think if Cutler stays healthy they're a SB threat, but that's a big if with their OL. I love that they gave him some legit WRs and got Forte a backup, but they need Forte to actually play and to keep Cutler healthy. Like I said, they do that and they're easily a playoff team.

Gay Ork Wang 06-10-2012 07:58 PM

The OL is not that bad.

WCH 06-10-2012 08:12 PM

Cutler's health is the key thing. Last season, they looked damn good before his injury. The year before, they may very well have gone to the Super Bowl if Cutler hadn't gotten injured in the NFCCG.

On paper, I think they're better this season. They should scare Packers, Giants, and 49ers fans.

ATLDirtyBirds 06-10-2012 08:25 PM

Couple of Chargers I could see putting up big years: Ryan Matthews and Robert Meachum.

WCH 06-10-2012 08:27 PM

I'm still a big fan of Ryan Matthews.

OSUGiants17 06-10-2012 09:01 PM

Matthews went from being called a bust to being deemed for a breakout year. Just shows what a difference a year makes.

Mufasa 06-10-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCH (Post 3029437)

The Bears are such a popular "sleeper" pick, that they can't be considered a sleeper.

WCH 06-10-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mufasa (Post 3029494)
The Bears are such a popular "sleeper" pick, that they can't be considered a sleeper.

To be fair, I wasn't saying that they're a sleeper to improve over last season or to win 10+ games. I was saying that they're a sleeper to win the whole damned thing.

gpngc 06-10-2012 09:40 PM

Colts and Brownies.

Chargers and Falcons Super Bowl.