Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Who is Matt Schaub? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53293)

Caulibflower 06-23-2012 01:37 PM

Who is Matt Schaub?
 
He really doesn't seem to get talked about very much, basically having spent his career as "That guy who throws to Andre Johnson" on losing teams. Then the Texans made the playoffs last year, and even won a game...without him. He's frequently injured, but obviously has a couple big seasons under his belt - led the league in passing yards in 2009, and did it awfully quietly.

Imagine a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Texans are a new franchise and don't have a lot of "die-hard" fans yet to pump up their players, but they're an up-and-coming team now, and what prompted this thread was seeing on NFL.com that the Texans were being talked about a contender for AFC Champions with Matt Schaub back. So for any Texans fans, or at least fans of teams playing in the AFC South, what's this guy all about? I really don't know anything about him other than his stats - just never watch any Texans games.

Ness 06-23-2012 02:12 PM

He is one of my favorite players. I really like him as a quarterback, and believe he has been extremely underrated the last three years. He probably never gets talked about for a few reasons:

1. He plays in Houston, a city that the media has never had a huge crush on like Dallas.

2. The Texans have only been around since 2002, and just made the playoffs last year.

3. He seems to have a knack for getting hurt and he isn't that outspoken of a guy.

bigbluedefense 06-23-2012 05:32 PM

Matt Schaub's biggest issue is he's lacking a signature game to put him on the national map. He's a solid qb, a top 12 guy, he just needs that game. That often comes with team success, and I think if he can stay healthy this year and the Texans continue to grow as a franchise and have more playoff success, maybe he can start adding to his resume.

He needs that signature game though. I want to see him put the team on his back during a critical 4th quarter, or make a comeback with everything on the line, or just dominant for 4 quarters vs elite competition.

I want to see a signature game. He's like a poor man's Phillip Rivers right now. Show me a little something to make me think you're more than that.

nepg 06-23-2012 06:16 PM

I think he's an average QB who gets injured at the most inconvenient times.

You can win with him, but he's not Zomg Zuperzstar! One of those guys who could be either a Top 12 QB or merely a Top 20 QB in any given year.

If you're the Texans, you're happy with him, but also grateful to teams for passing on TJ Yates.

Ness 06-23-2012 07:35 PM

He's slightly better than average to me. Average in my book is Alex Smith or Jason Campbell.

Ness 06-23-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3039051)
Matt Schaub's biggest issue is he's lacking a signature game to put him on the national map. He's a solid qb, a top 12 guy, he just needs that game. That often comes with team success, and I think if he can stay healthy this year and the Texans continue to grow as a franchise and have more playoff success, maybe he can start adding to his resume.

He needs that signature game though. I want to see him put the team on his back during a critical 4th quarter, or make a comeback with everything on the line, or just dominant for 4 quarters vs elite competition.

I want to see a signature game. He's like a poor man's Phillip Rivers right now. Show me a little something to make me think you're more than that.

He has had a few of those. The game against the Redskins where Schaub threw for nearly 500 yards and won it on a last second heave to Andre Johnson is one I remember well.

The Texans have just been in disarray for the most part on defense since his arrival. That and his injury problems have been the biggest hindrance. They won the AFC South last season and they have some difficult games in 2012 so it will be interesting to see how Schaub fares and if he can make it throughout the year. He's in the last year of his contract if I remember correctly, so this is a really an important time for Schaub and the franchise.

bigbluedefense 06-23-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3039198)
He has had a few of those. The game against the Redskins where Schaub threw for nearly 500 yards and won it on a last second heave to Andre Johnson is one I remember well.

The Texans have just been in disarray for the most part on defense since his arrival. That and his injury problems have been the biggest hindrance. They won the AFC South last season and they have some difficult games in 2012 so it will be interesting to see how Schaub fares and if he can make it throughout the year. He's in the last year of his contract if I remember correctly, so this is a really an important time for Schaub and the franchise.

How signature is that game really though? It was against the lowly Redskins in the middle of the season. Like...at the end of the day, whoopidy doo.

I'm talking about like playoffs on the line, down 4 with 2 minutes left on the clock signature. Or how about a big win vs a division rival? Something like that. He doesn't really have it. None that I can recall at least. I have East Coast bias though.

He's just missing something. I can't put my finger on it, but something is missing. The only thing I can think of is that signature moment. Even this year, the year the Texans finally get over the hump, I remember Yates more than Schaub last year. And Yates is the one who won their first playoff game.

Something is just missing. I think he can step up and finally get the attention he deserves this year, but you know how it is. Don't tell me, show me. He's gotta do it first.

ChiFan24 06-23-2012 08:37 PM

He was enormously overrated until everyone forgot about him. Could never carry a team to the super bowl. Off the top of my head, he's probably the #13 or 14 QB in the league.

BeerBaron 06-23-2012 08:43 PM

I the thing I just sent to Giantsfan, i had him at 11-12 or so. (Yeah, it was only a top 10, but included some honorable mentions.)

He's definitely a solid QB. If the Texans had him healthy in the playoffs last year, with the other teams heavily flawed for the most part, I think they could have made a serious SuperBowl run.

He's in that land of above average. More capable than any game manager...he just doesn't show it all that often.

Ness 06-23-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3039220)
How signature is that game really though? It was against the lowly Redskins in the middle of the season. Like...at the end of the day, whoopidy doo.

I'm talking about like playoffs on the line, down 4 with 2 minutes left on the clock signature. Or how about a big win vs a division rival? Something like that. He doesn't really have it. None that I can recall at least. I have East Coast bias though.

He's just missing something. I can't put my finger on it, but something is missing. The only thing I can think of is that signature moment. Even this year, the year the Texans finally get over the hump, I remember Yates more than Schaub last year. And Yates is the one who won their first playoff game.

Something is just missing. I think he can step up and finally get the attention he deserves this year, but you know how it is. Don't tell me, show me. He's gotta do it first.

Like I implied earlier there are several factors contributing to him not having that Hollywood kind of game that folks are looking for to I guess, "enshrine himself" in their eyes. All you have to do is look at the man's body of work objectively (in terms of ability) instead of look for drama that will make a good movie script. I mean, can anyone state Warren Moon's finest hour off the top of their head?

I do think Schaub is good enough to take a team far. The only thing that I would nick him for is his health status. But personally I don't put other guys like Tony Romo, Philip Rivers, head and heels above him. I think they are in the same court.

You are right that he has to show it. It is good to know, for any Texans fan, that the ability is actually within him though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 3039274)
He was enormously overrated until everyone forgot about him. Could never carry a team to the super bowl. Off the top of my head, he's probably the #13 or 14 QB in the league.

Your quarterback should never have to carry a team with an absolutely terrible defense (especially the secondary) to the Super Bowl. I can't remember many teams that have won a championship that way. It takes a complete team. Or rather, at least one side that isn't just dreadful. That is what the Texans have had since their existence for the most part.

BamaFalcon59 06-24-2012 01:04 PM

Always injured.

sbh15 06-24-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 (Post 3039592)
Always injured.

******* sweet post bro MAJOR SLAY!!!

BamaFalcon59 06-24-2012 01:23 PM

Yes I thought so.

Matthew Jones 06-24-2012 01:40 PM

Schaub is a solid starting quarterback, but also quarterbacks a team with strong coaching, an excellent offensive line, an elite receiving option, one of the top running games in the league, and a formidable defense. The Texans are loaded, but Schaub has a 32-32 record in four years and has never been able to lead his team to the playoffs. He's in the tier after Tony Romo at this point.

niel89 06-24-2012 03:16 PM

I love that some one pointed out his lack of a signature game on a national level. He needs a MNF or SNF game where he can get himself known. I'd say he is a clear cut above average QBS and you can win a SB with him. I think the Texans are in the SB with him healthy last year

gpngc 06-25-2012 09:26 AM

There is no is.

bigbluedefense 06-25-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3039318)
Like I implied earlier there are several factors contributing to him not having that Hollywood kind of game that folks are looking for to I guess, "enshrine himself" in their eyes. All you have to do is look at the man's body of work objectively (in terms of ability) instead of look for drama that will make a good movie script. I mean, can anyone state Warren Moon's finest hour off the top of their head?

I do think Schaub is good enough to take a team far. The only thing that I would nick him for is his health status. But personally I don't put other guys like Tony Romo, Philip Rivers, head and heels above him. I think they are in the same court.

You are right that he has to show it. It is good to know, for any Texans fan, that the ability is actually within him though.



Your quarterback should never have to carry a team with an absolutely terrible defense (especially the secondary) to the Super Bowl. I can't remember many teams that have won a championship that way. It takes a complete team. Or rather, at least one side that isn't just dreadful. That is what the Texans have had since their existence for the most part.

I think he's a notch below the Rivers, Romos of the world. He's a top 12 guy. Nothing wrong with that.

He's like on the same level as Matt Ryan.

VAfy-ya 06-25-2012 03:21 PM

I think Schaub is alot better than Ryan. Schaub's main problem has been the injuries. Hard to make a lasting impression when your oft injured. You can't be great, in street clothes, on the sideline. That will always be the knock on him.

bigbluedefense 06-25-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAfy-ya (Post 3041295)
I think Schaub is alot better than Ryan. Schaub's main problem has been the injuries. Hard to make a lasting impression when your oft injured. You can't be great in street clothes, on the sideline. That will always be the knock on him.

I wouldn't say he's a lot better. Schaub is like #12 in my eyes, and Ryan is like 14/15.

It's not that big of a difference. Both have their flaws. With 2 minutes left, I'll take Ryan over Schaub though.

Ness 06-25-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAfy-ya (Post 3041295)
I think Schaub is alot better than Ryan. Schaub's main problem has been the injuries. Hard to make a lasting impression when your oft injured. You can't be great, in street clothes, on the sideline. That will always be the knock on him.

I like Schaub a tad better as well.

WCH 06-25-2012 06:58 PM

I'd also take Schaub over Ryan, and last season looked like it was going to be his "coming out party" before the injury.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.