Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   NFL Network's Top 10 quarterbacks of the 90's. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53351)

Ness 07-04-2012 11:30 PM

NFL Network's Top 10 quarterbacks of the 90's.

Video list.

Or if you are lazy:

10. Randall Cunningham
9. Jeff George
8. Drew Bledsoe
7. Warren Moon
6. Jim Kelly
5. Dan Marino
4. Steve Young
3. Troy Aikman
2. John Elway
1. Brett Favre

Personally I don't think Favre should be first. I think it should be Elway followed by Favre and then Steve Young. And Jeff George ahead of Randall Cunningham? I think George should be last.

WCH 07-05-2012 01:18 AM

I think that Favre was easily the best QB of the 90's, just off of his three or four insanely good seasons. During his prime seasons, he completed passes that nobody else (except possibly Marino) would even attempt. At one point during his MVP years, I believe he even had the lowest INT-rate in NFL history (thanks in large part to the WCO). If it weren't for some off-field stuff (drugs, alcohol, women...the usual) I don't think it's a stretch to say that he could have been the GOAT.

After Favre, I'd take Young. Steve Young used to amaze me. Marino is the GOAT, but his best seasons were in the 80's. Aikman is way too high.

Vox Populi 07-05-2012 03:22 AM

I can accept Favre at #1. He has both the team and individual success to make the case with his MVP's, Super Bowl win and another Super Bowl appearance. I still don't like Aikman that high. Should be below Marino and Young in my opinion in the same boat as Kelly.

7DnBrnc53 07-05-2012 06:44 AM

I agree with Favre and Elway at 1 and 2, but I would have Marino at 3, and Moon at 4, then Young at 5.

MaxV 07-05-2012 08:52 AM

I know that this will spark the "Rings vs. Stats" argument again, but Aikman was NOT a better QB then Marino.

tjsunstein 07-05-2012 09:30 AM

The only way I can describe Favre is 'one crazy asshole'.

The Alex 07-05-2012 12:42 PM

My list:

10. Vinny Testaverde
9. Drew Bledsoe
8. Randall Cunningham
7. Jim Kelly
6. Troy Aikman
5. Warren Moon
4. Dan Marino
3. John Elway
2. Brett Favre
1. Steve Young

I have no idea what drugs they were on when they decided to include Jeff George.

bigbluedefense 07-05-2012 12:48 PM

I think Kelly should have been higher than 6. I don't disagree with Favre at 1 though.

WCH 07-05-2012 05:51 PM

I was a pretty big fan of Erik Kramer and Chris Chandler, when they were healthy. Either of those guys could probably take the last Top-10 spot and I wouldn't complain.

TheFinisher 07-05-2012 06:09 PM

Aikman was pretty easily the best big game QB of the 90's, so I guess it depends on how much you value that aspect. Also, I still don't get how Aikman gets criticized for winning with Emmitt Smith but John Elway gets a pass even though he was in his late 30s and had a dominant Terrell Davis to get him his rings.

Aikman's career SB rating: 111.9

Elways career SB rating: 59.3

Ness 07-05-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFinisher (Post 3049747)
Aikman was pretty easily the best big game QB of the 90's, so I guess it depends on how much you value that aspect. Also, I still don't get how Aikman gets criticized for winning with Emmitt Smith but John Elway gets a pass even though he was in his late 30s and had a dominant Terrell Davis to get him his rings.

Aikman's career SB rating: 111.9

Elways career SB rating: 59.3

Probably because Aikman's season to season numbers didn't blow people away. That is what I'm guessing anyways.

Sitting back and thinking about it I might have Favre as number one after all. Even though he made some dumb decisions when throwing the football, he got a Super Bowl win with an offensive cast that most people now and days have trouble remembering except for Sterling Sharpe who retired after the 1994 season. He was also quite durable. And their rushing offense wasn't that great throughout the decade.

I also feel inclined to replace Jeff George with Mark Brunell. Even though he only played half the decade. From 1996 to 1999 the Jaguars made the playoffs four straight times advancing to the AFC Championship game twice. That is more than Jeff George did in a decade.

ViperVisor 07-05-2012 07:25 PM

Aaron Schatz got it right.
Quote:

How many QBs had a season passer rating of 100 or better during the 1990s?
Kurt Warner, Randall Cunningham, Vinny Testaverde, Chris Chandler, Jim Harbaugh, and Jim Kelly all had a passer rating of more than 100 once.
Steve Young had a QB rating over 100 five times.

Bulldogs 07-05-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperVisor (Post 3049816)
Aaron Schatz got it right.

QB rating is an incredibly overrated stat. Not trying to discredit Steve Young because I still believe he was top three of that decade.

BigBanger 07-05-2012 08:21 PM

Steve Young was the best in my eyes. One of my favorite QBs ever. Elway would be #2 and Favre #3. Jim Kelly was probably a better QB than Aikman too. Aikman was a winning QB fortunante enough to have the surrounding players he did. Similar to Bradshaw. A great compliment to the team. Not great players who made their teammates better.

1. Young
2. Elway
3. Favre
4. Marino
5. Kelly
6. Aikman
7. Moon

I'm too lazy to check, but if I remember correctly, Aikman had (1) season with 20+ TD passes. I've talked about it before with Michael Irvin's low TD numbers and how Irvin usually had half, or close to half, of Aikman's TD passes.

WCH 07-05-2012 09:02 PM

Regarding my earlier comment about crazy-ass passes that Favre would complete, if you watch that video at about the 2:08 mark, Favre completed the best throw I think I've ever seen. It was to Mark Ingram Sr., and he fired it into a window that was only barely big enough to fit a football through. That video doesn't have the best angle, but I remember watching that game live, and I lost my **** when I saw that pass.

Jim McMahon, of all people, was the backup in GB that year. He said "I saw the coverage and said, `He's not going to get that in there,'"

That wasn't a fluke pass either. It was Favre's norm for a few years in the 90's.

FUNBUNCHER 07-06-2012 12:53 AM

Elway for most of his early career was a great 4th quarter QB, he was inconsistent throughout most of the game IMO. Except for being a better pure passer(obviously) than Tebow, I always saw similarities in their games between Elway and Tebow because of their ability to elevate their play late in a contest.

Aikman is always too 'high' on most QB lists, but I don't think the Dallas QB situation was a plug-and-play type deal where any halfway decent QB would have won quarterkbacking the Cowboys during their SB run.

It's counterintuitive to think, but there's a unique degree of difficulty to win it all when you're on a talented football team.
Steve Young knows this and IMO should have at least 3-4 more rings, based on the talent he played with in SF. But too often he didn't play his absolute best in the playoffs against top caliber competition.

Aikman did.

Outside of Irvin, Aikman made an average cast of WRs look great in the playoffs.

Going into the playoffs I don't know if there's any QB I'd want more than Aikman in his prime.
Favre under Holmgren was unreal.
Marino in the 1980s was better than Marino in the 1990s, however both were great decades for him.

Halsey 07-06-2012 03:06 AM

Favre became a starter in 1992 and started every game for the rest of the decade, playing at a very high level. No other QB combined his overall body of work. Young, Elway and Aikman all went through down periods in the mid to late 90s due to health/age issues.

Ness 07-06-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsey (Post 3050235)
Favre became a starter in 1992 and started every game for the rest of the decade, playing at a very high level. No other QB combined his overall body of work. Young, Elway and Aikman all went through down periods in the mid to late 90s due to health/age issues.

Other than 1999, when Steve took one too many hits and retired three games in, he didn't go through a down period. He missed a few games here and there in the seasons leading up to that, but he was a top quarterback up until the point he called it quits. Just saying. Favre also went through some growing pains his first couple of seasons as a starter. I'd still give the nod to him because of his durability though.

someone447 07-06-2012 01:58 PM

Although I would put Elway above Favre on the list of greatest QBs of all time, I would put Favre ahead of Elway for QB of the 90s. He was the first person to win back to back to back MVPs and he deserved every one of them.
1)Favre
2)Elway
3)Young
4)Marino
5)Aikman
6)Moon
7)Kelly
8)Bledsoe
9)Cunningham
10)Testeverde

Ghost of Juice 07-06-2012 02:26 PM

I cant argue with Favre being number 1. I think Mark Brunell deserves some love. He took an expansion team and led them to the playoffs 4 years in a row to end the 90's.

TheFinisher 07-06-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 3050020)
you can always tell who was born in the 90s by posts they make about games in the 90s.

*shrugs*

So you're saying Terrell Davis didn't carry John Elway to those SB wins? In the 97 SB Elway was 12-22 for 123 yards and an INT, and only topped 220 yards passing once in that post-season with a 223 yard game in the Wild Card Round. In the 98 AFCCG against the Jets he went a measly 13-34 for 173.

TD in those same post season runs?

97 Post-season: 581 Yards for 5.2 a clip and 8 TDs, including a 157 yard 3 TD effort in the SB.

98 Post-season: 468 Yards for 6.0 a clip and 3 TDs in 3 games, after running for 2,000 yards and 21 TDs in the regular season.

So.... yea.

and just to further back my case for Aikman being the better big game QB in the 90s... in his 3 SB runs he played in 9 post-season games, and had a QB rating over 100 in 8 of them.

ChiFan24 07-06-2012 11:17 PM

1995 Jim Harbaugh >>> Jeff George.

Brodeur 07-07-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3049261)
Video list.

Or if you are lazy:

10. Randall Cunningham
9. Jeff George
8. Drew Bledsoe
7. Warren Moon
6. Jim Kelly
5. Dan Marino
4. Steve Young
3. Troy Aikman

2. John Elway
1. Brett Favre

Personally I don't think Favre should be first. I think it should be Elway followed by Favre and then Steve Young. And Jeff George ahead of Randall Cunningham? I think George should be last.

TheFinisher 07-07-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 3051025)
i'm saying that suggesting it was entirely terrell davis is not only incorrect, it's utterly lazy.

so yeah, watch the games. trying to discuss those two seasons against his entire career previous by box scores is idiotic.

And it's lazy to write off Aikman as a glorified game manager, because that's what I originally responded to in this thread.

I'm not talking about Elway's entire career, and never was, I was strictly using him as an example of someone who doesn't face the discredit Aikman does about his SB rings... even though when you look at what they did in those post-seasons it's fairly obvious Aikman was playing at a higher level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 3051025)
cool story, bro. how many times, specifically, was he trying to come back from a 45 point deficit because his defense imploded? how many 32 point deficits did he have to try to make up because he was the only good player on offense? how many other things should i mention before you realize that you shouldn't try to argue things you don't actually know anything about?

I think you missed the point, 97 and 98 (which are the seasons we're talking about) it was no contest that Terrell Davis was THE guy on Denver's offense. Hence the parallels I drew between TD and Emmitt.

It's cool though, I'll be expecting another response that consists of mostly "watch the games, not the box score bro".

Ness 07-07-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFinisher (Post 3051044)
It's cool though, I'll be expecting another response that consists of mostly "watch the games, not the box score bro".

LOL hilarious.