Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Matt Forte Signs Extension (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53400)

Hines 07-16-2012 12:42 PM

Matt Forte Signs Extension

https://twitter.com/seankjensen/stat...05412858740738

4 years. I don't know the amount yet, though.

Matthew Jones 07-16-2012 12:44 PM

Adam Schefter reporting that it averages about $8 million per year.

bigbluedefense 07-16-2012 12:46 PM

I expected that. He's worth the deal.

Hines 07-16-2012 12:47 PM

Yup, the deal looks to be at 8 million per year.

BeerBaron 07-16-2012 12:50 PM

I'm...meh. It's good to have him back but I have such disdain for giving big money deals to RBs. I give him no more than 2 years until he's turning sharply downhill.

49erNation85 07-16-2012 12:52 PM

Good for him. he is a solid HB and great player.

vidae 07-16-2012 12:54 PM

Argh. First Brees and now Forte? Come on, get Bowe locked up! :(

jrdrylie 07-16-2012 12:55 PM

I don't like giving big money to backs but this deal doesn't seem to be too exspensive so I'm fine with it.

Giantsfan1080 07-16-2012 01:08 PM

Gives Rice and Co. a framework for his deal also.

Hines 07-16-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 3058514)
Gives Rice and Co. a framework for his deal also.

I think Rice gets a longer deal with more money.

A Perfect Score 07-16-2012 01:46 PM

Gah, sign Rice already. Nobody cares about Forte!

If Rice signs a 4 year, 32 million dollar deal I'd feel pretty good about it though.

Ness 07-16-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3058487)
I'm...meh. It's good to have him back but I have such disdain for giving big money deals to RBs. I give him no more than 2 years until he's turning sharply downhill.

Don't feel too bad it's not your money.

BeerBaron 07-16-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3058566)
Don't feel too bad it's not your money.

Irrelevant. It's the team I follow and they only have so much to spend on their players. I'd rather it be put to better use on other players but whatever. Having Forte for the few years before he breaks down won't be the worst thing ever.

LonghornsLegend 07-16-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3058571)
Irrelevant. It's the team I follow and they only have so much to spend on their players. I'd rather it be put to better use on other players but whatever. Having Forte for the few years before he breaks down won't be the worst thing ever.

I feel your pain. Bush at RB wouldn't be the reason that the team didn't make the SB, though Forte does make you better I find it highly unlikely he finishes this deal out playing at the same level, but at least it's not 5 years. Maybe you guys plan to utilize more of a 2 back system, which IMO might be the best thing if you want to keep Forte fresh for the entire deal. His workload he was getting prior would make me nervous to continue that route for a few more seasons.

Now let's see how quick it takes some of these skill position athletes before they get into TC and pull a hammy, then return back too quick and strain it even worse.

Monomach 07-16-2012 03:51 PM

4 years, 32 million, 18 million guaranteed.

Not a happy camper with this. I much preferred that money going to Cutler or some free agent O linemen.

BeerBaron 07-16-2012 03:52 PM

More than half the contract guaranteed...ugh. Hopefully he holds up well over 4 years.

iowatreat54 07-16-2012 04:05 PM

Well, on the plus side it's not the $21-22M guaranteed he was asking for. I think $18M is reasonable given what contracts are today. Am I happy with how contracts are in general or the fact that because D'Angelo Williams got a ridiculous contract means every RB will think they deserve that or more? No, but it is what it is.

Overall, I'm pretty happy in the pants that this got done. If only we ever address our terrible OL, but as every Bears fan knows, our OL will never be improved via draft or FA acquisition of a decent player not at the end of their career.

bearsfan_51 07-16-2012 04:32 PM

It's a totally reasonable contract. I wasn't a fan of giving him much guaranteed money, but anything under 20 mil is fine.

Also, on the "giving money to Cutler" front, Cutler already makes more than Forte just got, and this will in no way prevent the Bears from locking him up. Financially, it's a very solid organization.

bearsfan_51 07-16-2012 04:35 PM

Like treat said, this is less than Deangelo Williams got, and the almost exact same amount that Marshawn Lynch got. There's no way in hell that Forte isn't a better investment/player than those two.

Not saying that two wrongs make a right, but it should put it in perspective.

bigbluedefense 07-16-2012 04:39 PM

Look at it this way, by the time Forte breaks down, the Bears are gonna have to rebuild anyway. This current group of Bears has 2 to 3 years left in the tank anyway.

Might as well keep all your horses and go for the gold in the next 2 to 3 years that you have left with this core.

bearsfan_51 07-16-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3058757)
Look at it this way, by the time Forte breaks down, the Bears are gonna have to rebuild anyway. This current group of Bears has 2 to 3 years left in the tank anyway.

Might as well keep all your horses and go for the gold in the next 2 to 3 years that you have left with this core.

This is also likely true unless the new GM is a wizard.

niel89 07-16-2012 05:46 PM

He's 26 now so when he gets near the end of this deal he'll be 30 and he can go fall apart somewhere else. Its decent deal to keep him and actually have him show up this year.

regoob2 07-17-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3058487)

That's kind of how I feel as well. We have a lot of money tied up in the RB position with him and Bush. I'm happy we resigned him though. We have a real good RB duo now.

bearsfan_51 07-17-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regoob2 (Post 3059713)
That's kind of how I feel as well. We have a lot of money tied up in the RB position with him and Bush. I'm happy we resigned him though. We have a real good RB duo now.

We had just as much money tied up with him with the franchise tag. It was either do the deal or let him walk next year. This isn't a huge commitment, so I'm fine with it.

There are still five players who carry a larger cap charge than Forte (Peppers, Cutler, Marshall, Urlacher, Hester).

BigBanger 07-18-2012 11:15 AM

This is a great deal. Bears fans should be happy. He's half of their offense and one of the best players on that team. I guess people are complaining about this because of the position he plays. RB is still an important position, believe it or not, and retaining a great RB should be a priority. He's just entering the prime of his career. Forte is one of my favorite RBs in the NFL so may be I'm a bit biased. But I think he's every bit of a Top 5 RB. He's earned this. I think he deserves it.

If I'm running the Bears organization, I have no problem paying the guy. Without him, what do you exactly have on offense? To do what he's done behind a terrible offensive line, and be one of the best receiving options on a team that's had no WRs... He has been a workhorse. A duel threat and a great player that makes your team better. It would be senseless to not extend his contract as soon as you bring in a legit #1 WR like Marshall. I'd like to see what Cutler can do with some talent around him. It's been a rarity to see throughout his career.