Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Giants Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   2014 Giants Draft Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53439)

Giantsfan1080 07-23-2012 01:28 PM

2014 Giants Draft Thread

I think it's about time for this.

Rutgers players to keep an eye on this year:

CB Logan Ryan
OLB Khaseem Greene
S Duron Harmon
CB Brandon Jones
WR Mark Harrison
ILB Steve Beauharnais
LONGSHOT WR Brandon Coleman

Giantsfan1080 07-25-2012 10:58 AM

Positions that we might be interested in at this time?

OL
DB
WR
LB

Forenci 07-25-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 3067921)
Positions that we might be interested in at this time?

OL
DB
WR
LB

O-Line, O-Line, O-Line.

Even if Beatty and Baas do play well, Diehl and Snee aren't getting any younger. I hope Baas and Beatty do well. It'd allow us to (assuming we'll be picking somewhat later in the draft) to take one of those blue chip guards that will fall in the draft because the position isn't valued highly early in the rounds.

Rosebud 07-25-2012 02:36 PM

OL - Unless the world goes crazy this'll be our biggest weakness, even though Eli will hide the pass blocking problems.
DL - Gonna need a new DE to groom if the plan isn't to move Kiwi back once Osi's gone, even then Tuck's getting older so adding another high upside but raw DE into the pipeline wouldn't be unwise. DT is still a question mark to.
LB - Need a stud mike, otherwise I like our depth outside
DB - A lot of question marks about who'll still be here in 3 years, so adding another talent to the defensive backfield is probably not a bad call.

scottyboy 07-25-2012 07:52 PM

Steve Beauharnis is such an awesome thumping LB, but would probably fit best in the middle of a 3-4.

Logan Ryan is the next studly Rutgers corner, but with Webster, Prince and TT, I doubt corner is an early priority. Who're the top OT prospects? Oline, I feel we all agree, should be our #1 concern going into next offseason

BigBlueNorwegian 07-25-2012 08:31 PM

I want us to focus on the trenches as it stands today. But who knows what we'll end up with come April. Either way I trust Jerry Reese and Marc Ross. They are awesome at drafting and scouting.

BigBlueNorwegian 09-10-2012 06:48 PM

If the opportunity presented itself this upcoming draft, I want us to trade up big and get a blue-chip left tackle. I think our roster is pretty stacked with talent all over as it stands right now. We have enough talent at every position other than CB and OL in my opinion. And good CBs can be had in the later rounds.

So what do you think? Say if we pick in the mid-twenties or something like that, and we get an opportunity to trade into the top 10 to get our LT for the future. Do we go for it, knowing it will probably cost us our 1st, 2nd and probably a late rounder as well?

I think we should, if the right guy is available. We have to get better blocking up front. Both for the benefit of the running game, and to protect Eli, as he's going into his mid-thirties.

scottyboy 09-10-2012 07:03 PM

LOGAN RYAN LOGAN RYAN LOGAN RYAN

or Khaseem to eventually replace Boley and Rivers. God that'd be sex.

but yeah, a nice blue chip OL guy would be awesome.

Round 1: Stud OT
Round 2: Corner
Round 3: Khaseem.

perfection

D-Unit 09-10-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3068048)
OL - Unless the world goes crazy this'll be our biggest weakness, even though Eli will hide the pass blocking problems.
DL - Gonna need a new DE to groom if the plan isn't to move Kiwi back once Osi's gone, even then Tuck's getting older so adding another high upside but raw DE into the pipeline wouldn't be unwise. DT is still a question mark to.
LB - Need a stud mike, otherwise I like our depth outside
DB - A lot of question marks about who'll still be here in 3 years, so adding another talent to the defensive backfield is probably not a bad call.

Would you guys target Anthony Spencer in FA?

scottyboy 09-10-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3112595)
Would you guys target Anthony Spencer in FA?

I doubt it. We're tight on cash as it is. We like Tracy and Ojomo enough to keep both on the 53 (5 DE's), will have Tuck and JPP and ever reliable Kiwi could move back there (if we bring him back too).

Maybe on a cheap Martellus type of deal, but I think we draft one round 4 or something to bring in for Tuck's insurance

Giantsfan1080 09-10-2012 09:23 PM

3rd round does sound right for Greene about now.

As of now I'd be fine with any position in the 1st.

NY+Giants=NYG 10-06-2012 12:41 PM

I always love the draft but I got to admit the FA signings and re-signings interest me more. Where do we invest? Who is a long term guy and who won't fit the long term model?

scottyboy 10-07-2012 12:08 PM

i want that matt elam kid, good lord he's a baller at safety for Florida

bigbluedefense 11-15-2012 03:11 PM

Well, now that we're more than halfway through the season, I think it's time to identify needs:

On offense, we need:

OG
RT

That's pretty much it. I think we should re-sign Bennett. I think WR is not a need bc Randle steps up in year 2. I also expect us to re-sign both Cruz and Nicks so no worries there. RB is not a need, we have Brown and Wilson for the future. Beatty has surprisingly stepped up at LT and that is not a need at the moment. And we obviously don't need a qb.

Defense:

DT
DE
MIKE
SAM
CB
Possibly S

So long story short, we need a lot of defensive talent. We have NO DTs. Joseph is the only one, and we might lose him. Canty will be a cap casualty. Bernard is old and sucks. Austin sucks. Kuhn is meh. We literally have no DTs at all. Major concern.

With Osi most likely walking away, Tuck being a shell of his former self (I strongly believe we should not re-sign him), and Kiwi coming back to the DL in all likelihood, we could use another DE in our rotation. I like Tracy and Ojomo, but we do not know enough about them to rely on them.

Our linebackers suck. Let's be brutally honest about it. All that great "depth" we raved about in the offseason, it sucks. Herzlich is a backup. Rivers is never healthy and likely gone. Boley is strictly a coverage LB. The only good young LB we have is Jacquan Williams. Paysinger is a solid backup, that's it.

We NEED LINEBACKERS. I've been saying it all season, we are a terrible tackling defense. That starts with the LB core. We need linebackers who can tackle, and shed blocks. We don't have any right now. WE NEED LINEBACKERS.

We also need a CB. Corey is done. I believe in Prince and Hosely, but we need another guy on the outside to groom as Corey's replacement. If we lose Kenny, we need a safety.

AcheTen (Thumper) 11-15-2012 03:24 PM

If you start going down the road of "WE NEED POSITION X", and start drafting for need, you become a mediocre team.

As bad as the "need" for LBers may look, it would be foolish to draft one in the 1st or 2nd round just to fill a purported "need".

If Jerry Reese is smart, he will go BPA on OL or DL or DB or WR in the first round. LB is one of the least important positions on the 4-3 defense and capable players can always be found in free agency or in the later rounds of the draft.

If Manti Teo was sitting there when the Giants picked in the 1st round, honestly, if I were Reese I would actually pick someone like Jarvis Jones or Damontre Moore or Jonathan Hankins over him.

bigbluedefense 11-15-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcheTen (Post 3182877)
If you start going down the road of "WE NEED POSITION X", and start drafting for need, you become a mediocre team.

As bad as the "need" for LBers may look, it would be foolish to draft one in the 1st or 2nd round just to fill a purported "need".

If Jerry Reese is smart, he will go BPA on OL or DL or DB or WR in the first round. LB is one of the least important positions on the 4-3 defense and capable players can always be found in free agency or in the later rounds of the draft.

I agree, I don't agree with filling needs at all costs. I believe in the board. But look at that list. We have a lot of needs. Realistically, the highest graded player on our board could very well fill any 1 of those needs listed.

If the best guy on the board is a Guard, I'm fine with it. We need a guard. If it's a CB, cool, we need a CB. A DE, I'm fine with that. A DT, etc.

In a perfect world we get a linebacker who is the highest graded player on our board, but I do believe in sticking to our board.

Rosebud 11-15-2012 03:27 PM

So do we have no DTs or is Joseph the only one?...

Giantsfan1080 11-15-2012 03:28 PM

Sounds about right BBD. Can't really disagree with anything you said in that post.

Giantsfan1080 11-15-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3182881)

As far as I'm concerned Joseph really is the only one.

bigbluedefense 11-15-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3182881)

Joseph is the only one. My concern is we might lose him to FA which would result in us having absolutely none left.

NY+Giants=NYG 11-15-2012 06:17 PM

Stick to our board. I am down for going offensive trench player in the first round if he is the highest rated player. I really hope so! Defensive players are a need, however, I feel like no matter who we get, they would stink in these scheme.

BigBlueNorwegian 11-16-2012 03:31 PM

We better find a way to re-sign Joseph, with the way our other DTs look. I really want that Bjoern Werner kid. He just looks like a typical Giants DE. Other than him, I don't really have any personal favorites yet, at least that is outside the top 10-15 picks, which I hope we won't be picking inside.

Malaka 11-16-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBlueNorwegian (Post 3183509)
We better find a way to re-sign Joseph, with the way our other DTs look. I really want that Bjoern Werner kid. He just looks like a typical Giants DE. Other than him, I don't really have any personal favorites yet, at least that is outside the top 10-15 picks, which I hope we won't be picking inside.

Werner might be exactly where we are picking so he's a definite possibility. I am not in love with FSU DEs although he is sort of a different breed.

NY+Giants=NYG 11-16-2012 06:49 PM

I don't want another DE. I hope we go another position. Maybe draft a defensive coordinator? I think whoever on defense we get the scheme will stink and expose peoples play.

OSUGiants17 11-16-2012 07:32 PM

I have a huge hard-on for Sheldon Williams the DT from Missouri. Just thought I'd share