Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Training Camp Superstars (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53549)

phlysac 08-08-2012 11:52 AM

Training Camp Superstars

Who were some of the players whom your team's beat-writers and fanbases swore would be great players based on their Training Camps and Preseasons, yet they never amounted to anything?

Some 49ers' Camp stars of recent years...

PJ Fleck
Marcus Maxwell
Thomas Clayton
Nate Davis
Kory Sheets

vidae 08-08-2012 11:59 AM

Dexter McCluster, every year. He always shows up to camp and seriously impresses everyone and he never does it in a game.

NY+Giants=NYG 08-08-2012 12:15 PM

Ramses Barden - Usually great camps, but does nothing in the regular season. Most of the time not even active, because he doesn't play special teams. But he does have good camps.

David Douglas

Will Hill

Victor Cruz

Jerrel Jernigan

Mark Herzlich

Jason Pierre-Paul - May be a the category below of "superstar" but having a damn good camp, stopping RBs for loses, padding down passes, and usually you read, great pass by Eli, however in a game, Eli would have been sacked by JPP. So JPP is taking the next step in his development.

killxswitch 08-08-2012 12:19 PM

Jerry Hughes seems to be that guy so far for the Colts this year. We'll see if it actually happens in a game this time.

Matthew Jones 08-08-2012 12:31 PM

Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Aaron Hernandez, Dont'a Hightower, Sterling Moore, and Tavon Wilson are getting a lot of hype in New England.

SuperMcGee 08-08-2012 12:59 PM

It's usually just some depth receiver that ends up not doing much. Lately, of course, it's been Shawne Merriman, who "feels great" every preseason and looks the part before everything gets real. We all know how that one ends.

Losman and Edwards also had some good camps. Woof.

Bulldogs 08-08-2012 01:00 PM

This year it's been mostly Julio Jones, sprinkled in with some Asante Samuel and Matt Ryan.

V.I.P 08-08-2012 01:14 PM

Doug Martin
Tiquan Underwood
Ahmad Black
Lavonte David
Gerald McCoy
Vincent Jackson

All are looking like stars in camp

Hurricanes25 08-08-2012 01:25 PM

David Clowney played very well in camp and preseason games when he was with the Jets. I thought he would make an impact but never did. I think he's currently with Buffalo.

Ron 08-08-2012 01:26 PM

Ramses Barden is the classic training camp superstar imo. Always gets tons of hype but the guy clearly will never produce on the field.

K Train 08-08-2012 02:29 PM

issac redman, i ******* hate him. evander hood too, they always shine in training camp and preseason and then go on to epitomize mediocrity in the regular season. Camp heros, but painfully average players

Don Vito 08-08-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3083274)
Dexter McCluster, every year. He always shows up to camp and seriously impresses everyone and he never does it in a game.

You just wait

Razor 08-08-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3083286)
Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Aaron Hernandez, Dont'a Hightower, Sterling Moore, and Tavon Wilson are getting a lot of hype in New England.

You left out Chandler Jones. CJ is getting a lot of hype these days.

Ness 08-08-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlysac (Post 3083264)
Who were some of the players whom your team's beat-writers and fanbases swore would be great players based on their Training Camps and Preseasons, yet they never amounted to anything?

Some 49ers' Camp stars of recent years...

PJ Fleck
Marcus Maxwell
Thomas Clayton
Nate Davis
Kory Sheets

Nate Davis...I still have hope for him.

Anyways, I'm praying that Nate Palmer doesn't become the next fraud to top this list.

RaiderDiehard 08-08-2012 03:04 PM

Kory Sheets is tearing up the CFL this season, if I recall correctly......

armageddon 08-08-2012 03:11 PM

These guys have been getting praised by the local media guys for the Rams

Jenoris Jenkins
Pead
Quinn (say he looks un blockable)
Quick
Givens
Brockers
Long
Bradford
Finnagen

RaiderDiehard 08-08-2012 03:14 PM

Quinn would strike me as somebody who would play better in camp. Could see him notch upwards of 12 sacks this year. Rare specimen.

Don Vito 08-08-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armageddon (Post 3083489)
These guys have been getting praised by the local media guys for the Rams

Jenoris Jenkins
Pead
Quinn (say he looks un blockable)
Quick
Givens
Brockers
Long
Bradford
Finnagen

Do the Rams have anyone who can block?

armageddon 08-08-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 3083495)
Do the Rams have anyone who can block?

I am hearing OT's Saffold and Smith are getting better each day. O-line coach Paul Boudreau is supposed to be one of the best. Heard it was mostly technique with Smith. Boudreau said Smith would try to demolish DE's instead of just blocking them. LT Saffold has gained 15 lbs of muscle in the off season and looks good so far. He's up to 325. If these 2 can stay healthy and put it together, the Rams will be in really good shape. Their D has the potential to be elite, especially their d-line and CB's. MLB Lariunitus is very good too.

Bixby (Thumper) 08-08-2012 03:29 PM

Some people made Lorenzo Booker sound like Barry Sanders a few years back.

armageddon 08-08-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderDiehard (Post 3083494)
Quinn would strike me as somebody who would play better in camp. Could see him notch upwards of 12 sacks this year. Rare specimen.

Here is my concern with Quinn. He is so fast off the edge and he gets so wide so fast, that teams can run right at his vacant spot. He creates a huge hole there.

TACKLE 08-08-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armageddon (Post 3083516)
I am hearing OT's Saffold and Smith are getting better each day. O-line coach Paul Boudreau is supposed to be one of the best. Heard it was mostly technique with Smith. Boudreau said Smith would try to demolish DE's instead of just blocking them. LT Saffold has gained 15 lbs of muscle in the off season and looks good so far. He's up to 325. If these 2 can stay healthy and put it together, the Rams will be in really good shape. Their D has the potential to be elite, especially their d-line and CB's. MLB Lariunitus is very good too.

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to react like an oversensitive 12 year old and start insulting his team because he said something that was critical of your team.

Don Vito 08-08-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3083617)
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to react like an oversensitive 12 year old and start insulting his team because he said something that was critical of your team.

Finally somebody with some sense

armageddon 08-08-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3083617)

Is this coming from that thread where I asked if the Pats had anybody who could cover ? Also, I can't say too much for anybody bashing the Rams as bad as they have sucked for so long, especially the o-line. But, I have a feeling people are going to be shocked how good the Rams are this year. They have lots of talent and finally real coaches.

Don Vito 08-08-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armageddon (Post 3083651)
Is this coming from that thread where I asked if the Pats had anybody who could cover ? Also, I can't say too much for anybody bashing the Rams as bad as they have sucked for so long, especially the o-line. But, I have a feeling people are going to be shocked how good the Rams are this year. They have lots of talent and finally real coaches.

Yes thats what it is from

But honestly there is a lot of talent on defense, the DL is loaded, Laurinaitis is solid but there probably are some questions around him, and the secondary is improved with the addition of Finnegan and this draft class. It will revolve around that DL, Long will be a beast and Quinn has the potential to be a terror. Add Brockers in the middle with Langford and that is a tough front 4. Fisher brought William Hayes over too he could be a decent rotational guy.

It comes down to Bradford and the offense. Jackson is a horse and Pead should lighten his workload, but it comes down to the OL and who Bradford is throwing to. Amendola is pretty good but Brian Quick is probably a project, but he has ability. Don't know what else there really is at receiver. If the line has improved as you said that would be big.

Bottom line is the team has more talent, Fisher will get them to play hard, and you are going to have some prime draft picks in the next couple of years. Things are looking pretty good