Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Has anyone attended grad school or is planning on applying? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53604)

Matthew Jones 08-20-2012 03:42 AM

Has anyone attended grad school or is planning on applying?
 
I'm thinking of applying to the University of Connecticut for a master's degree in Education but I have no idea what to expect. Has anyone been researching grad schools, or attended one?

jayceheathman 08-20-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3093916)
I'm thinking of applying to the University of Connecticut for a master's degree in Education but I have no idea what to expect. Has anyone been researching grad schools, or attended one?

I am about to graduate with my Master's in Agricultural Economics once I finish my thesis and have the defense. The only thing that sucks is that I could potentially be done in a few weeks but would have to wait until the end of the semester to get my diploma. For me, undergrad was easy but they take things a lot more seriously in grad school.

Rob S 08-20-2012 06:57 AM

I finished my MBA in May. It was pretty much 2 extra years of undergrad.

CJSchneider 08-20-2012 06:58 AM

I'm about to start a 20 month intensive curriculum Master's program from the University of Arkansas for my Master's in Educational Leadership. What area of education are you going for? Most states don't allow you to qualify for an administrative position with just a Master's in Education. They are making it mandatory that it be in Leadership or Supervision.

Brent 08-20-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob S (Post 3093940)
I finished my MBA in May. It was pretty much 2 extra years of undergrad.

I was thinking of pursuing an MBA. It'd give me a pay raise, and the chance to bail on education if I ever feel the need.

CJSchneider 08-20-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 3093946)
I was thinking of pursuing an MBA. It'd give me a pay raise, and the chance to bail on education if I ever feel the need.

Better check into that as well. Many states only increase teacher pay with a Master's degree if the Master's is in an education related field. Say you were to teach business, in the past they would pay you for having the MBA, but many states are squirming their way out of that as a way to cut pay-roll costs. Send a flying F-U to my state's new State Superintendent and his damn Ameri-Corps teachers.

Ron 08-20-2012 07:34 AM

Im gonna be applying to Law School in October.

SuperMcGee 08-20-2012 07:55 AM

I'm not in grad school, yet. But it's on the horizon. I anticipate it shattering everything I ever loved about college.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 3093954)
Im gonna be applying to Law School in October.

Looking to prosecute those who get in too many bad moods?

jrdrylie 08-20-2012 07:59 AM

I graduated with my MBA about two years ago. It was pretty easy (probably easier than undergrad). I can't speak for how difficult a Masters in Education would be though.

Caddy 08-20-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperMcgee (Post 3093956)
I'm not in grad school, yet. But it's on the horizon. I anticipate it shattering everything I ever loved about college.



Looking to prosecute those who get in too many bad moods?

I'm nearly a qualified lawyer. If any of you set foot in Australia without my permission, expect to be prosecuted.

Rob S 08-20-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 3093959)
I'm nearly a qualified lawyer. If any of you set foot in Australia without my permission, expect to be prosecuted.

Are you going to push for a booting? Damn Australian heathens.

Caddy 08-20-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob S (Post 3093967)
Are you going to push for a booting? Damn Australian heathens.

Little known fact, when Australia was deciding what flag it should have, it was between the current one and the one below.


Matthew Jones 08-20-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3093941)
I'm about to start a 20 month intensive curriculum Master's program from the University of Arkansas for my Master's in Educational Leadership. What area of education are you going for? Most states don't allow you to qualify for an administrative position with just a Master's in Education. They are making it mandatory that it be in Leadership or Supervision.

This is the exact program I was thinking of applying to:

http://www.education.uconn.edu/depar...ered/TCPCG.cfm

However, I still need to take the Praxis II and have yet to graduate (December), so I'm not sure I'll make the deadline this year. I'm not sure if I ever want to become a principal or anything like that.

thefalconer 08-20-2012 09:21 AM

for those of you who went to grad school or are in it now, did you guys enroll right after undergrad or did you take time off and work?

Matthew Jones 08-20-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefalconer (Post 3093994)
for those of you who went to grad school or are in it now, did you guys enroll right after undergrad or did you take time off and work?

I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. I kind of get the feeling that waiting too long makes it hard to finish your education later though. Keep in mind that you're going to need recommendations, etc.

CJSchneider 08-20-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3093995)
I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. I kind of get the feeling that waiting too long makes it hard to finish your education later though. Keep in mind that you're going to need recommendations, etc.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have started grad school right after I finished my under-grad. I know in the education field, however, people who do this and think they are going to jump through the ranks quickly often find themselves misinformed. I could tell several funny anecdotes about my experience with this. Alas, if you are going to do it, go for it; get your masters ASAP. Be prepared to do crappy duty your first year like the rest of the first year teachers though.

jrdrylie 08-20-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefalconer (Post 3093994)
for those of you who went to grad school or are in it now, did you guys enroll right after undergrad or did you take time off and work?

I graduated from college December 2008. At that time, I was in the beginning process of applying for a job where the first year would be strictly me getting my MBA and the job started in July 2009. I interviewed in April, but as a fallback plan, I applied for a fastrack MBA program at UCF which would have started in May 2009. On the day I started the program, I got a call saying I got the job for which I interviewed, so I dropped out of the UCF program and went with the program where my MBA was paid for and I got paid $38K to go to school for a year.

tl/dr I started my Master's six months after graduating with my bachelors.

Razor 08-20-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 3093959)
I'm nearly a qualified lawyer. If any of you set foot in Australia without my permission, expect to be prosecuted.

I'll be landing in Sydney on september 16th. I'm expecting a chauffeur and hot surfer chicks to greet me.

A Perfect Score 08-20-2012 10:17 AM

I start my Masters in...2 weeks?

bearsfan_51 08-20-2012 11:12 AM

I'm a college prof, but I'm not sure I can really answer anything about a masters program in education.

As a general rule, I think it's a good idea to complete all of your education in your 20s. Your earning power isn't going to be that great anyway, so it's best to use those years to build up your resume.

That said, I think it's often advisable to wait a few years after high school to go to college, if only because so many people go to college because they feel like they have to, and then they **** around too much because they don't really have the desire to learn anything.

The_Dude 08-20-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3093947)
Better check into that as well. Many states only increase teacher pay with a Master's degree if the Master's is in an education related field. Say you were to teach business, in the past they would pay you for having the MBA, but many states are squirming their way out of that as a way to cut pay-roll costs. Send a flying F-U to my state's new State Superintendent and his damn Ameri-Corps teachers.

Listen to this man. Many districts are restricting what graduate level classes/degrees will equal movement on the pay scale. At the same time, state legislatures (at least in MN) are trying hard to make it easier for someone to get a teaching position with a minimal background in education.

Brent 08-20-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3093947)
Better check into that as well. Many states only increase teacher pay with a Master's degree if the Master's is in an education related field. Say you were to teach business, in the past they would pay you for having the MBA, but many states are squirming their way out of that as a way to cut pay-roll costs. Send a flying F-U to my state's new State Superintendent and his damn Ameri-Corps teachers.

Well, I haven't done anything about it yet. I think I am still up in the air about teaching, to be honest. Love my job, but part of me would like to try something else. If I do stay in teaching, I'll just end up doing one of the Education master's programs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 3094109)
Listen to this man. Many districts are restricting what graduate level classes/degrees will equal movement on the pay scale. At the same time, state legislatures (at least in MN) are trying hard to make it easier for someone to get a teaching position with a minimal background in education.

I am aware of that. An MBA would, I think, allow me to change to a "normal" job a hell of a lot easier than a BA in English.

scottyboy 08-20-2012 05:03 PM

i'm starting some grad school courses in education this year (my senior year) part of a 5 year masters education program

Rob S 08-20-2012 05:04 PM

I did my MBA right after undergrad. Only did it because it was free though. No way would I have paid.

derza222 08-20-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 3094101)
I'm a college prof, but I'm not sure I can really answer anything about a masters program in education.

As a general rule, I think it's a good idea to complete all of your education in your 20s. Your earning power isn't going to be that great anyway, so it's best to use those years to build up your resume.

That said, I think it's often advisable to wait a few years after high school to go to college, if only because so many people go to college because they feel like they have to, and then they **** around too much because they don't really have the desire to learn anything.

How is being a college prof? I came out of college (a year ago) thinking that was likely what I wanted to do, but decided I'd try working outside of academia first to see if I'd like it at all since it would kind of be hard to backtrack. At this point nothing's really changed since I don't like my job at all and I still think I'd like to be a professor, but I'm also somewhat intimidated by the thought of going after a Ph.D.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.