Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Roster Cut Down Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53619)

BeerBaron 08-23-2012 09:43 AM

Roster Cut Down Thread

I thought it might be easier to keep track of each teams upcoming roster cut downs in a thread here.

Teams must be down to 80 players on Tuesday, August 28. Then, the final cuts to get down to 53 will happen on Friday, August 31.

And as always, expect some surprises in the mix.

For instance, the Packers may end up cutting Graham Harrell and James Starks:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-green-bay/

And the Broncos may end up cutting two recent free agent acquisitions in Jim Leonard and Keith Brooking, both of whom have been unable to play this preseason due to injury:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-and-brooking/

So if you want to make some surprise cut predictions, now is the time.

CUTS TRACKER:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...oster-tracker/

Bixby (Thumper) 08-23-2012 09:49 AM

The most notable cut the Eagles are expected to make is Antonio Dixon. Joselio Hanson was benched against the Patriots last week so he might be gone. And some speculate Darryl Tapp will be handed his walking papers but I highly doubt that.

phlysac 08-23-2012 10:22 AM

Not confident any 49ers' cut will be 'surprises.' Two names that might fulfill that category...

Josh Johnson
Leonard Davis

But it's very possible both make the 53 as well.

Matthew Jones 08-23-2012 10:44 AM

Here's my latest Patriots roster projection:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...ap-impact.html

Razor 08-23-2012 12:55 PM

Before TC I would've said Woodhead, but it looks like he's going to be around this year. Dan Koppen might be the closest thing that the Patriots have to offer in the surprise cut department, but he might stick just because of his experience with Tom Brady.

BeerBaron 08-23-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 3096332)
Before TC I would've said Woodhead, but it looks like he's going to be around this year. Dan Koppen might be the closest thing that the Patriots have to offer in the surprise cut department, but he might stick just because of his experience with Tom Brady.

Something has just been off about him since he exploded in his first year as a Pat. He was disappointing last year and the team seemed to get away from him even when it would benefit them to have a good pass catching back in the game.

K Train 08-23-2012 12:57 PM

Guys im rooting for: Al Woods, Ryan Lee, Chris Rainey, Adrian Robinson, Jerrod Johnson, Curtis Brown

Guys im rooting against: Issac Redman (i know, hes a lock), Jason Worilds, Casey Hampton, Baron Batch, Charlie Batch, Ryan Clark, Keenan Lewis

BeerBaron 08-23-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 3096337)
Guys im rooting for: Al Woods, Ryan Lee, Chris Rainey, Adrian Robinson, Jerrod Johnson, Curtis Brown

Guys im rooting against: Issac Redman (i know, hes a lock), Jason Worilds, Casey Hampton, Baron Batch, Charlie Batch, Ryan Clark, Keenan Lewis

I don't think the Steelers can afford to cut any healthy running backs...

Matthew Jones 08-23-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3096335)
Something has just been off about him since he exploded in his first year as a Pat. He was disappointing last year and the team seemed to get away from him even when it would benefit them to have a good pass catching back in the game.

Woodhead looked fine last year, he just didn't have a major role in the offense after the team drafted Stevan Ridley and to a lesser extent Shane Vereen.

K Train 08-23-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3096338)
I don't think the Steelers can afford to cut any healthy running backs...

yeah, i would never expect redman to be cut although news of his hip problem lingering excites me for dwyer.

Baron Batch really isnt worth keeping. Hes a hell of a blogger, and has a hell of a story, but he is just a guy on the field

WCH 08-23-2012 05:30 PM

This prediction won't shock anybody on here, but it does go against what most Packer fans were thinking all offseason: Green Bay will only keep five WRs (Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Driver). There's won't be a sixth WR; everybody else is getting cut.

tjsunstein 08-23-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCH (Post 3096577)
This prediction won't shock anybody on here, but it does go against what most Packer fans were thinking all offseason: Green Bay will only keep five WRs (Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Driver). There's won't be a sixth WR; everybody else is getting cut.

No one has stuck out. We had potential going in to carry a 6th, Dale Moss (the freak athlete basketball player), Boykin, and Borel but none would add anything that we don't already have and we need to carry a player elsewhere with depth/injury concerns.

WCH 08-23-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsunstein (Post 3096583)
No one has stuck out. We had potential going in to carry a 6th, Dale Moss (the freak athlete basketball player), Boykin, and Borel but none would add anything that we don't already have and we need to carry a player elsewhere with depth/injury concerns.

If one of them had stood above the rest then it'd be different. My guess is that Moss and Boykin make the PS, Gurley and Borel catch on with other teams because of mid-season injuries.

diabsoule 08-23-2012 05:57 PM

The Bears have cut RB Kahlil Bell

PackerLegend 08-23-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3096180)
I thought it might be easier to keep track of each teams upcoming roster cut downs in a thread here.

Teams must be down to 80 players on Tuesday, August 28. Then, the final cuts to get down to 53 will happen on Friday, August 31.

And as always, expect some surprises in the mix.

For instance, the Packers may end up cutting Graham Harrell and James Starks:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-green-bay/

And the Broncos may end up cutting two recent free agent acquisitions in Jim Leonard and Keith Brooking, both of whom have been unable to play this preseason due to injury:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-and-brooking/

So if you want to make some surprise cut predictions, now is the time.

Not like a big deal but the exact time of first cutdowns is Monday at 3pm not Tues.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pack only kept 5 WRs as well. The other guys haven't stood out.

BeerBaron 08-23-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 3096591)
The Bears have cut RB Kahlil Bell

He was an adequate all around backup RB but nothing special. He refused to take a pay cut to stay this year, so he's gone. I think the Steelers should take a look at him.

I'm rooting for Lorenzo Booker to get our 3rd RB job. It's gotta be a guy who can contribute on special teams and he certainly can.

BeerBaron 08-23-2012 06:22 PM

They said on ESPN (I'm ashamed for watching it) a few minutes ago that the Cardinals could be in the market for a veteran backup QB depending on who all gets cut next week. I wonder if they're thinking of cutting ties with Kolb this year. He'll only be making $1 million this year but just getting that bad taste out of their mouths might be worth it.

WCH 08-23-2012 06:28 PM

Arizona would be a much more appealing landing spot than Green Bay -- at least for guys like McCoy and T-Jack who presumably still feel like they can start.

FUNBUNCHER 08-23-2012 08:28 PM

Be prepared to see the SKins cut TE Chris Cooley, injuries and salary cap considerations, and mighty mite Brandon Banks. Shanny doesn't want to keep a guy who can only return kicks and can't contribute at WR.

redbills 08-24-2012 10:45 AM

If we don't cut Choice I'll punch Chan in the nut sack.

Razor 08-24-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3096614)
They said on ESPN (I'm ashamed for watching it) a few minutes ago that the Cardinals could be in the market for a veteran backup QB depending on who all gets cut next week. I wonder if they're thinking of cutting ties with Kolb this year. He'll only be making $1 million this year but just getting that bad taste out of their mouths might be worth it.

Go get Hoyer. Do it!

A Perfect Score 08-24-2012 11:06 AM

The Cards got fleeced so hard in the Kolb trade. What an awful, awful deal.

BeerBaron 08-24-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 3097364)
Go get Hoyer. Do it!

That could be too close to a Kolb 2.0 situation. Trading for a backup with even less playing experience than Kolb had?

Sounds like they might be in the market for Tarvaris Jackson if Seattle releases him. That should tell you all the more you need to know about how bad Arizona's current QB situation is.

K Train 08-24-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 3097383)
The Cards got fleeced so hard in the Kolb trade. What an awful, awful deal.

lets monitor foles now, who is andy reid going to hoax into thinking an eagles backup QB is the answer, the future, the truth?

BeerBaron 08-24-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 3097387)
lets monitor foles now, who is andy reid going to hoax into thinking an eagles backup QB is the answer, the future, the truth?

Foles might just stay with the Eagles. The better question is, if the team fizzles again this year, who do they fleece with Vick and his hundred million dollar contract?