Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   I want you all to tell me how bad Blaine Gabbert will be this year. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53643)

Dallas357 08-26-2012 11:42 AM

I want you all to tell me how bad Blaine Gabbert will be this year.

He has something now the other rookie qbs had from the beginning, a receiver that can catch the ball. Also, having your receivers lead the league in drops never helps. Is anyone going to argue he had the worst receivers in the league last year? I've never been from the receivers are a dime a dozen camp ever though.

General consensus around here seems to be they'll be picking #1. Even though they've never picked higher than 7th after their expansion year.

Just my gut feeling he proves a lot of people wrong this year. If i'm wrong don't forget to bump this around Halloween or early november. Give it approximately 2 months.

But really do your worst guys. Don't forget he's the most hated qb in the league. That he barely had more tds than ints last year, that you think henne will be the starter day 1, no olt to protect him, etc. Really go into how bad he will be this year.

FUNBUNCHER 08-26-2012 12:00 PM

I think several posters are giving Gabby a mulligan for last season. He looks much improved in preseason, just his pocket presence, decision making and accuracy.

I don't know if he'll ever be a star, but for now the job appears to be his to lose in Jacksonville.

Razor 08-26-2012 12:18 PM

I think Tebow is easily the most hated QB (and player) in the NFL. Gabby has a ton of talent and good tools to work with. However, he just didn't look comfortable last year. He seemed scared and was absolutely terrible under pressure. I don't know if he puts it all together. If he does he could be very good. If not last year is what you're going to get out of him every year. My hunch says that he'll end up similar to Mark Sanchez, but really.... At this point nobody knows and if someone posts the right prediction here I'll put it in the "blind luck" category.

jrdrylie 08-26-2012 12:33 PM

I see him somewhere in this range:

3000-3500 yards
20-26 TD
12-15 INT

Matthew Jones 08-26-2012 12:35 PM

Here's a conservative projection:

2800 yards, 56%, 16 TD, 14 INT

bigbluedefense 08-26-2012 12:50 PM

My biggest knock on Gabbert was his complete inability to handle pressure and escape at a moments notice. I felt that when your qb is THAT scared, it's not something you can fix.

Having that said, it looks like Mularkey somehow was able to fix it. It really does amaze me, I really didn't think he was capable of growing a nut sack.

All he had to do was grow a pair, and he'd have potential to be a capable qb in this league, and so far it seems like the light came on. He stands in the pocket and takes the hit.

Having that said, I'm still skeptical. I need to see how he responds to blitzes in the regular season. But I won't completely write him off, not after seeing his exponential growth this PS.

I'm gonna say he'll be a top 20 qb this year, with mediocre numbers, some growth, but not enough to make me feel comfortable in calling him a franchise qb.

Cigaro 08-26-2012 01:08 PM

He will be not great.

ChiFan24 08-26-2012 01:09 PM

I was already on the bandwagon. He'll be OK.

A Perfect Score 08-26-2012 01:28 PM

Mediocrity runs high in Jacksonville. If he has more TD's then INTs at the end of the year, I'll be very impressed.

tjsunstein 08-26-2012 02:17 PM

I saw him stand tall in the pocket and look downfield while the pressure was coming instead of staring at the incoming blitz until it got to him. That's going to go a long way for him. He's capable of making the passes when there's nothing around him. As long as he continues to stand tall, he'll continue to get better. But he can't fall back into his ways of last year or he's looking for a 9-5 job.

As far as numbers? 3200/20TD/16INT

murdamal86 08-26-2012 09:55 PM

He'll be a top 15 QB. Sig this post

descendency 08-26-2012 10:04 PM

A step above last year.

Or a step behind every other QB, except one of the Jets.

Dallas357 08-27-2012 04:08 PM

Now I know there are some real Gabbert haters on here. Don't be shy. Worst qb in the league, problems can't be fixed, Jaguars a lock to draft barkley, etc.

Brothgar 08-27-2012 04:12 PM

He looked good for the first two pre-season games then looked horrid in the third. I'll say. Worse than Matt Cassel.

MidwayMonster31 08-27-2012 04:36 PM

The dink and dunk system can help out Gabbert a bit. If he's willing to stay in the pocket and not go back to old habits, he can at least be a serviceable quarterback.
I will go with a 57% completion percentage, 2700 yards, 15 TD, 13 INT.

Don Vito 08-27-2012 06:03 PM

Whoa there ************

TheRubberDuck45 08-27-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brothgar (Post 3100462)
He looked good for the first two pre-season games then looked horrid in the third. I'll say. Worse than Matt Cassel.

Lol wut? How was he horrid? No picks no tds and only sacked once.

Brothgar 08-27-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRubberDuck45 (Post 3100556)
Lol wut? How was he horrid? No picks no tds and only sacked once.

And a sub .500 completion % that is Mark Sanchez numbers.

TitanHope 08-27-2012 06:33 PM

He'll never make it out...alive.

Caddy 08-27-2012 06:54 PM

He will have a better season that 2/5 rookie QBs.

fenikz 08-27-2012 07:03 PM

I think more people hate Kolb than Gabbert

TitanHope 08-27-2012 07:05 PM

I, for one, am digging the angsty vibes coming from some of the Jags fans lately. Let that poison out, guy.

J'Ville was an impossible situation last year, and Gabbert should have sat his entire rookie season since he was a project. But the Jags threw him to the wolves on a team that applied him no help, so it's only natural that he struggled mightily. So it's absolutely unfair to just write him off after one season on a poor team.

Personally, I hope Gabbert has success. He's a handsome man with a great set of hair. I like that in a player. And when it looked like he wanted to throw the ball, he threw a nice ball. And if Blackmon becomes a safety blanket, then that'll help immensely.

But until he goes out and plays well against a defense that's out for blood, people will be extremely reluctant to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll have some dramatic leap from 1st to 2nd year. I know Jags fans think non-Jags fans are ignorant of the Jaguars, but it's also ignorant of Jags fans to expect non-Jags fans to hop on the bandwagon of a player who played poorly last year. And until Gabbert proves himself, people should expect jabs from BeerBaron, because frankly, BB is only alive to this day because of the power of hate. He's like a Sith lord or a Canadian goose.

I have no clue on projecting his stats. That offense rests on the shoulders of 3 whole players, so if something goes wrong with one, it's Jenga. He'll undoubtedly improve though. He has no choice, especially with the added receiving talent. To what extent though, who knows. I do think he'll be the worst QB in the division, but that's because Luck is a porcelain goddess and Locker has so many toys around him. And Matt Schaub looks funny, but that's neither here nor there.

TheRubberDuck45 08-27-2012 08:18 PM

11 for 21. Not sub 500. Close but no. You're talking out your ass

Brothgar 08-27-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRubberDuck45 (Post 3100646)
11 for 21. Not sub 500. Close but no. You're talking out your ass

half a completion off = talking out of my ass good to know.

soybean 08-27-2012 10:02 PM

what are your realistic expectations though? He was literally the worst qb in the league, even if he becomes serviceable, is that what you want to hang your franchise on?

How many qbs go from being the worst qb into the league into an elite qb?