Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Art Modell passes away (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53728)

The Alex 09-06-2012 01:11 AM

Art Modell passes away

Quote:

Former Browns owner Art Modell is in a Baltimore area hospital where his condition is reportedly worsening.

Family members, including his sons John and David, are gathered with the 87-year-old Modell at the hospital.

Channel 3 Sports has learned Modell's vital organs are failing.

Modell owned the Cleveland Browns from 1961 to 1995. In a controversial decision, he moved the team to Baltimore to start the 1996 season.

During Modell's tenure as team owner the Browns made the postseason 17 times, including 11 division titles and the NFL championship in 1964.

In Baltimore, Modell and the Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV.

Modell is not a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

WKYC-TV
Source: http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/259...l-hospitalized

Vital organs failing? He doesn't have long. How will he be remembered? For the Cleveland Browns debacle or for bringing football back to Baltimore?

vidae 09-06-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alex (Post 3107489)
Source: http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/259...l-hospitalized

Vital organs failing? He doesn't have long. How will he be remembered? For the Cleveland Browns debacle or for bringing football back to Baltimore?

Depends on who you ask I guess.

Brodeur 09-06-2012 01:13 AM

That's not Mike Brown.

tjsunstein 09-06-2012 01:15 AM

Saw this on the bottom line during SportsCenter after the game. Really sad stuff, and no one here (maybe CJ) can fully appreciate everything Modell has done.

Rosebud 09-06-2012 01:27 AM

He LeBron'd Cleveland before Lebron had even graduated from high school. And no one can ever take that away from him.

Ness 09-06-2012 01:28 AM

In a nutshell why did he move the team again? I can't remember.

Rosebud 09-06-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3107511)

WCH 09-06-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3107511)

Here are the most relevant details (with the key parts in bold), from Wikipedia:

Quote:

In 1973, then-Browns owner Art Modell signed a 25-year lease to operate Cleveland Stadium. Modell's newly-formed company, Stadium Corporation, assumed the expenses of operations from the city, freeing up tax dollars for other purposes. Also, Modell would pay an annual rent of $150,000 for the first five years and $200,000 afterwards to the city. In exchange, Modell would receive all revenue generated by the stadium. Stadium Corp invested in improvements, including new electronic scoreboards and luxury suites. Renting the suites and the scoreboard advertising generated substantial revenue for Stadium Corp and Modell.

However, Modell refused to share the suite revenue with the Cleveland Indians Major League Baseball team (which also played at Cleveland Stadium), even though much of the revenues were generated during baseball games as well as football games.

Eventually, the Indians prevailed upon the local governments and voters and convinced them to build them their own facility where they controlled the suite revenue. Modell, mistakenly believing that his revenues were not endangered, refused to participate in the Gateway Project that built Jacobs Field for the Indians and Gund Arena for the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers. Modell's assumptions proved incorrect, and Stadium Corp's suite revenues declined sharply when the Indians moved from the stadium to Jacobs Field in 1994.

After Modell realized how much revenue he lost from the Indians moving out of Cleveland Stadium, he requested an issue be placed on the ballot to provide $175 million in tax dollars to refurbish the outmoded and declining Cleveland Stadium.

On the field, the Browns, coached by Bill Belichick, were coming off a playoff season in which the team finished 11-5 and advanced to the second round of the playoffs entering the 1995 season. Sports Illustrated even selected the Browns to represent the AFC in Super Bowl XXX at the end of the season. However, the team disappointed many fans by losing three straight games after starting the season 3-1.

On November 6, 1995, with the team sitting at 4-5, Modell announced in a press conference at Camden Yards that he had signed a deal to relocate the Browns to Baltimore, Maryland in 1996 – a move which would return the NFL to Baltimore for the first time since the Baltimore Colts relocated to Indianapolis, Indiana after the 1983 season. The reason Modell chose to relocate to Baltimore was because he felt the city had the funding to build a first-class stadium.The very next day, on November 7, Cleveland voters overwhelmingly approved the aforementioned tax issue to remodel Cleveland Stadium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clevela...on_controversy

On a side note, can you imagine if Belichick had been kept on as the Raven's coach? That would have shaken up recent NFL history.

Ness 09-06-2012 01:40 AM

Damn. I could see why Browns fans were ticked.

The Alex 09-06-2012 01:43 AM

More from Wikipedia:

Quote:

The reaction in Cleveland was, not surprisingly, very hostile. Modell had promised numerous times never to move the team. The Brooklyn native mentioned numerous times how saddened and betrayed he and other Brooklynites had felt when the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles in 1957. He had also publicly criticized the Baltimore Colts' move to Indianapolis, and he had testified in favor of the NFL in court cases where the league unsuccessfully tried to stop Al Davis from moving the Oakland Raiders from Oakland to Los Angeles.
Yeah, I can't say I'm sad over this dude dropping. I'm not saying I want him dead but I'm not gonna be heartbroken and saddened that we lost a pioneer of the game or anything remotely close to that. Those are some real chicken**** actions on his part.

Ness 09-06-2012 01:48 AM

Man is Cleveland ever going to stop being the NFL's doormat?

The Alex 09-06-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3107529)
Man is Cleveland ever going to stop being the sports world's doormat?

Fixed that for you.

WCH 09-06-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3107522)
Damn. I could see why Browns fans were ticked.

I've always figured that the hatred is justified just based on the facts that he moved the team after decades of swearing he wouldn't; then he fired Belichick, drafted Ogden and Lewis, and immediately became one of the best teams of the next fifteen years. I mean, just imagine the Cleveland Browns with Ray Lewis and Bill Belichick.

Still, you hate to hear about anybody reaching the end of the line, like he apparently is.

Razor 09-06-2012 07:19 AM

Art Modell is dead.

RIP.

CJSchneider 09-06-2012 08:51 AM

Rest In Peace, Mr. Modell.

kalbears13 09-06-2012 09:02 AM

edit: because

BuckeyeDan17 09-06-2012 09:11 AM

Ive moved on. I wish comfort for his loved ones.

PoopSandwich 09-06-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3107513)

I'm so awesome I grew up in New York where everyone is so ******* cool and everyone has a job and the city is just so much better than anything I've ever experienced. Where the night life is a rager even on Tuesday nights and the beer flows like Capistrano.

Rosebud 09-06-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinslowBodden (Post 3107621)
I'm so awesome I grew up in New York where everyone is so ******* cool and everyone has a job and the city is just so much better than anything I've ever experienced. Where the night life is a rager even on Tuesday nights and the beer flows like Capistrano.

Then why are you a browns fan? I grew up in Berlin and Chicago, and was smart enough not become a browns fan, how come you ended up a Browns fan growing up an equally awesome city?

PoopSandwich 09-06-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3107625)
Then why are you a browns fan? I grew up in Berlin and Chicago, and was smart enough not become a browns fan, how come you ended up a Browns fan growing up an equally awesome city?

I GREW UP IN AVON LAKE.

LOOK AT THE BEAUTY.

LOOK AT IT.

Also I'm not gonna talk **** about Art Modell, it is what it is, RIP.

Bulldogs 09-06-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3107625)

I have more respect for a life long Browns fan than just about anyone else. The team not doing well for the past 25 years only strengthens my appreciation of them. Being a fan isn't just about your team winning.

Rosebud 09-06-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogs (Post 3107628)
I have more respect for a life long Browns fan than just about anyone else. The team not doing well for the past 25 years only strengthens my appreciation of them. Being a fan isn't just about your team winning.

Dude I'm a knicks fan, no need to tell me about sticking through the "tough times" with your team, but at some point you're only doing it because you're a masochist, and that's the point Browns fans and anyone who lives in cleveland is at.

Bulldogs 09-06-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3107629)
Dude I'm a knicks fan, no need to tell me about sticking through the "tough times" with your team, but at some point you're only doing it because you're a masochist, and that's the point Browns fans and anyone who lives in cleveland is at.

You went through like ten rough years, don't act like the Knicks have the worst team of all time or something. I just don't see the reason to continually insult Browns fans when all they are doing is rooting for their squad, it's not like they are the ones making the personnel decisions.

This rage is maybe not directed solely towards you. It's just how I've come to feel over the years whenever I hear a person insult a fan of a bad team, and then when you ask what that person likes, it's the Yankees, Patriots, and Heat.

PoopSandwich 09-06-2012 09:41 AM

Grew up without the Browns for the most part, was a Packers fan for like 3 or 4 years because I had family there. Browns came back, went to a game, had season tickets for 10+ years.

One of these days man...

Rosebud 09-06-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogs (Post 3107632)
You went through like ten rough years, don't act like the Knicks have the worst team of all time or something. I just don't see the reason to continually insult Browns fans when all they are doing is rooting for their squad, it's not like they are the ones making the personnel decisions.

This rage is maybe not directed solely towards you. It's just how I've come to feel over the years whenever I hear a person insult a fan of a bad team, and then when you ask what that person likes, it's the Yankees, Patriots, and Heat.

The Browns were in the playoffs before their move in the mid 90's, that's 15 years ago, not that much less than Knicks stretch between the ewing trade the melo trade. Plus my favorite team in any sport, 1 FC Union Berlin, still hasn't made it up to the top division since re-unification way back in 1989. I have a soft spot for the Bills and Rams, and really just mega-loathe the city of cleveland