Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mock Drafts (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Week 2 Mock (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53842)

Robcards 09-17-2012 12:40 PM

Week 2 Mock

Had myself a mock season for the remaining 14 games in Excel and was kind of surprised at the results, if teams were close I gave the win to the home team and if not the superior team got the win, and threw in a few upsets so I didn't have super polarized win-loss totals at the end.

1 JAC (2-14) - Matt Barkley - QB - USC
I think in this day in age the #1 pick will surely be a QB every year. With new ownership in Jacksonville, I see them going a different direction than Gabbert after this abysmal season.

2 OAK (4-12) - Jarvis Jones - OLB - Georgia
I know most people think Oakland will draft a QB, but QB play has not been their issue through the first 2 games, their defense has not been good, in particular it's pass rush. I think Carson Palmer will remain the starter in 2013 while they continue to develop Terrelle Pryor. I think Jarvis Jones' draft stock will skyrocket this season as he is well on his way to another dominating season. This pick would also allow them to fully convert to 3-4 instead of the hybrid scheme they're playing now.

3 CLE (4-12) - Barkevious Mingo - DE - LSU
Weeden followed up the worst possible performance week 1 with likely the best you could hope for out of him week 2. Think they turn their attention to their defense with their first pick in round 1 next year, and get a legitimate pass rusher in Mingo.

4 TEN (4-12) - Johnathan Hankins - DT - Ohio State
I think Hankins is going to overtake the #1 DT spot by the end of the season over Lotuleilei. I feel that Titans' run defense will be a major weakness this year, giving up 155 yards a game to the Patriots and Matthews-less Chargers is absolutely pathetic.

5 STL (5-11) - Luke Joeckel - LT - Texas A & M
Joeckel definitely has the talent to be selected top 5, but I see the Rams trading back for the 2nd year in a row and picking up Joeckel or Lewan. Robert Woods could be on their radar too if Brian Quick isn't who they thought he was when they reached for him early 2nd last year.

6 SEA (5-11) - Robert Woods - WR - USC
The thought of Robert Woods getting drafted later than Blackmon did makes me cringe, even if it is only one spot. However, the 2013 class as a whole looks way stronger than the 2012 class, particularly at WR, so it makes sense. Assuming of course that Russell Wilson has a promising rookie season, WR 1st for the Seahawks is fairly obvious.

7 MIN (5-11) - Dee Milliner - CB - Alabama
While Amerson was getting torched by Tennessee's 3rd WR, Milliner was all over the place against Arkansas. I think it's a safe assumption that Milliner will be the #1 corner off the board come draft day.

8 IND (6-10) - Star Lotuleilei - DT - Utah
I think Star is a good fit in a 3-4 scheme, he can line up at the 3-tech or NT. The only spot on that 3-man front that is remotely solid is Redding, the NT and other DE spot are up for grabs. Colts run D got shellacked against the Bears but had a promising turn around against the Vikings.

9 KC (6-10) - Logan Thomas - QB - Virginia Tech
I hate putting him this high after watching him make the absolute worst decisions possible against Pitt on Saturday, but there's no question about his potential. Many people believed he'd be next years Cam Newton or RGIII, but its hard to do that when you don't have a ridiculous Junior campaign and win the Heisman and all that they did, which is out the window after Saturday's performance. Still, if Tannehill can go top 10 out of QB need, so can Thomas. I think Bray stays for Senior year, he's really into the school and I think waiting a year makes him the clearcut #1 in 2014. We'll see though.

10 TB (6-10) - Johnathan Banks - CB - Mississippi State
I wrote in David Amerson here, but I had to delete it the more I thought about it the more I don't think he will even be the 2nd corner off the board. Could be because I just saw Banks pick off 2 passes in a matter of 5 minutes against Auburn, but this guys is special, and can definitely sneak his way into the top 10.

11 CAR (6-10) - Sam Montgomery - DE - LSU
BPA pick, also Panthers' pass rush could use a serious upgrade. Not sure if he's a scheme fit or not but he's a beast and I felt silly having him fall this far.

12 ARI (7-9) - Tyler Wilson - QB - Arkansas
The concussion he just suffered will impact his draft stock more than they used to with the NFL being gung-ho about head injuries these days. Still, he is a QB, and QBs draft stock is inflated when the team needs one, which the Cardinals no doubt do. How he does this season without his 3 mid-round WRs will speak volumes about how good he actually is too.

13 BUF (7-9) - Keenan Allen - WR - California
Bills are also a candidate to draft a QB, contract extensions don't mean a whole lot if the guaranteed money is frontloaded. Still, the Bills desperately need a legitimate WR who isn't Stevie Johnson. TJ Graham could work out, but even if he does he'd make a good slot receiver.

14 MIA (7-9) - Justin Hunter - WR - Tennessee
Didn't even need to think twice about this one. The Dolphins have a worse receiving corps than some college teams, way worse than USC's for sure.

15 CIN (7-9) - Marcus Lattimore - RB - South Carolina
Assuming he stays healthy, Lattimore should be about a mid-round pick. The knee injury from 2011 hurts his stock and the fact that RBs as a whole have been devalued, but even 15 is low for someone with his talent.

16 STL(WAS) (8-8) - Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

Aside from Laurenaitis the Rams LB corps is ugly, Te'o would move from 3-4 ILB to 4-3 OLB in the Rams system. I was shocked that the Rams didn't draft a LB until day 3 last draft, and that LB got cut as well.

17 NYG (8-8) - Taylor Lewan - LT - Michigan

Another pick I didn't have to think twice about. Who's the Giants LT right now? Locklear now? Yikes. Very obvious pick an Eli will be thankful for it.

18 NO (8-8) - David Amerson - CB - NC State
This was a tough one. Saints are currently last in run defense, however they played two scrambling quarterbacks. They clearly need to use their 1st pick on defense, but with a lot of money put into their DEs, safeties, LBs, and DTs, that doesn't leave a whole lot. Ellis' contract expires this year but after Hankins and Lotuleilei I don't see any 4-3 DTs that are worth this pick. So that only leaves corner.

19 DEN (9-7) - Eric Reid - FS - LSU
Can we call Rahim Moore a bust yet? Well, I am, and expect the Broncos might come April as well.

20 CHI (9-7) - Bobby Wagner - LT - Wisconsin
I think Bears fans' heads might explode if they are subjected to another season of Webb at LT. Teammates with Carimi at Wisconsin they should make a solid tackle combination.

21 NYJ (10-6) - Jackson Jeffcoat - OLB - Texas
Such a good 3-4 rush linebacker crop coming out in 2013, it would be a joke if the Jets did not take one. Didn't mind Jets passing on Ingram and Jones to take Coples because he was the best defensive player available, but next year it will be hard for the best defensive player available to not be an OLB.

22 SD (10-6) - Barrett Jones - OL - Alabama

Almost forgot about this guy, he's clearly first round talent but the fact that the only position on the line he doesn't play is LT will hurt his value. Still, he can play G, C, or RT easily in the NFL and teams will jump at that. Chargers could use some help in the interior of their line.

23 PHI (10-6) - TJ McDonald - S - USC

Clearly their biggest need at this point. Plenty of young talent in the front 7 and Boykin is looking good at nickelback. The offense definitely doesn't need any help either. Definitely think either Reid or McDonald will be an Eagle come April barring some setback in Peters' return at LT for next season.

24 ATL (11-5) - DJ Fluker - RT - Alabama
A big mauler that would be an ideal zone blocker in the NFL.

25 BAL (11-5) - Max Bullough - ILB - Michigan State
Ray Lewis has to retire after this season... right? Well, in any case, Bullough is a monster in the middle and I can see his draft stock soar, and even if it doesn't, Newsome will realize what a steal this guy is late in the 1st.

26 DET (11-5) - Carrington Byndom - CB - Texas
I watched the game last night and Drayton Florence was starting at corner. I mean I know that they drafted 3 corners last year, but come on that secondary is horrendous. Still their biggest need in 2013 by far.

27 DAL (11-5) - Johnathan Jenkins - NT - Georgia

Still not sure why Dallas uses Ratliff as a NT, but in any case, Cowboys could use some front 3 help and at this stage in the draft the NTs are way better than the 3-techs, so they'll figure something out up there, like moving Ratliff to DE.

28 NE (13-3) - Chance Warmack - G - Alabama

Patriots O-line needs some work, but Patriots are also the toughest team to mock every year on account of all their movement and surprise picks.

29 PIT (11-5) - LeVeon Bell - RB - Michigan State
This kid is special. He has the size of a fullback but has one of the best spin moves in the nation, and his vertical is insane. Would be shocked if he isn't selected in the first round, probably even higher than this. Team he goes to likely depends on what RBs get injured or don't perform well.

30 SF (13-3) - Demontre Moore - OLB - Texas A&M

With no glaring needs and solid youth at just about every position, the niners are in a prime position to draft bpa for depth in 2013. One position they lack depth is OLB, and I think Demontre Moore's stock is going to skyrocket. Just watched him destroy Florida's oline and future nfl tackle Chaz Greeen last week, and think he's way better than the projected 2nd-3rd round he is now.

31 HOU (10-6) - Jake Matthews - RT - Texas A&M
The right side of their offensive line has been a mess since the departure of Eric Winston. This should shore it up.

32 GB (12-4) - Eddie Lacy - RB - Alabama
The other RBs in this tier have been less than stellar. I see a lot of movement in the RB ranks from now until draft day, aside from Lattimore and Bell I think those 2 guys are locks to be 1st rounders out of sheer talent.

Comments appreciated! This is my first mock this season so I'm sure theres plenty wrong with it, particularly the teams drafting priorities and so forth. So let me know!

cmarq83 09-17-2012 12:57 PM

DT is probably the deepest position on our entire team, and our starting duo is very good. DE, WR, OG/OC, and CB would all be better picks.

soybean 09-17-2012 01:32 PM

That'd probably be a dream come true for the Chiefs if Logan Thomas landed in their laps.

Robcards 09-17-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soybean (Post 3119562)
That'd probably be a dream come true for the Chiefs if Logan Thomas landed in their laps.

I wouldn't call it a dream after his performance on Saturday, lol. His decision making needs an overhaul, no question about his potential but he can be a HUGE bust as well.

Robcards 09-17-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmarq83 (Post 3119535)
DT is probably the deepest position on our entire team, and our starting duo is very good. DE, WR, OG/OC, and CB would all be better picks.

Fair enough, changed it to DE. Already stated I don't see the Pats spending a 1st rounder on a G/C especially with Barrett Jones off the board

vidae 09-17-2012 01:36 PM

Right position for KC but I'd much rather go with Tyler Wilson than Logan Thomas. I like Thomas, but I love Wilson and his potential.

Robcards 09-17-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3119572)
Right position for KC but I'd much rather go with Tyler Wilson than Logan Thomas. I like Thomas, but I love Wilson and his potential.

Thomas has more potential than Wilson... Wilson is the more NFL ready of the two you mean?

In terms of potential you don't get much higher than a 6'6 260lb guy who's hard to bring down and has arguably the strongest arm in the nation. I think that may be the definition of potential actually lol

Razor 09-17-2012 05:16 PM

I think there's no chance that we'll pass on Chance Warmack. BB values OL pretty highly, and he has selected OL in the first before (Mankins and Solder). The offense goes where the OL takes it, and we need to get better inside. DE would be nice if no quality OG/OC is available though.

bucfan12 09-17-2012 05:35 PM

Love the pick for the Bucs in Jonathon Banks. He plays at Missisippi State and doesn't as much attention as Amerson's 13 INTs.

Banks is the more well rounded and best CB in the draft, IMO.

Pat Sims 90 09-17-2012 05:37 PM

The Bengals need a pass rusher way more then a RB.

Robcards 09-17-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 (Post 3119817)
The Bengals need a pass rusher way more then a RB.

I put down a de first but then realized Lattimore still on the board at 15 is insane and considering your backfield is less than stellar it makes plenty of sense. Teams don't draft their biggest need in the first round you need to bpa draft to win in this league. How many of the 1st round picks last year were picks that in mocks people would say 'they have solid starters at that position they won't go that way'? Kuechly to Carolina, Coples to the Jets, Floyd to the cardinals, McClellan to the bears, Mercilus to the texans are just a few off the top of my head.

bored of education 09-17-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

What this handsome devil said.

redbills 09-17-2012 06:51 PM

I'd be okay with Allen, Hunter or Te'o. Byrd is a FA so if he walks we'd need a FS so Ried would be a nice pick.

Don Vito 09-17-2012 07:31 PM

As you said our defense is much improved but it's tough to argue against gholston and chandler jones as our defensive ends.

proshoota25 09-17-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 3119930)
As you said our defense is much improved but it's tough to argue against gholston and chandler jones as our defensive ends.

absolutely agree here

Pat Sims 90 09-18-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robcards (Post 3119838)
I put down a de first but then realized Lattimore still on the board at 15 is insane and considering your backfield is less than stellar it makes plenty of sense. Teams don't draft their biggest need in the first round you need to bpa draft to win in this league. How many of the 1st round picks last year were picks that in mocks people would say 'they have solid starters at that position they won't go that way'? Kuechly to Carolina, Coples to the Jets, Floyd to the cardinals, McClellan to the bears, Mercilus to the texans are just a few off the top of my head.

You don't realize how bad the Bengals DE situation is. Anybody would be a upgrade over the starters they have. The Bengals have always addressed biggest needs over BPA.

Robcards 09-18-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 (Post 3120341)
You don't realize how bad the Bengals DE situation is. Anybody would be a upgrade over the starters they have. The Bengals have always addressed biggest needs over BPA.

Yikes. Really? Feel bad for bengals fans then.

villagewarrior 09-18-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored of education (Post 3119891)
What this handsome devil said.

Ditto. I wasn't buying Logan Thomas' hype before he played poorly. I'd take Wilson and Geno Smith over him.

T-RICH49 09-18-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

what he said

Grizzlegom 09-18-2012 10:39 AM

Dolphins + WR = good pick even if I'd prefer Woods or Allen, can't argue since they are both gone!

Robcards 09-18-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzlegom (Post 3120499)
Dolphins + WR = good pick even if I'd prefer Woods or Allen, can't argue since they are both gone!

The Afc east has a really easy schedule will be tough for the dolphins to pick high enough to land one of those 2 without trading up I think

ArkyRamsFan 09-18-2012 11:14 AM

Robcards,

Totally agree with Joeckel to the Rams with their first pick. Rams had OL problems even before Saffold's latest injury and have needed an OLT ever since Pace retired.

However, no way do I see them passing on E. Reid or T. McDonald for Te'o or any other Lber. The Rams have a huge hole at safety and it is easily the worst position on our defense.

killxswitch 09-18-2012 11:51 AM

Star Lotulelei to the Colts is perfect. 8th would be too high to pick a guard and IMO getting a stud baby Ngata at the #8 pick would be a great value. Hopefully we can address OL in free agency.

Robcards 09-18-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3120560)
Star Lotulelei to the Colts is perfect. 8th would be too high to pick a guard and IMO getting a stud baby Ngata at the #8 pick would be a great value. Hopefully we can address OL in free agency.

FA or later in the draft. You can get starting caliber guards in the 2nd, 3rd, even 4th sometimes

Robcards 09-18-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArkyRamsFan (Post 3120536)
However, no way do I see them passing on E. Reid or T. McDonald for Te'o or any other Lber. The Rams have a huge hole at safety and it is easily the worst position on our defense.

Hmm, not sure about that. Theyre both needs in the upcoming draft, and I think Fisher values front 7 higher than DBs, especially safety. I think Te'o would be tougher to pass up on than Reid or McDonald, especially considering this safety class looks way stronger than last years. And Fisher could also take a gamble on Ray Ray Armstrong and get a huge steal there later in the draft. I dunno, you could be right, I'd have to look at Fisher's draft history to see what he places more emphasis on but I'm pretty sure he's big on front 7 more than safeties.