Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Scott: Michael Buchanon, DE, Illinois (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53843)

bucfan12 09-17-2012 05:18 PM

Scott: Michael Buchanon, DE, Illinois

Hey Scott and rest of the Forum Posters;

What is your take on Michael Buchanon? I'm reading good things. I see right now he's listed at 6'6 240+ lbs but I think he's got the frame to add a solid 20-25 Lbs of muscle there and still not affect his athleticism.

Do you like him more as a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB? To me, I think he compares well to Aldon Smith, a guy who's a tweener that can excel in either scheme.

Opinion?

Scott Wright 09-17-2012 05:27 PM

I am a huge fan of Buchanan and am helping to drive the bandwagon.

In fact, I think you can make the argument that Buchanan is better than Whitney Mercilus.

Buchanan can really bend off the edge and you gotta love that long, rangy frame with growth potential and sheer athleticism. I agree on his ability to project to either a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB as well. Buchanan is a first round pick in my book and is the #4 senior in my overall rankings.

ATLDirtyBirds 09-17-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3119762)
In fact, I think you can make the argument that Buchanan is better than Whitney Mercilus.

I actually think this is pretty clear.

bucfan12 09-17-2012 05:42 PM

Yeah I read a few news updates from his coaches at Illinois saying he's added over 10 LBS of muscle and is between 250-255. Watched some film on him in the opener vs W. Michigan. He's a beast and does not look 240 Lbs to me.

ChiFan24 09-17-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds (Post 3119767)

Absolutely. Playing on the same line, you could see that Buchanon was on another level physically.

Ozzy 09-17-2012 06:45 PM

Wow....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVrIjGI4TXg

Yeah not much to not like about him, where he plays is makes him get less attention, but with that frame and aggressive play, hard to knock anything about him. Clearly with a strong year he is first round potential.

But to keep things into perspective, as a 3/4 OLB you have to out play these boys.

Jarvis Jones Georgia RS JR
Barkevious Mingo LSU RS JR
Prince Shembo Notre Dame JR
Kyle Van Noy BYU JR
John Simon Ohio State
Jamie Collins Southern Miss

And as a true 4/3 DE these guys as well, especially if Gholston plays up to his potential this season.
William Gholston Michigan State JR
Bjoern Werner Florida State JR
Cornellius Carradine Florida State
Devin Taylor South Carolina
Corey Lemonier Auburn JR
Sam Montgomery LSU JR

So it is not like he has no competition, and will be hard to be anywhere near as productive as Bjoern Werner has been this season as a pass rusher.

But for sure one to keep a close eye on.

Don Vito 09-17-2012 08:26 PM

He reminds me of chandler jones a bit not only with his frame and length but he is fluid, versatile, and uses his hands well.

TitanHope 09-17-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds (Post 3119767)

#99 flashed on tape more, and the tape was titled "Whitney Mercilus Highlights."

ATLDirtyBirds 09-17-2012 08:39 PM

It'd be cool to go back and see how many guys Buchanon chased into Mercilus' arms.

derza222 09-17-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 3119927)
#99 flashed on tape more, and the tape was titled "Whitney Mercilus Highlights."

I definitely saw the same thing when I was watching Mercilus before last year's draft.

bucfan12 09-17-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy (Post 3119827)
Wow....

Yeah not much to not like about him, where he plays is makes him get less attention, but with that frame and aggressive play, hard to knock anything about him. Clearly with a strong year he is first round potential.

But to keep things into perspective, as a 3/4 OLB you have to out play these boys.

Kyle Van Noy BYU JR
John Simon Ohio State

And as a true 4/3 DE these guys as well, especially if Gholston plays up to his potential this season.
Corey Lemonier Auburn JR
Sam Montgomery LSU JR

So it is not like he has no competition, and will be hard to be anywhere near as productive as Bjoern Werner has been this season as a pass rusher.

Oh yeah. There's a ton of competition. He's just a prospect that seems to be gettin lost in the mix of a great de /olb pass rusher class

ATLDirtyBirds 09-17-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy (Post 3119827)
Wow....

Kyle Van Noy BYU JR
John Simon Ohio State

Corey Lemonier Auburn JR
Sam Montgomery LSU JR

Dion Jordan.

JHL6719 09-17-2012 10:49 PM

Dude put up goose eggs all across the board while his team was getting blown out by Arizona St. He's always looked pretty overrated to me. Give me Mercilus, and I wasn't even a big Mercilus fan.

Robcards 09-18-2012 12:32 AM

Jackson Jeffcoat and Alex Okafor on Texas too

Demontre Moore and Sean Porter on Texas A&M

duesouth 09-18-2012 06:02 AM

Saw Buchanan against Arizona State and lost count of how many times he gave up the edge against the run. Some 3-4 teams ask their OLB's to set the edge, so they won't be high on him. In terms of just flying up the field, then certainly he'll draw interest. Looks to have really skinny legs - almost looks like AJ Green in his lower body - anchoring is going to be an issue as well. But quick off the edge and in can help right away as a situational pass rusher.

bucfan12 09-18-2012 08:54 AM

Got to remember though he doesn't har much help around him in the front 7. He's really the only guy teams need to key on. That's why I think he's really underrated.

JHL6719 09-18-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3120381)
Got to remember though he doesn't har much help around him in the front 7. He's really the only guy teams need to key on. That's why I think he's really underrated.

Akeem Spence at DT and Jonathan Brown at LB are two of the best underclassman prospects on defense in the entire country.

Most overrated pass rusher in the draft until people realize what his true value is.

bucfan12 09-18-2012 09:48 AM

Brown yes is a good talet and prospect. Spence? Ehh very questionable. Idk what u see in him that makes him a top UC prospect in the country.

bigbenn 09-18-2012 03:30 PM

Dude is right about Spence and Brown, and don't forget Terry Hawthorne who I think is the best CB in the country this year. But he is totally off about Buchanan. If you think he is overrated that's fine. But it isn't true. There isn't a DE I'd take over him. I think he is going to be a top 10 pick (Top 15 at worst).

ChiFan24 09-20-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbenn (Post 3120724)
Dude is right about Spence and Brown, and don't forget Terry Hawthorne who I think is the best CB in the country this year. But he is totally off about Buchanan. If you think he is overrated that's fine. But it isn't true. There isn't a DE I'd take over him. I think he is going to be a top 10 pick (Top 15 at worst).

Yeah, every Illini player is awesome. It's just a coincidence that the team is terrible.

Robcards 09-21-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 3122625)
Yeah, every Illini player is awesome. It's just a coincidence that the team is terrible.

Sounds like Illinois is this years north carolina.