Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Super Bowl XLVII: Houston Texans vs Atlanta Falcons (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53914)

J-Spot 09-23-2012 05:24 PM

Super Bowl XLVII: Houston Texans vs Atlanta Falcons

I'm calling it right now, halfway into Week 3.

There are no two better teams in the league in the NFC and AFC, respectively, than Atlanta and Houston.

Both have explosive offenses backed by elite defensive units. Houston and Atlanta might have the two best *passing* defenses in the NFL and that's what wins these days. And of course, Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub are two of the most efficient quarterbacks playing in the game today. There might be better pure quarterbacks, but none that have the support of a better defense.

DanZilla 09-23-2012 05:31 PM

i love these type of threads

Bulldogs 09-23-2012 05:59 PM

I'm not ready to back up this claim until I see more. Loving the product we've put on the field thus far though.

J-Spot 09-23-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogs (Post 3126220)
I'm not ready to back up this claim until I see more. Loving the product we've put on the field thus far though.

Looks like one of the top 3 passing defenses, and that alone is often enough, but couple that with Matt Ryan playing out of his mind, and I have a hard time seeing anyone better in NFC.

Pat Sims 90 09-23-2012 06:05 PM

So if your team is hot right now then that equals your team being hot at the end of the year and in the playoffs.

J-Spot 09-23-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 (Post 3126236)
So if your team is hot right now then that equals your team being hot at the end of the year and in the playoffs.

Most teams that win the Super Bowl show signs of being that team in the first four weeks of the season.

Giants Super Bowl runs are the exception and not the norm.

And even then, the Giants started 3-1 last year, shutting every team down except for the Redskins, which appeared to be pretty flukey at the time.

Bulldogs 09-23-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Spot (Post 3126234)
Looks like one of the top 3 passing defenses, and that alone is often enough, but couple that with Matt Ryan playing out of his mind, and I have a hard time seeing anyone better in NFC.

Lack of pass rush and run game scare me right now.

San Diego Chicken 09-23-2012 07:07 PM

ATL killed us today no doubt. They're a great squad, those safeties are awesome, and the passing game is so tough to stop. Chargers made things worse with a ton of stupid mistakes, but they're good. They just need to bring that type of performance into the playoffs.

Edit: It's also kinda weird how their schedule worked out with 3 straight games against the AFC West. Still think their good, but the fact that they haven't faced anyone else in the NFC yet gives me a bit of pause.

NY+Giants=NYG 09-23-2012 07:19 PM

Let's see how this season plays out first. You very well could be right, but let's see how Ryan does in the playoffs when the intensity and pressure gets raised up.

We still have a long ways to go in this marathon of a season.

kalbears13 09-23-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Spot (Post 3126113)
I'm calling it right now, halfway into Week 3.

There are no two better teams in the league in the NFC and AFC, respectively, than Atlanta and Houston.

Both have explosive offenses backed by elite defensive units. Houston and Atlanta might have the two best *passing* defenses in the NFL and that's what wins these days. And of course, Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub are two of the most efficient quarterbacks playing in the game today. There might be better pure quarterbacks, but none that have the support of a better defense.

Both Matts are on both my fantasy teams which means both of them are going to tear both their rotator cuffs next week. Both teams will be done by week 10.

diabsoule 09-23-2012 08:05 PM

This was my underdog Super Bowl pick before the season. It looks good right now but it's only the end of Week 3.

Mufasa 09-23-2012 08:14 PM

I think the Texans might be the best team in the NFL. I still don't buy the Falcons. In the NFC San Francisco and Green Bay are the top two.

comahan 09-23-2012 08:16 PM

Houston isnt going to the Super Bowl.

General Zod 09-23-2012 08:45 PM

Wait wait wait....

Didnt you all watch the first game of the season? Dallas has already won the super bowl this season remember?

niel89 09-23-2012 08:56 PM

Injuries. They change the landscape of the league every year and are impossible to predict.

Bert Macklin 09-23-2012 09:08 PM

Falcons will find a way to choke

bigbluedefense 09-23-2012 09:11 PM

I'd question the Falcons pass rush. It's hard to win in the playoffs with no push in the front 4. That's gonna be a problem come playoff time.

fenikz 09-23-2012 09:12 PM

Cardinals have a pass rush

just sayin

J-Spot 09-23-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 3126798)
Cardinals have a pass rush

just sayin

Cards might actually have the best defense in the NFC when it's all said and done, but I'll take Matt Ryan over Kevin Kolb, and Atlanta's pass D is not that much worse than Arizona's.

Cards could definitely win the NFC West at this point and are basically locks to make postseason as either division winner or wildcard, though.

Will be a tough out in the playoffs with that scary D.

RaiderNation 09-23-2012 10:20 PM

I've had Houston as my favorite from the AFC from the start of the pre season, NFC will be a toss up but ATL, SF, GB, and NYG will all be in the mix depending on how injuries effect each team.

bigbluedefense 09-24-2012 08:27 AM

I thought Pittsburgh would be a serious contender this year, but I don't know what to make of them yet.

The defense looks old and poor, but we saw this last year, and they bounced back. It's only week 3, so it's hard to really reach any conclusions on anybody just yet.

Shane P. Hallam 09-24-2012 09:27 AM

Name the last time the two best teams during Week 3 made the Super Bowl. I'd imagine it would take awhile. Despite this being my preseason Super Bowl prediction, it is still highly unlikely.

AntoinCD 09-24-2012 09:31 AM

Who would have thought the Giants would get to the Superbowl last year despite sneaking into the playoffs and having GB and New Orleans there? The Cardinals a few years back are another example.

The first few weeks are good to get off to a good start, but the only important thing is making it to the playoffs. Any team can get hot in January and make it.

I really like how Atlanta look right now, but I'm not sure I would take them over Green Bay.

The AFC looks more manageable for Houston, but bear in mind they have only been to the playoffs once in their history, and not with Matt Schaub. How does he cope with the pressure?

jrdrylie 09-24-2012 09:32 AM

My preseason pick was Baltimore-Dallas. The Ravens look in Super Bowl form. The Cowboys... not so much. If I could go back with hindsight, I'd pick Baltimore-Atlanta.

datchapin 09-24-2012 10:27 AM

Love the love my team is getting. I would love to see them in the superbowl. Yet, its a long season, and teams like Baltimore are still challenges we would have to overcome on the way to the Superbowl. It would be awesome to see the Texans in the bowl. Its still to early to make this claim, but GO TEXANS!!! SUPERBOWL OR BUST!!!