Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   NFL & NFLRA Have Reached Agreement (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53945)

Giantsfan1080 09-26-2012 11:22 AM

NFL & NFLRA Have Reached Agreement

They will work this weekend.

Quote:

AdamSchefter
As @mortreport is reporting, an agreement between NFL and NFLRA is at hand and both sides will work to have officials working this weekend.

DiG 09-26-2012 11:23 AM

would be surprised if they were able to get a crew going by tomorrow night. glad it got worked out.

Shane P. Hallam 09-26-2012 11:28 AM

This weekend? Interesting. They haven't been trained on the new rules/replay changes yet.

vidae 09-26-2012 11:29 AM

It's about time.

ryno626 09-26-2012 11:30 AM

looks like everyone's incessant bitching on facebook and twitter worked!

scottyboy 09-26-2012 11:33 AM

what are the fans of the losing teams going to complain about now?!?

K Train 09-26-2012 11:34 AM

honestly i expect rusty real refs to be pretty terrible for a few weeks

Scotty D 09-26-2012 11:35 AM

I've heard a couple times they've been training and testing rules this whole time so we will see. I bet they have a team ready for Thursday.

Prowler 09-26-2012 11:35 AM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...y-week-sources

Quote:

Although league sources said it would take a week to get the locked-out officials on the field, the NFLRA says its 121 referees have been trained on the new rules implemented last season, have already passed physicals or are prepared to pass physicals immediately. New official game uniforms designed by Nike are "hardly an obstacle," according to a source.
who seriously thought that the real refs were just sleeping or not paying attention to the new rules? a lot of them are lawyers and decent professionals. they will be fine.

Don Vito 09-26-2012 11:36 AM

They were terrible referees and certainly didn't do the pats any favors against Arizona or Baltimore, but this was an awfully amusing time to be an nfl fan. Cannot stress "awfully" enough.

jrdrylie 09-26-2012 11:37 AM

I'm definitely in the minority here but I hope the real refs don't work this weekend. They haven't been trained on the new rules. Some of them probably got a little out of shape in the long layoff. Give the real refsan extra week to get prepared.

NY+Giants=NYG 09-26-2012 11:37 AM

The refs may be rusty but certain elements can be avoided. Now the coaches can't intimidate the refs on the sideline. Fans and players will respect these guys more than the replacement refs. To me that instantly makes them better. However i have gotten used to the wild wild west mentality of the game.

killxswitch 09-26-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG (Post 3130348)
The refs may be rusty but certain elements can be avoided. Now the coaches can't intimidate the refs on the sideline. Fans and players will respect these guys more than the replacement refs. To me that instantly makes them better. However i have gotten used to the wild wild west mentality of the game.

Agree with all but the last sentence. I was ok with the wild west until week 3 when we got screwed a few times. It's fun til it happens to you.

BeerBaron 09-26-2012 11:40 AM

Other sources say the agreement is only "in principle" and that there is only "a possibility" of the refs reffing this weekend.

mqtirishfan 09-26-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 3130340)
insert joke about how at least they'll know the old rules

insert alternate joke about the replacement refs not knowing the new rules either

killxswitch 09-26-2012 11:50 AM

Also I'm happy to see that the owners didn't stick with their hardline in the face of a deteriorating product. All the people that said "Stop bitching, you still watch the games so nothing will change" were wrong. Including me, because I think I might have said that.

BeerBaron 09-26-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3130364)
Also I'm happy to see that the owners didn't stick with their hardline in the face of a deteriorating product. All the people that said "Stop bitching, you still watch the games so nothing will change" were wrong. Including me, because I think I might have said that.

It sounds more like the refs began to cave than the owners did. The refs were vehemently against the "bench" of backup officials and they came to a compromise on that.

We'll see how the the larger money/pension issue got handled to see who really won or lost here.

Ness 09-26-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3130328)
This weekend? Interesting. They haven't been trained on the new rules/replay changes yet.

Apparently they've already been training in themselves in their own personal time. At least that is what Jerry Albright said on the radio a week ago.

Giantsfan1080 09-26-2012 12:00 PM

The regular refs were smart to have stayed in shape and make sure they know the rules. The quicker they get back from accepting an agreement thequicker they get paid. The NFL isn't paying them for time lost so they need the extra week's paycheck.

jrdrylie 09-26-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3130366)
It sounds more like the refs began to cave than the owners did. The refs were vehemently against the "bench" of backup officials and they came to a compromise on that.

We'll see how the the larger money/pension issue got handled to see who really won or lost here.

I'm pretty sure the backup ref thing was actually a compromise. I heard earlier that the 21 extra refs won't be backups that will go in if a crew sucks like the NFL wanted but will now be in a training/development status. I guess they would be first in line to replace injured/retired refs.

Prowler 09-26-2012 12:01 PM

The new rules are a non-issue.

OT rules now apply to the regular season
Increased protection to helpless players on big hits
Touchdowns and turnovers are reviewable

They'll probably still have a league official there to help them on the sidelines.

BeerBaron 09-26-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3130372)
I'm pretty sure the backup ref thing was actually a compromise. I heard earlier that the 21 extra refs won't be backups that will go in if a crew sucks like the NFL wanted but will now be in a training/development status. I guess they would be first in line to replace injured/retired refs.

The "they came to a compromise" line wasn't enough for you?

XxXdragonXxX 09-26-2012 12:14 PM

Can't wait for the regular refs to monumentally screw up a game.

PackerLegend 09-26-2012 12:17 PM

So thanks for not agreeing and being out there on Monday night.... if our game was really the deciding factor its almost worth the loss. It got pretty unbearable at times.

BloodBrother 09-26-2012 12:30 PM

The silver lining to that MNF game!

now, all is right in the world. The real refs are back, fans will still complain about officiating

it's come full circle