Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   David DeCastro vs. Barrett Jones (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53953)

Don Vito 09-27-2012 08:07 AM

David DeCastro vs. Barrett Jones

I thought this would be an interesting debate. DeCastro was considered to be a sure fire stud guard prospect, and although his rookie year has been derailed, hopes are still extremely high for him. Jones has been a fixture on Bama's line for a few years, and was voted as the nation's top lineman last season.

As PROSPECTS, how would you rank these two? Forget about everything that has happened to DeCastro since he was drafted. If they were both in the same class, who would you take first? DeCastro was viewed as potentially the best guard prospect in the last 10 years, and I guess I don't see what makes him better than Jones as a prospect. Jones has been dominant against better competition and offers more versatility than DeCastro. This is not a knock on DeCastro at all, I think he will be a stud, but it is just my opinion. DeCastro was viewed as the top interior OL prospect to come along in a long time, and you don't really hear Jones get that sort of recognition despite being incredibly dominant in the SEC while playing all across the line.

Who ya got? I am also throwing an other in there, if you think someone like Kevin Zeitler, chance warmack, or Jonathan Cooper is the top guard in the last two years, go for it and explain why.

villagewarrior 09-27-2012 09:11 AM

This is a hard one. One thing I'll say about Jones, and you touched on it briefly, but he has played against superior competition and generally he has done very well. Not only that, but he has done so all across Bama's offensive line. But I also think that has held him back and will continue to do so as people try to nail down what his actual value is. Is he a guy who can come in an anchor the pivot, or can he take a guard spot or right tackle? Or is he at his best as the 6th man that can take a spot on the fly?

I picked other because I'd have loved for the Chiefs to take either, and because I haven't seen enough of the other guys to know for sure that I like them better than Jones. And DeCastro is super high on my board still. I like big, ugly, physical maulers on the offensive line.

SolidGold 09-27-2012 12:37 PM

I like Jones slightly more than DeCastro - the fact he can play all over the line really makes him appealing. He has played at a high level no matter where he is asked to play. Basically his versatility makes him more valuable as a prospect.

TACKLE 09-27-2012 12:43 PM

Other.

I said it during last season and I'll say it again this year, Chance Warmack is the best offensive lineman in college football. Probably my favorite player in college football to watch. He's not a great athlete and might only be 6'2 but he's just so dominant and has proven himself time and time again against top DT prospects (Logan/Brockers x 2, Cox, Devon Still, etc) that I'm gonna stick with him.

Between DeCastro and Jones, the fact that he can play all 5 positions across the O-Line ups Jones's value for sure but I think DeCastro is a better actual guard prospect that Barrett.

keylime_5 09-27-2012 01:14 PM

I was under the impression that Chance Warmack was better than both of them (shrugs)

Trogdor 09-27-2012 01:20 PM

Other - Warmack for the reasons listed above.

If asking solely between the other two I'll take DeCastro given a full year of S&C.

Don Vito 09-27-2012 01:39 PM

I love warmack too, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them to be honest. It has already been mentioned that his physical attributes may work against him ala josh beekman or Rodney Hudson, but I think he will be a better pro then both of them. I think the only real issue is his height, he is strong, fundamentally sound, and is way more athletic than people are giving him credit for if you ask me. As far as the.2 bama guys and decastro it is tough for me to separate them, but all important SEC competition carries even more weight for interior OL than other positions. DeCastro is a stud but it comes down to the Bama guys for me, and as a pats fan I would take jones because of his experience all over the line since we could use help anywhere. Can't go wrong with any of them though.

FWIW I am a huge Zeitler fan as well.

Shane P. Hallam 09-27-2012 01:46 PM

I'll still take Decastro over Warmack or Jones.

Mufasa 09-27-2012 02:09 PM

I think at the time of the draft I had DeCastro a little higher, but I'm thinking Kevin Zeitler is going to be the best

ATLDirtyBirds 09-27-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3131261)
Other.

I said it during last season and I'll say it again this year, Chance Warmack is the best offensive lineman in college football. Probably my favorite player in college football to watch. He's not a great athlete and might only be 6'2 but he's just so dominant and has proven himself time and time again against top DT prospects (Logan/Brockers x 2, Cox, Devon Still, etc) that I'm gonna stick with him.

Between DeCastro and Jones, the fact that he can play all 5 positions across the O-Line ups Jones's value for sure but I think DeCastro is a better actual guard prospect that Barrett.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 3131288)
I was under the impression that Chance Warmack was better than both of them (shrugs)

^^^^. Warmack>DeCastro>>Jones.

descendency 09-27-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3131261)
Other.

This is what I was going to say.

rawdawg 09-27-2012 07:22 PM

DeCastro almost easily. I like Barrett Jones a lot. But he kind of reminds me of Stefan Wisnewski a few years ago. You knew he was going to come into the league and be a solid NFL OG for 10-12 years. I feel the same way about Jones. But DeCastro (and guys like Warmack, Maurkice Pouncey) has a shot to be among the league's elite. Nothing's wrong with a solid starter for a long time. But DeCastro has a much higher ceiling than Barrett Jones.

jdhommert 10-09-2012 08:16 PM

I'm a total noob, but why isn't Jones thought of as a LT as well? CBS/here has him as an OG. Was he not totally dominant last year? Did he not totally shut down the LSU DE/line in the BCS game last year? I wasn't that high on Jones until I watched his highlights from that game. Guy was a freaking wall at LT. Very intelligent guy too.

Could he not start in the NFL as a LT...soon...and be damn good at it??

ph90702 10-09-2012 08:28 PM

Barrett Jones - future New England Patriot.

Matthew Jones 10-09-2012 08:52 PM

David DeCastro is a far more dominant guard than Barrett Jones. I can appreciate Jones' intelligence, versatility, and pedigree, but he's not even the best interior lineman on his own team.

jdhommert 10-09-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph90702 (Post 3145332)

I seriously think EVERY mock has him going there lol

duesouth 10-11-2012 07:20 AM

I went for other - who is Kevin Zeitler. I was in the minority last year as I liked him better than DeCastro. Main reason was that DeCastro spent too much time on the ground IMO - over extended and off balance. Zeitler much better in that respect.

Jones isn't as good as DeCastro and indeed I would put others ahead of him in the interior line class this year - Warmack and Cooper have already been mentioned in the thread - but also Dallas Thomas of Tennessee, guy has elite pass protection technique and a really nice initial punch - he has experience at LT too, so Jones isn't the only versatile prospect.

descendency 10-11-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph90702 (Post 3145332)

I'm happy with him or Chance Warmack. I think both could be great for NE. Both would likely play RG (Barrett Jones might play center).

wicket 10-11-2012 02:58 PM

warmack would be my pick. decastro would be 2nd, cordy glenn 3rd. Jones is a great prospect but partially because of versatility

killxswitch 10-11-2012 03:14 PM

I voted DeCastro before I read more closely. I think I like Warmack the most as a prospect. I do wish he was a bit taller but I don't think it's going to matter.