Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The Nutrition Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54110)

Forenci 10-10-2012 11:58 PM

The Nutrition Thread

I know we have a General Fitness thread, but I feel it gets too fragmented as its mostly related to lifting weights/what type of supplements to use/etc. Not to mention all the times we discuss it in the RDT thread.

Talk about anything related to diet, health food, nutrition, etc since there are plenty food threads out there.

I know most of them are terrible for you, but are there any solid protein/on the run bars out there? I've seen a few organic ones that were mostly veggies but I've given up sugar now and most of them have added sugar in some shape or form.

I'm just looking for something for both after lifting/exercising, as well as when I don't have time to eat breakfast in the morning and have class.

Taste isn't a big concern for me either. If it tastes good, I'll be happy, but I can tolerate something that doesn't taste awesome.

vidae 10-10-2012 11:58 PM

bro do u even lift

Forenci 10-10-2012 11:59 PM

bro u kno i lift hard.

Caddy 10-11-2012 12:05 AM

MetSox17 10-11-2012 12:09 AM

One every day bruh.

Raiderz4Life 10-11-2012 12:10 AM

Doesn't get a whole lot better than that yo.

I don't like their normal fries. Animal style plz.

RufusMcDaniel 10-11-2012 12:10 AM

Bugs are good for you, I try not to eat too much because people frown upon it. But like dogs and cats eat bugs and those animals are pretty fast and athletic.

tjsunstein 10-11-2012 12:46 AM

You dont have to be hardcore to take vitamins. Multis and fish oil ftw.

Raiderz4Life 10-11-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsunstein (Post 3146491)

Multi and fish oil is what I'm taking.

niel89 10-11-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsunstein (Post 3146491)

I take a multivitamin for the sole purpose it make my pee yellow. Health benefits are secondary.

Forenci 10-11-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 3146452)

Bacon and Eggs diet. I say do it.

Razor 10-11-2012 02:44 AM

I focus a lot on what I eat. I still eat the occasional pizza, chocolate bar or burger, but in general I eat pretty healthy. I know this is going to rub some people the wrong way, but I always try to eat organic to the extend that I can afford it. I don't like to eat something that I know has poison on it. You can wash it, but it doesn't remove the pesticides and herbicides completely. When it comes to meat my gf and I try to eat lots of different cuts, including some of the less popular such as shank (lamb or calf), meat from the neck of the ox and such. They're a lot less cheap, taste better but also requires some work before the meat is tender.

When putting together a meal I usually consider the amount of calories that's in it. For that purpose I use this website, but use it at your own discretion. Some of the numbers just aren't right... The modern term for how I eat is quite paradoxically stoneage food. I cut back on starch (potatoes, pasta, rice and bread) and sugar, and focus on fresh vegetables instead. When we eat pasta it's wholegrain, and we only eat brown rice. It's really not that hard to avoid starch when you think about it.

The result? I can't do much sport because of a groin injury I suffered some five years ago. I eat pretty much what I want and I drink, but I manage to keep my weight below 200 lbs at 6'1". Also, I'm almost never sick. My gf is also in good shape despite her addiction to chocolate. I can't wait to get a job so my gf and I can start looking at houses. That way I can start growing my own vegetables, and maybe also chickens and geese too..

Caddy 10-11-2012 03:03 AM

This turned into the Hippie Thread fast.

Razor 10-11-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 3146564)
This turned into the Hippie Thread fast.

Just to make sure I understand this: Eating healthy = being a hippie. Riiight...

Nalej 10-11-2012 08:18 AM

I started to eat healthier a several months ago.
I mainly eat burgers, bacon and sausage made from turkey now.
A lot of chicken breast and the occasional steak.
Brown rice and whole wheat / grain bread as well.
I've included more fish like Tuna, Salmon and Talapia.
Clif Bars, almonds and whole wheat peanut butter crackers make up the majority of my snacks.
Though I still love me some scoops and salsa con queso.
For sweets, I go on YouTube and found recipes for protein cheesecakes, pumpkin pies, etc.
Oh, and I use Stevia now instead of regular sugar.

With that alone, I lost over 10 lbs and dropped over about 5% in body fat. (according to a picture guide)

Nalej 10-11-2012 08:37 AM

It's like watching a butterfly spread its wings for the first time. I'm so proud!

brat316 10-11-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 3146591)
Just to make sure I understand this: Eating healthy = being a hippie. Riiight...

No. Eating organic and growing ur own goods amid having. Livestock is hippie.

Razor 10-11-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 3146612)
No. Eating organic and growing ur own goods amid having. Livestock is hippie.

Nope, that's having a hobby. I already grow my own chilies and tomatoes... It's fun.

BloodBrother 10-11-2012 11:36 AM

When I first started lifting/eating healthy I would count my calories daily and figure out how much protein/carbs/fats I was getting. That got old real fast and became a bit of a chore, but it at least taught me the basics so now I can just guestimate what I'm getting.

Luckily for me, I'm not a picky eater(I don't even mind brussel sprouts!). I just make sure to get a bit of everything with every meal. Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner I'm eating some form of meat + smart carbs. Breakfast is mostly protein shakes though since I'm too lazy/tired to cook in the morning

lots of lean meats/poultry. Big fan of fish with tuna being the cheap great source. Snacks for in between the 3 big meals are usually nuts/fruits/more protein shakes. I've eradicated chips/cookies/soda from my lifestyle. I'll cheat on holidays by having a cookie or 2, but that's it. I havent' had a legit soda/chips for years. I avoid fast food as much as possible these days as well.

perfect dinner for me is a good cooked chicken breast/steak with brown rice and broccoli/cauliflower mix with melted cheese on it. Boom

brat316 10-11-2012 11:56 AM

Carbs and sugar are bad. Right rob. ? Just eat fat and protein and starve haha. Outermost everything has carbs and sugar in it.

Forenci 10-11-2012 11:57 AM

I'm surprised we haven't heard from our resident nutritionists in Rob and ATL yet.

scottyboy 10-11-2012 11:59 AM

i had oatmeal this morning nom nom nom.

that is all

Forenci 10-11-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 3146713)
meh, carbs are fine. just don't be a jackass when you're eating them. anyone who tries to cut things out of their diet based solely on the kind of thing it is, is an idiot. fruit? carbs. veggies? carbs.

Agreed. I hate people who try to make carbs out to be the devil. If you want to gain the MANY benefits from various fruits/veggies you're going to have consume some carbs.

Just don't go nuts with them.

MetSox17 10-11-2012 12:26 PM

mmmm high fructose corn syrup

Razor 10-11-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forenci (Post 3146715)
Agreed. I hate people who try to make carbs out to be the devil. If you want to gain the MANY benefits from various fruits/veggies you're going to have consume some carbs.

Just don't go nuts with them.

You have to take the human body into consideration here. Unless you're a complete ******* moron you know that humans have evolved from monkeys over time. That means that we were originally foragers who later on learned to hunt. It was in the hunter/gatherer stage of development where our bodies evolved pretty much to what they are today. So the perfect diet is something close to what our ancestors would eat. Lots of meat, berries and fruits when they're available and dairy products. They weren't available to our ancestors, but since we are generally lactose tolerant dairy products are good for you too.

Carbs are really bad in every respect. There are very few if any species on this planet that would eat barley or wheat or some other variety naturally. These carbs go straight into the bloodstream and create sugar, which has all sorts of adverse effects on the body and mind. Whatever carbs you need you would get from the fructose in fruit and vegetables.

I'm not trying to come off as a massive douche bag or seem like some kind or born again stoneage man. Heck, I don't even follow the stoneage diet. But I try to incorporate as much as possible of it into my diet since we now know that what we're eating today is killing us and the nature around us. I don't see any advantage in eating carbs other than the fact that they take away your hunger. They have some positive effects in their most natural state, but as soon as you cook them they are the devil as you put it.