Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Lions Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Javid Best did not pass his concussion test. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54164)

Brothgar 10-16-2012 11:20 PM

Javid Best did not pass his concussion test.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/art...a-7d2b2478f357

Quote:

The Lions learned Monday that running back Jahvid Best has not been given clearance to return to the practice field from independent neurologists, which leaves both his season and career in jeopardy.

"After today's consultation with medical experts, including representatives from our medical and training staffs, it has been determined that Jahvid will not be permitted to return to play at this time," Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew said in a statement.

"Throughout this entire process we always have placed the highest priority on what is best for Jahvid from a health and safety standpoint," Mayhew continued.

"While today's decision is disappointing from a football perspective, we fully and entirely respect and support this recommendation."

Best said last week he wouldn't consider retirement if he wasn't cleared for a return, though.

"No," he said. "Then we'll have to sit back down and have more discussions and see where we can go from there."

Mayhew affirmed those remarks in his statement today.

"Jahvid will continue to work with our medical and training staffs with the hope that he ultimately will be cleared to return to the playing field," he said.

Though it doesn't appear that will be this season after his latest setback, the window hasn't closed yet, according to Lions head coach Jim Schwartz.
Damn that sucks

BRAVEHEART 10-16-2012 11:58 PM

Better he walk away as healthy as possible.

WMD 10-17-2012 12:16 AM

BillySims 11-14-2012 05:11 PM

I wonder if the NFL will hold with 2 Concussions as the standard. If so, Rogers in GB is 1 away, Cutler in Chi is 1 away, several super stars have already had more than 2. So, why is the NFL hell bent on making Best the Concussion poster child? I think they want Best to sue the League so that he will say, under oath, that there is nothing wrong with him. Then he will be allowed to resume his career.

Silver & Blue 11-14-2012 09:14 PM

I am actually glad they are holding Best out for the rest of the year. I personally thought he should retire after the last one he had because he honestly has very little to gain by playing again and a lot to lose. It wouldn't surprise me if he actually did retire at the end of the season because it would be the best(no pun intended) thing for his long term health. Hopefully hes just staying on the team long enough so that he can collect some good benefits when he retires. I'll definitely miss his big play ability though.

Maybe This Year Mayhew 11-15-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver & Blue (Post 3182477)
I am actually glad they are holding Best out for the rest of the year. I personally thought he should retire after the last one he had because he honestly has very little to gain by playing again and a lot to lose. It wouldn't surprise me if he actually did retire at the end of the season because it would be the best(no pun intended) thing for his long term health. Hopefully hes just staying on the team long enough so that he can collect some good benefits when he retires. I'll definitely miss his big play ability though.

Yeah he was a good player last year and pre-turf toe 2010. In the 7 games without turf toe he really shined and really helped the Lions make the playoffs(88 yard run plus 40 yard run against Bears on MNF(10 points) and 60 yard screen at Minnesota(7 points). Bears win on MNF, Bears make the playoffs last year.

I will always remember him for that for sure. Plus the 2010 game against the Eagles was sick. At least the Lions know going into next offseason, this year they were kind of stuck not knowing and didn't go after a speed back, though Bell and LeShoure are doing some good things, just not 20 yard + plays.