Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Panthers fire GM (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54212)

JPF 10-22-2012 09:10 AM

Panthers fire GM
 
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-marty-hurney/

jrdrylie 10-22-2012 09:21 AM

Probably deserved. He signed three running backs to deals adding up to $18 million a year in a passing league. He's had terrible picks in Jimmy Clausen, Armanti Edwards, Everette Brown, Jeff Otah, and Dwayne Jarrett. 2011 third round pick Terrell McClain isn't even on the team anymore. And he had a history of trading away future picks for draft picks, most of whom busted.

Bulldogs 10-22-2012 09:44 AM

He was pretty terrible.

vidae 10-22-2012 09:46 AM

He was awful. I have a friend who is a huge Panthers fan who is pretty damn happy right now.

JPF 10-22-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3159756)
He was awful. I have a friend who is a huge Panthers fan who is pretty damn happy right now.

I'm a Panther fan and I'm freaking ecstatic!

I've been wanting him gone for YEARS!

JPF 10-22-2012 09:55 AM

There's a few people I already have on my wishlist to be his replacement...what are you guys thoughts on a replacement?

Giantsfan1080 10-22-2012 09:59 AM

Marc Ross from the Giants will probably be a candidate in the offseason. I hope he doesn't leave though.

ShutDwn 10-22-2012 10:03 AM

Hallelujah!

The drafts from 2009 to 2011, outside of Cam Newton have been crippling to this team. He was really only good at picking LBs or RBs in the first round (5 of last 7 first rounders). Positions that aren't hard to find in the later picks and aren't typically far and away more talented than those found later on.

That, and the fact that they payed the RB duo so much only to use them as decoys. Williams had two carries yesterday.

This is only step one. They have to bring in someone who won't be a puppet for Richardson and doesn't give away money. We need a moneyball GM right about now.

Here's a good article for those who want read about the genius of Hurney:http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...competent-best

This won't change their performance on the field though. I'm not sure if I want them to win if it means Rivera keeping his job because of some late season surge to achieve a lesser draft pick. They'll need everything they can get to be attractive to a GM. Whoever steps in gets the joy of cutting DeAngelo and having ton of dead space.

LonghornsLegend 10-22-2012 10:06 AM

I'm guessing he's the one responsible for trading a future 2nd round pick for what was like 3 years in a row? Armanti Edwards, Everette Brown, and somebody else I'm missing?

AntoinCD 10-22-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPF (Post 3159764)
There's a few people I already have on my wishlist to be his replacement...what are you guys thoughts on a replacement?

I think a combination of Mike Holmgren and Josh McDaniels could be the way to go

jrdrylie 10-22-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend (Post 3159774)
I'm guessing he's the one responsible for trading a future 2nd round pick for what was like 3 years in a row? Armanti Edwards, Everette Brown, and somebody else I'm missing?

I'm pretty sure he traded a future first for Brown. Maybe Otah too, I don't quite remember.

Rosebud 10-22-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 3159768)
Marc Ross from the Giants will probably be a candidate in the offseason. I hope he doesn't leave though.

I think Norwegian's onto something, we should start rumors that Ross isn't just black, but rudy cool and black, that way he'll never get hired away from the giants!

JPF 10-22-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend (Post 3159774)
I'm guessing he's the one responsible for trading a future 2nd round pick for what was like 3 years in a row? Armanti Edwards, Everette Brown, and somebody else I'm missing?


Traded a future first to move into the first and take Otah.

Then traded a future first to move into the second and take Brown.

Then traded a future second to move into the third and take Armanti.

Needless to say, Panther fans already question the chances of Frank Alexander amounting to anything since he traded a future third to get an extra fourth to take Alexander.

Smash28Dash34 10-22-2012 10:15 AM

I thought 2-14 was bad. This feels like armageddon.

Scotty D 10-22-2012 10:17 AM

Lets Julius Peppers walk. Give ass loads of cash to everyone else. Good job.

jrdrylie 10-22-2012 10:25 AM

Did Marty Hrney pick this sweater? If so, that probably played a big part in his firing.


ShutDwn 10-22-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty D (Post 3159784)
Lets Julius Peppers walk. Give ass loads of cash to everyone else. Good job.

Pretty sure Julius was just done being a part of the Panthers. Which is still Hurney's fault.

Hurney's firing is probably a warning that Rivera is on the hotseat. He's done nothing but lose here. I can't understand why some Panther fans defend him. I'm never surprised when they collapse.

LonghornsLegend 10-22-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPF (Post 3159782)
Traded a future first to move into the first and take Otah.

Then traded a future first to move into the second and take Brown.

Then traded a future second to move into the third and take Armanti.

Needless to say, Panther fans already question the chances of Frank Alexander amounting to anything since he traded a future third to get an extra fourth to take Alexander.

Yea Otah was the other guy, and I forgot about Alexander. It was like they were playing catch up from every single one of these moves.

Cigaro 10-22-2012 11:30 AM














Cigaro 10-22-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDwn (Post 3159797)
Pretty sure Julius was just done being a part of the Panthers. Which is still Hurney's fault.

Hurney's firing is probably a warning that Rivera is on the hotseat. He's done nothing but lose here. I can't understand why some Panther fans defend him. I'm never surprised when they collapse.

I was on the fence about him up until this most recent game, and in particular Cam's quotes afterwards;

Quote:

“The past couple games have been playing like the same script, with the same director, and it’s getting kind of boring,” he said. “It’s always coming down to the end when we have opportunities to score points, finish them … and offensively we’ve got to convert.”

...

“There were ample opportunities for us to capitalize and do what we do,” Newton said. “I sound like a broken record, but this vibe, I’m not buying it, man. And I don’t know what it is, but something’s going to have to change.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...rustration.ece
Cam is all but directly calling out Rivera, whether he is aware of it or not. And he's correct, IMO. Because I am getting quite tired of watching this teams performance, and then seeing Rivera just standing silently doing nothing on the sidelines as it all unfolds in front of him.

ShutDwn 10-22-2012 12:08 PM

I don't know if those are comments at Rivera or Chud. Probably both.

It's just a sad team. Nobody is buying into Rivera's philosophy.

Cigaro 10-22-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDwn (Post 3159860)
I don't know if those are comments at Rivera or Chud. Probably both.

It's just a sad team. Nobody is buying into Rivera's philosophy.

I could see the first part of the quote pertaining to Chud, but the last two sentences seem to directly implicate Rivera. Regardless, like you said its just a pathetic situation. But with Hurney gone, I am assuming Rivera is being kept simply until the end of the season for some vain attempt at stability.

Polamalu_is_God 10-22-2012 12:12 PM

Hope this makes Cam happy, because he's been lookin real suicidal thus far. V. Young 2.0

Unbiased 10-22-2012 12:18 PM

What's the point of doing this when we're not even halfway through the season? They can't get an outside replacement until the end of the season. Do they have someone who can fill in for the 9-10 games they have left?

Polamalu_is_God 10-22-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unbiased (Post 3159876)
What's the point of doing this when we're not even halfway through the season? They can't get an outside replacement until the end of the season. Do they have someone who can fill in for the 9-10 games they have left?

Does it matter? Throw gms for draft position at this point.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.