Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Who Does Tyler Wilson Compare To? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54240)

KCStud 10-24-2012 07:50 PM

Who Does Tyler Wilson Compare To?

Love this kid. He's got all the tools and he's been through hell and back.

Who is his NFL comparison? I've heard people say Matt Ryan, but I'm not sure that's completey accurate.

Thoughts?

Matthew Jones 10-24-2012 07:53 PM

Honestly, maybe Gabbert? That may just be because of the spread offenses and preemptive scrambling though. Maybe he'll turn out better but who knows. Barkley is far more like Matt Ryan.

keylime_5 10-24-2012 08:11 PM

He doesn't have the size of Gabbert or Ryan. Those guys are like 6'4"/6'5" and really big. Wilson is like 6'1" or 6'2" with a good arm, maybe similar to Christian Ponder or a much shorter Philip Rivers without the funk ass delivery.

Freshlete 10-24-2012 09:42 PM

Rivers meets Cutler = Tyler Wilson

norcalgsr 10-24-2012 09:58 PM

I've heard him compared to Kurt Warner.

fenikz 10-24-2012 10:10 PM

I can see Warner, he is no where near as frantic as Gabbert and is a much better passer.

TACKLE 10-24-2012 10:14 PM

Brett Favre.

keylime_5 10-24-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshlete (Post 3162640)

that would make him a super asshole though :D

y.f.s. 10-24-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3162680)
Brett Favre.

What he said.

y.f.s. 10-24-2012 10:56 PM

edit: double post

y.f.s. 10-24-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3162519)
Honestly, maybe Gabbert? That may just be because of the spread offenses and preemptive scrambling though. Maybe he'll turn out better but who knows. Barkley is far more like Matt Ryan.

There are so many things wrong with this post I have no idea where to begin. There is nothing similar about them as prospects. Or their college offenses.

SickwithIt1010 10-24-2012 11:53 PM

I see a Favre or Cutler type QB in him as well.

Brown Leader 10-25-2012 12:01 AM

Tony Romo (10)

norcalgsr 10-25-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3162519)

Landry Jones looks more like Gabbert to me.

Vikes99ej 10-25-2012 01:13 AM

Cam Newton.

Mufasa 10-25-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikes99ej (Post 3162807)
Cam Newton.

Tyler Wilson is white, dummy.

Babylon 10-25-2012 11:43 AM

David Carr.

SolidGold 10-25-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Leader (Post 3162766)
Tony Romo (10)

He reminds me of Romo as well. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys drafted him in the first round if he is available where they are picking. Romo is getting a little long in the tooth and the subject of constant criticism for not being able to win in the post season.

Wilson is obviously the QB at Jones Alma mater so I think that could have an impact on how the Cowboys view him. The way this season ends up could be an interesting character study of Tyler Wilson - he seems to be handling the adversity well - showing good leadership traits, playing well and giving 100% effort. Those can only help him going down the road. Jay Cutler was a QB on a losing SEC team and he was still drafted high due to his arm strength and ability to keep his team competitive. As long as Wilson does that I think he deserves a first round grade and he does not come off like a prick like the aforementioned Cutler.

Trogdor 10-25-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3163035)
He reminds me of Romo as well. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys drafted him in the first round if he is available where they are picking. Romo is getting a little long in the tooth and the subject of constant criticism for not being able to win in the post season.

Wilson is obviously the QB at Jones Alma mater so I think that could have an impact on how the Cowboys view him. The way this season ends up could be an interesting character study of Tyler Wilson - he seems to be handling the adversity well - showing good leadership traits, playing well and giving 100% effort. Those can only help him going down the road. Jay Cutler was a QB on a losing SEC team and he was still drafted high due to his arm strength and ability to keep his team competitive. As long as Wilson does that I think he deserves a first round grade and he does not come off like a prick like the aforementioned Cutler.

Since his alma matter counts there must be a long list of prospects Dallas has drafted that hail from Arkansas right? No. There's one: Felix Jones. That's right about 250 picks now under his tenure and 1 came from Arkansas. Stop perpetuating statements like that. -_- Bad enough the talking heads do it come draft time lets not fall into the same realm of stupidity.

Next you'll tell me Jerruh loves his skill position guys...

Quote:

Only 20% of the Cowboys' total draft picks from 1992-2011 are offensive skill position players, the second lowest value in the league.

In the first three rounds of the draft from 1991-2011, the Cowboys spent only 16.1% of their draft picks on skill position players. This is the lowest value in the league.

On topic though :) I see Warner or short, normal delivery Rivers. Not sure he has the crazy quick release to get the Romo comparison.

D-Unit 10-25-2012 02:09 PM

Tyler Wilson = John Elway

ok, not quite... but it made me think.

SolidGold 10-25-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor (Post 3163133)
Since his alma matter counts there must be a long list of prospects Dallas has drafted that hail from Arkansas right? No. There's one: Felix Jones. That's right about 250 picks now under his tenure and 1 came from Arkansas. Stop perpetuating statements like that. -_- Bad enough the talking heads do it come draft time lets not fall into the same realm of stupidity.

Next you'll tell me Jerruh loves his skill position guys...

On topic though :) I see Warner or short, normal delivery Rivers. Not sure he has the crazy quick release to get the Romo comparison.

Ok my bad man. Has he really been in a position to draft a highly ranked Arkansas QB? He could of had Mallet but I think they were still happy with Romo but like I said two years later and Romo is two years older.. I know they need some o-line help especially on the interior but drafting a QB is not completely out of the realm of possibility even if it is to groom him to start in a year or two.

Trogdor 10-25-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3163189)
Ok my bad man. Has he really been in a position to draft a highly ranked Arkansas QB? He could of had Mallet but I think they were still happy with Romo but like I said two years later and Romo is two years older.. I know they need some o-line help especially on the interior but drafting a QB is not completely out of the realm of possibility even if it is to groom him to start in a year or two.

No worries just hate some of the myths that float through the community. I personally don't see us drafting a QB unless Romo takes a sharp dive. We have Orton as a fill-in if that era arrives early. I think it's more likely we'll target a mid or late rounder as a project.

Definitely in the realm of possibilities :D

rawdawg 10-25-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshlete (Post 3162640)

I actually think this is pretty accurate.

Scott Wright 10-26-2012 07:27 PM

Surprised I didn't see Christian Ponder mentioned but perhaps I missed it.

I think Wilson and Ponder are very similar from both a physical tool and skill set perspective.

toussaud 10-27-2012 09:26 PM

Tony romo is the perfect analogy all the way down to demeanor. not great size, above avg but not great arm, pretty accurate, good not great athlete. is a bit of a gunslinger.

he's more accurate than ponder. much more accurate. that's not a good analogy.

being an arkansas fan i have seen way too much of mr. wilson. the only real flaw in ihs game from my standpoint is he doesn't go through all his progressions. but usually when he wants to get to ball to a certain place, he can do it with the best of him.

now our o line is crappy so that might account for some of him not going through all his reads. if i had a really good o line i don't see wilson not being an above avg starter int he nfl /borderline pro bowl type player. but if he doesn't have a line he will get eaten alive beucase some of the reads he makes now just arne't going to cut it