Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Marcus Lattimore Likely Done Until 2014 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54268)

Cigaro 10-27-2012 12:31 PM

Marcus Lattimore Likely Done Until 2014
 
Felt like I should go ahead and report this here, but Marcus Lattimore has injured his right knee(he tore the left ACL last year). It looks broken, similar to McGahee's injury at Miami. At a minimum he's done for this year and will likely still be recovering throughout next season, possibility that he may never play again. Just a gruesome injury.

The injury;


PossibleCabbage 10-27-2012 12:32 PM

He's done for the season. He's probably not going to be able to participate in the various postseason all-star games, the combine, or his senior day. That was as bad of a knee injury as I've seen since McGahee. (EDIT: On watching the footage several times against my better judgement, it may be worse than McGahee's injury.)

I really feel bad for him, since he already had the knock for being "injury prone". Now he's just "injured".

thebow305 10-27-2012 12:36 PM

Just a terrible injury, you could see his leg turned the opposite direction as the defenders piled off of him. Really gotta feel for the guy, one of my favorite prospects this year regardless of position. Definitely was the top rated RB in my book for the 2013 draft. Just a terrible thing to see. Made me absolutely sick to my stomach.

Like PossibleCabbage said, one of the most gruesome sports injuries I've ever seen. Right there with the McGahee injury for sure.

DcmRulz 10-27-2012 12:57 PM

This was a gruesome injury, and a speed-robbing one, but I don't think it's a career ender. He's still got one year left, and I still think he's talented enough to at least carve a niche as a 3rd down back in the next level, speed or not.

AntoinCD 10-27-2012 12:58 PM

This is just horrible for him. I think he was likely a fringe first round kinda guy with how he had been playing after the ACL last year, but this horrendous injury may make him undraftable. It's a bad thing since Steve Spurrier has basically run him into the ground for 3 years and he may never become an NFL player now because of it

Hurricanes25 10-27-2012 01:02 PM


Halsey 10-27-2012 01:10 PM

I feel bad for Lattimore, Gamecock Nation, and teams in need of a RB in the 2013 Draft. That sucks.

Halsey 10-27-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3164416)
This is just horrible for him. I think he was likely a fringe first round kinda guy with how he had been playing after the ACL last year, but this horrendous injury may make him undraftable. It's a bad thing since Steve Spurrier has basically run him into the ground for 3 years and he may never become an NFL player now because of it

So now we should criticize a coach for using a star RB heavily? Does that mean you feel the same way about any college team that gives lots of carries to one RB?

WMD 10-27-2012 01:21 PM

So very ****** up. That sucks.

Matthew Jones 10-27-2012 01:22 PM

This has to be one of the worst running back classes of all time.

Cigaro 10-27-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3164416)
This is just horrible for him. I think he was likely a fringe first round kinda guy with how he had been playing after the ACL last year, but this horrendous injury may make him undraftable. It's a bad thing since Steve Spurrier has basically run him into the ground for 3 years and he may never become an NFL player now because of it

This injury had nothing to do with Lattimore being run into the ground. He's been used a lot less(only 3 carries vs. Florida compared to 44 in 2010, for instance) this season, averaging only 18 carries, which is a completely reasonable workload.

Halsey 10-27-2012 01:30 PM

It seems like injuries like this happen more to taller RBs such as Lattimore, Mcgahee and Adrian Peterson.

BeerBaron 10-27-2012 01:37 PM

Couldn't bring myself to watch the injury. I remember seeing McGahee's live when it happened and I get sick at serious knee/leg injuries like that ever since.

Part of me wonders if he should just come out now anyway and at least start collecting pay checks as a mid-round pick. McGahee still went in the first round after his injury and sat for a year. I don't think, with how the RB has been on a downward slope in terms of value, that Lattimore would go in the first, but would some team spend a 3rd round pick on him and let him rehab a year? I think so.

vidae 10-27-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3164445)
Couldn't bring myself to watch the injury. I remember seeing McGahee's live when it happened and I get sick at serious knee/leg injuries like that ever since.

Part of me wonders if he should just come out now anyway and at least start collecting pay checks as a mid-round pick. McGahee still went in the first round after his injury and sat for a year. I don't think, with how the RB has been on a downward slope in terms of value, that Lattimore would go in the first, but would some team spend a 3rd round pick on him and let him rehab a year? I think so.

I'm the same way, but unfortunately for me I saw it as it happened. You definitely don't want to see it.

LonghornsLegend 10-27-2012 01:57 PM

Why are we all assuming that his career is over? Willis McGahee is still playing like a really good back in the NFL and Clinton Portis retired like a year ago, and I don't remember Portis having any gruesome knee injuries before.


He's young, this is a terrible hit to his draft stock but he's still going to be playing in the NFL.

Thecollegedropout 10-27-2012 01:59 PM

I think I can speak for some Jets fans that if the Jets were picking in that 15-20 range that we'd have zero problem for drafting Lattimore as he was what we needed but after this injury, I just don't think he can warrant a 1st round pick or a high pick :( Maybe someone does what BUF did and take him regardless but he might be too dinged up.

Maybe he warrants a mid round pick?

Cigaro 10-27-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend (Post 3164464)
Why are we all assuming that his career is over? Willis McGahee is still playing like a really good back in the NFL and Clinton Portis retired like a year ago, and I don't remember Portis having any gruesome knee injuries before.


He's young, this is a terrible hit to his draft stock but he's still going to be playing in the NFL.

His other knee injury. In the space of two years he suffered serious, season ending injuries in both knees. He certainly could come back, he's a very hard and motivated worker, but one can't be surprised if he never recovers fully either. Its not that he would be completely incapable of playing, but that he wouldn't be able to play at near a high enough level to make it.

Thecollegedropout 10-27-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3164445)
Couldn't bring myself to watch the injury. I remember seeing McGahee's live when it happened and I get sick at serious knee/leg injuries like that ever since.

Part of me wonders if he should just come out now anyway and at least start collecting pay checks as a mid-round pick. McGahee still went in the first round after his injury and sat for a year. I don't think, with how the RB has been on a downward slope in terms of value, that Lattimore would go in the first, but would some team spend a 3rd round pick on him and let him rehab a year? I think so.

I really think RBs for their own good need to start coming out ASAP to the draft...especially when the longevity for a back is around 10 years or less.

RB is the only spot where I can say that you are on borrowed time compared to other positions and that you need to cash in while you still can. Its why I don't hold it against someone like Forte or MJD for trying to rake in while they can.

ChiFan24 10-27-2012 02:10 PM

My knee started hurting after watching that video.

PossibleCabbage 10-27-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3164435)
This has to be one of the worst running back classes of all time.

I think this is the year we see no first round RBs. Sad that it had to happen this way, but it was going to happen eventually.

Thecollegedropout 10-27-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 3164477)
I think this is the year we see no first round RBs. Sad that it had to happen this way, but it was going to happen eventually.

I think S. Taylor will squeak in late round 1 and someone like NYJ or CIN will trade up with whoever to get him ala Doug Martin/Jahvid Best.

BuddyCHRIST 10-27-2012 02:18 PM

Looked like he definitely broke bone there too, thats Prothro like to me. Such bad luck, cause its just a freak injury.

AntoinCD 10-27-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3164437)
This injury had nothing to do with Lattimore being run into the ground. He's been used a lot less(only 3 carries vs. Florida compared to 44 in 2010, for instance) this season, averaging only 18 carries, which is a completely reasonable workload.

I wasn't meaning the workload caused him to get hurt, these injuries can happen to anyone on any carry. However my point is in what equates to less than two NFL seasons Lattimore has had 616 touches of the football. That tread on his tires combined with two really bad injuries may well finish his career. I know people talk about McGahee etc, however those types of players are definitely the exception to the rule.

I do hope i am wrong because pre injury last year he looked like a complete RB prospect, however it will be a long shot now to have any real career, particluarly early on

therock6000 10-27-2012 02:32 PM

Definitely a moment that i will remember exactly where i was when it happened...

ph90702 10-27-2012 02:42 PM

Replace "season" with "career." His career is probably over.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.