Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54286)

KCStud 10-29-2012 12:55 AM

A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama

What if he declares this year? He could possibly go first overall right? He's like 6'4" 215, should be at least 220 by the combine. Anyway here's his stats. I kinda like him.

CAREER STATS
SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2012 122 177 1684 68.9 9.51 85 18 0 16 182.4
2011 219 328 2634 66.8 8.03 69 16 5 13 147.3
2010 30 48 389 62.5 8.10 47 3 0 2 151.2

georgiafan 10-29-2012 07:47 AM

Don't see him leaving and will prob get hurt as being a product of the coaching and talent around him and might even get the game manger tag

Halsey 10-29-2012 09:58 AM

NFL teams don't write off every major college QB because they have talent around them. If that were the case, no QB from Alabama, Texas, Florida, etc would ever get drafted. It's not like those schools recruit blue chip talent at other positions and then go sign leftovers at QB.

My major concern for McCarron is that he doesn't look as big and strong as you'd like an NFL QB to be. He's skinny and doesn't appear to have great physical tools. His ceiling appears to be 2nd round to me.

bucfan12 10-29-2012 10:09 AM

I don't see NFL starter. Very good intangibles and smart but a lot of his throws just lack the necessary arm strength needed to be an nfl starter. Think good back up.

FUNBUNCHER 10-29-2012 11:12 AM

Great developmental guy. I could easily see him over time potentially becoming a starter.

jrdrylie 10-29-2012 11:37 AM

He certainly doesn't have the strongest arm in the world, but he isn't Kellen Moore either. I don't think he has any less arm strength than a guy like Christian Ponder. He has good accuracy (although a lot of times his guys are wide open so it isn't too hard), touch, and decision making. Zero interceptions through 8 games is damn impressive, I don't care how well your line blocks or how open your guys are.

I'm not sure he has good enough tools to go in the first round. But I do think he is somewhere in the Andy Dalton-Kirk Cousin range, so 2nd-3rd round sounds about right for him.

Shane P. Hallam 10-29-2012 11:38 AM

The more I watch, the more impressed I become. I agree, he is more in the 2nd round range right now.

bucfan12 10-29-2012 11:48 AM

I think Matt Flynn is a perfect comparison.

SolidGold 10-29-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3167140)
I think Matt Flynn is a perfect comparison.

I think McCarron is more physically gifted - he is bigger with a better arm and I think he has room to add more bulk to his frame. Flynn is more mobile and is probably more nimble on his feet but McCarron is more accurate/better arm strength.

Every season he has improved and it seems Alabama is letting him become more than a game manager in the Greg McElroy/John Parker Wilson mold. They are becoming a more balanced offense whereas in the past they were predicated on the run. McCarron's development is giving the offense a consistent aerial threat.

Honestly this year's crop of senior QBs has become somewhat underwhelming with Barkley, Smith and Wilson all faltering to some degree. He probably could declare and be a 2nd/3rd rounder but I think if he stays and plays well next season he has a shot at the first round.

Razor 10-29-2012 01:55 PM

In a world where Weeden is a first round selection AJ McCarron should be as well. The best thing for him would be going back to school though...

MassNole 10-29-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 3167258)
In a world where Weeden is a first round selection AJ McCarron should be as well. The best thing for him would be going back to school though...

Not really fair to compare a system QB to a pro style QB.

Scott Wright 10-29-2012 02:42 PM

I have a little anecdote about McCarron.

A few years ago down in Mobile, AL at the Senior Bowl I was at one of the South practices and there was a fireman / e.m.t. standing near me. We began talking and he told me about his son, who was going to be playing quarterback at Alabama. Turns out it was A.J. McCarron. Then a year or two later I was back at the Senior Bowl doing a radio interview on one of those tricked out buses outside of the stadium before the game. Low and behold the other guest who was on with me was McCarron. Needless to say it would be kind of neat to actually be covering him in the Senior Bowl next year!

As far as a pro prospect, I think McCarron is probably a notch above John Parker Wilson and Greg McElroy but probably not as good as Brodie Croyle coming out of the same program. Looks like a mid-round pick who could develop into a solid backup at the next level one day.

Cigaro 10-29-2012 02:51 PM

I'm a fan. I think he has the tools necessary to start in the NFL. He doesn't strike me as a guy who can be asked at the pro level to carry a team alone to greatness, but I do think that with proper coaching he has the potential to be a reliable starter. Dalton is a comparison I like. I'd have to go with second/third round at the moment. First seems a bit much, although if he stayed another year and showed further improvement a later selection in that round seems possible.

ph90702 10-29-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3167298)

A few years ago down in Mobile, AL at the Senior Bowl I was at one of the South practices and there was a fireman / e.m.t. standing near me. We began talking and he told me about his son, who was going to be playing quarterback at Alabama. Turns out it was A.J. McCarron. Then a year or two later I was back at the Senior Bowl doing a radio interview on one of those tricked out buses outside of the stadium before the game. Low and behold the other guest who was on with me was McCarron. Needless to say it would be kind of neat to actually be covering him in the Senior Bowl next year!

As far as a pro prospect, I think McCarron is probably a notch above John Parker Wilson and Greg McElroy but probably not as good as Brodie Croyle coming out of the same program. Looks like a mid-round pick who could develop into a solid backup at the next level one day.

Spot on...........

CashmoneyDrew 10-29-2012 10:34 PM

He beats Bray out in the godawful tattoo category.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 10-30-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

What makes a QB a "solid back up"?

Scott Wright 10-30-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 3168188)

Ha.

I would say Good intangibles so that they still prepare properly and will be ready at a moments notice. Often times guys who project as long-term backup quarterbacks are a little more limited from a physical tools perspective as well. Basically someone who you wouldn't be comfortable starting for long stretches but who can come in and get the job done in a pinch.

MassNole 10-30-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 3168188)

Frank Reich like qualities.

Smart player with average physical attributes who understands his team's system and plays within that system. Some backup QBs have the tendency to press a little too hard when they get the chance to play and try to force throws, almost as if auditioning for their next job. I think if you are looking for someone in the Frank Reich mold, A.J. McCarron is as close as you'll ever find.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 10-30-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3168417)
Ha.

I would say Good intangibles so that they still prepare properly and will be ready at a moments notice. Often times guys who project as long-term backup quarterbacks are a little more limited from a physical tools perspective as well. Basically someone who you wouldn't be comfortable starting for long stretches but who can come in and get the job done in a pinch.

What prevents a "solid backup" from being a starter?

ph90702 10-30-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 3168853)
What prevents a "solid backup" from being a starter?

Not being able to play well on a consistent basis.

Saints-Tigers 10-30-2012 11:20 PM

Smart, less talented guys usually are good backups also because after they learn the system, it's like having another coaching voice, especially if he has good rapport with the starter.

Smart,physically talented guys usually go on to be starters.... hard to keep in a backup role, lol.

San Diego Chicken 10-31-2012 01:14 AM

When I think of a good backup, I think of guys like Jeff Hostetler, Steve Young (pre-1992), Doug Flutie, and in the current NFL someone like Chase Daniel, Shaun Hill or even Tebow. Someone who might be a little bit unconventional but makes things happen. I don't think a backup QB should just be a bland system guy, because what's the point? You've already conceded that he isn't better than your starter, so he should bring something extra to the table outside of your base offense. Just my opinion anyway. To me McCarron actually profiles as a solid NFL starter. Honestly wouldn't be shocked if he's drafted late first or higher.

Mufasa 10-31-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

not as good as Brodie Croyle

Ouch. So basically stay away from him.

Brent 11-02-2012 07:19 PM

comes to mind

Iamcanadian 11-03-2012 02:17 PM

A career backup type at best and a mid rounder for me. He's got 3 potential 1st round OL prospects and is pretty clean on every passing play with nobody getting close to him. Anybody can look impressive playing behind that OL.