Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Marqise Lee = Dez Bryant (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54302)

StudentBodyLeft 10-30-2012 03:02 AM

Marqise Lee = Dez Bryant

without the issues but just 2 inches shorter at 6'0.

Lost in the shuffle of USC's loss to Arizona this weekend was perhaps the greatest receiving performance in CFB history.

16 receptions 345 yards 2 TDs.

PROS:
-Run after catch ability is off the charts. Might not be a 4.3 guy, but his football speed and acceleration in the first two steps are what make him special.

-Jumpball and leaping ability is well above average. Made NCAAs in track and field in the long jump.

CONS:
-Can have suspect hands at times. Drops easy passes in between making great catches.

-Height isn't ideal at 6'0 but has a long limbs that can still add more weight to an already compact frame.

In summary, while Robert Woods has received high praise, there's a reason why Lane Kiffin thinks Lee could be the best USC receiver of all time.

villagewarrior 10-30-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StudentBodyLeft (Post 3168110)
without the issues but just 2 inches shorter at 6'0.

Lost in the shuffle of USC's loss to Arizona this weekend was perhaps the greatest receiving performance in CFB history.

16 receptions 345 yards 2 TDs.

PROS:
-Run after catch ability is off the charts. Might not be a 4.3 guy, but his football speed and acceleration in the first two steps are what make him special.

-Jumpball and leaping ability is well above average. Made NCAAs in track and field in the long jump.

CONS:
-Can have suspect hands at times. Drops easy passes in between making great catches.

-Height isn't ideal at 6'0 but has a long limbs that can still add more weight to an already compact frame.

In summary, while Robert Woods has received high praise, there's a reason why Lane Kiffin thinks Lee could be the best USC receiver of all time.

You didn't mention the single most important aspect to a receiver's game: how are his routes?

Punisher 10-30-2012 09:20 AM

If you do a comparison between Dez and anybody you have to mention off the field trouble. Lee is clean.

Also, Lee reminds me more of a shorter T.O. than Dez Bryant in terms of ability. Lee is so strong after the catch, and he throws corners regularly.

"-Jumpball and leaping ability is well above average."

-This is an understatement. Lee's best ability is jumping on the run and adjusting to the ball like a basketball player and keep running.

y.f.s. 10-30-2012 02:56 PM

descendency 10-30-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y.f.s. (Post 3168382)

descendency 10-30-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagewarrior (Post 3168178)
You didn't mention the single most important aspect to a receiver's game: how are his routes?

Unless you have access to USC film, it's really hard to judge routes, because only the good routes get shown on TV, generally.

StudentBodyLeft 10-30-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher (Post 3168185)
If you do a comparison between Dez and anybody you have to mention off the field trouble. Lee is clean.

Also, Lee reminds me more of a shorter T.O. than Dez Bryant in terms of ability. Lee is so strong after the catch, and he throws corners regularly.

"-Jumpball and leaping ability is well above average."

-This is an understatement. Lee's best ability is jumping on the run and adjusting to the ball like a basketball player and keep running.

Did you see my first comment saying he's Dez Bryant without the issues?

Also, comparing Lee to T.O. essentially amounts to the same thing as comparing him to Dez Bryant, as Bryant was compared to T.O. coming out. All three have similar playing styles.

And yes, I agree that I shouldn't have been as conservative about the jumpball comment. But I actually think his best attribute is really RAC. He's the closest thing that USC has had to Reggie Bush lately when the ball is in his hands. Elusive, yet fluid acceleration is the only way I can describe his running style.

keylime_5 10-30-2012 04:24 PM

I wonder if the Sammy Watkins/Marqise Lee combo in 2014 will end up being better than the AJ Green/Julio Jones combo of 2011.

In regards to the OP, it's hard to get a good comparison on Lee. Not many top WR prospects are only 6'0" tall and I don't think we've seen one that short go top 5 in like forever - but he certainly should be the next (same with Watkins, who is only 6'1").

TACKLE 10-30-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 3168488)
In regards to the OP, it's hard to get a good comparison on Lee. Not many top WR prospects are only 6'0" tall and I don't think we've seen one that short go top 5 in like forever - but he certainly should be the next (same with Watkins, who is only 6'1").

How about Torry Holt - both as a comparison for Lee and someone that size who went that early (he went 6th, technically not top 5 but still).

D-Unit 10-30-2012 04:35 PM

Marqise Lee = Marqise Lee

Comparisons between players suck cause there are always differences.

SickwithIt1010 10-30-2012 04:46 PM

Marquise is a helluva player, extremely physical and when he gets the ball in his hands there are few players who are as dynamic. You wanna get out of your seat everytime he gets his hand on it. He is only 6'0" which isnt typical of big time receiving prospects but teams will be drooling over him come draft time next year.

Will be interesting to see how he does next season with a new QB under center.

keylime_5 10-30-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3168503)
How about Torry Holt - both as a comparison for Lee and someone that size who went that early (he went 6th, technically not top 5 but still).

I could see that. Holt was the best receiver in the NFL for like 2 years about a decade ago (geez has it really been that long?)

Caulibflower 10-30-2012 06:00 PM

Marqise Lee = Jeremy Maclin? Part of me really wants to throw out a Michael Crabtree comparison.

villagewarrior 10-30-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3168386)
Unless you have access to USC film, it's really hard to judge routes, because only the good routes get shown on TV, generally.

True enough. Good point.

I get tickled when people call receivers around 6', 6'1 "average" height. Let's not forget the 6'3, 6'4 230 pound receivers are exceptions to the rule, true anomalies.

ChiFan24 10-30-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagewarrior (Post 3168178)

That's one of the most important aspects of a pro receiver's game, but I don't know why people place such an emphasis on it for college receivers. If he has the tools to run a crisp route, you can coach him up.

Lee seems to be pretty awesome, but I don't know about the Dez Bryant comparison. Maybe a rich man's Chris Chambers?

Taber21 10-30-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagewarrior (Post 3168610)
I get tickled when people call receivers around 6', 6'1 "average" height. Let's not forget the 6'3, 6'4 230 pound receivers are exceptions to the rule, true anomalies.

I don't think people are saying that 6'-6'1 is considered average height for receivers, but that to be considered a top 5 pick at WR, teams are looking for those 6'2+ WR's who, as you put it, are the exceptions.

Saints-Tigers 10-30-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

So you're saying that most guys in the NFL at WR are around the 6'-6'1 range? Isn't that... the definition of average?

It tickles me more when people take "average" with a negative connotation, or to mean BAD.

norcalgsr 10-31-2012 12:10 AM

I like the Maclin comp more than Bryant.

San Diego Chicken 10-31-2012 12:45 AM

What's the story with Farmer? He barely plays and he was supposedly the best pro prospect of those 3 WR's coming out of Serra HS.

SickwithIt1010 10-31-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken (Post 3168982)
What's the story with Farmer? He barely plays and he was supposedly the best pro prospect of those 3 WR's coming out of Serra HS.

Had tons of hamstring problems since he got there but has caught on a little bit lately.

DraftSwag 10-31-2012 04:16 PM

How can you compare Marqise Lee to Dez Bryant????????? Marqise Lee is almost 30 pounds lighter than him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you wanna compare him to anyone in the NFL right now thats playing at a high level I think you would have to say Victor Cruz or maybe Antonio Bryant. Dez Bryant is a completely different type of player. C'mon MANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rawdawg 10-31-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftSwag (Post 3169313)
If you wanna compare him to anyone in the NFL right now thats playing at a high level I think you would have to say Victor Cruz or maybe Antonio Bryant.

Huh. Antonio Bryant's been out of the league for a few years now.

DraftSwag 10-31-2012 06:48 PM

My bad Antonio Brown. But Antonio Bryant was a beast too. LOL

StudentBodyLeft 10-31-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftSwag (Post 3169313)
How can you compare Marqise Lee to Dez Bryant????????? Marqise Lee is almost 30 pounds lighter than him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you wanna compare him to anyone in the NFL right now thats playing at a high level I think you would have to say Victor Cruz or maybe Antonio Bryant. Dez Bryant is a completely different type of player. C'mon MANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Lee is smaller than Bryant. I think we've already established that. But they do play with similar styles.

Lee plays big for his size. You also need to consider the fact that he has the frame to pack on more muscle. And he will.

Robcards 10-31-2012 07:15 PM

Not a fan of the Cruz comparison. Antonio brown is a good comparison though, smaller WR who runs good routes. He is way too small to be considered to be like Dez.