Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Disney buys Lucasfilms for 4 Billion; Star Wars VII in 2015 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54314)

Shane P. Hallam 10-30-2012 04:11 PM

Disney buys Lucasfilms for 4 Billion; Star Wars VII in 2015

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd

www.twitter.com/reuters

Thoughts?

ImBrotherCain 10-30-2012 04:13 PM

What the what!?

SuperMcGee 10-30-2012 04:15 PM

Tell me this is a Beggars' Night prank.

Shane P. Hallam 10-30-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperMcGee (Post 3168402)
Tell me this is a Beggars' Night prank.

If so, Disney is messing with everyone. From the link above from their site:

"Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future."

ryno626 10-30-2012 04:18 PM

jrdrylie 10-30-2012 04:20 PM

I've never really been a Star Wars fan, but I can't see this ending well.

ImBrotherCain 10-30-2012 04:21 PM

Well there was supposed to be 9 originally.

comahan 10-30-2012 04:31 PM

So, assuming it isn't even in pre-production yet, they expect to put out this movie in 2.5 years, basically alongside the next Avengers movie? Okay.

Vikings4ever 10-30-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain (Post 3168408)
Well there was supposed to be 9 originally.

And Luke & Leia originally weren't related.

Prowler 10-30-2012 04:32 PM

Anybody who thinks that this is a bad thing is completely out of their mind. George Lucas is terrible at executing his vision. The company that just put out the Avengers and has rebuilt Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc now has access to an even bigger fan-base. This is great news.

This gives us a shot at KOTOR, The Force Unleashed, or a new Trilogy. Also, with Lucas only serving as consultant and Disney running the show, the odds of us ending up with Gungans and killing off the best characters just went way down.

Now that I think about it...this has got to just be a way for them to green light the long time in development TV show. They already have 100 episodes written, they were just too costly for TV. Now, they can make a billion dollars with one movie, and then air the other episodes on Disney or ABC and sell a ton of toys. Literally all of the prep work was pretty much done for 100 episodes, so that's like 70 hrs worth of movies.

slightlyaraiderfan 10-30-2012 04:34 PM

I'd sell my baby for 4 bil.

redbills 10-30-2012 04:36 PM

Watched the first Star Wars started the 2nd got bored and turned it off.

D-Unit 10-30-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbills (Post 3168433)
Watched the first Star Wars started the 2nd got bored and turned it off.

Then I guess SOMEBODY missed Princess Leia's nip slip! :evil_laugh:

comahan 10-30-2012 04:43 PM

Im apprehensively hopeful, but I doubt it comes to fruition in 2015, unless theyve already been working on it for a while. Thats too short a time to start something as big as this from scratch.

redbills 10-30-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3168437)
Then I guess SOMEBODY missed Princess Leia's nip slip! :evil_laugh:

Really??? I'll look it up on YouTube lol.

Prowler 10-30-2012 04:49 PM

I almost guarantee that it'll just be the first few episodes of the tv show, but the Episode VII thing is throwing me off.

George Lucas's post RotJ movie notes were only like stuff written on the back of 2 napkins while eating at Denny's. He seriously just makes the crap up right before the movie. The TV show is supposed to take place between the prequels and the original trilogy during the rise of the Empire.

Da-Phins 10-30-2012 05:02 PM

Good God, are they seriously wanting to make more Star Wars movies? I just dont know about it. I mean if they can actually get good actors to play the parts then I might come around to it but errrrr.

Hell, we all might be complaining but we will still be eager to see the films.

On that note, I'm not a hard core fan so I dunno the plot after episode 6. What is to be expected after that? Luke has a kid? Does it focus on Luke more as a Jedi Master?

Da-Phins 10-30-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 3168446)
I almost guarantee that it'll just be the first few episodes of the tv show, but the Episode VII thing is throwing me off.

George Lucas's post RotJ movie notes were only like stuff written on the back of 2 napkins while eating at Denny's. He seriously just makes the crap up right before the movie. The TV show is supposed to take place between the prequels and the original trilogy during the rise of the Empire.

The Clone Wars is between episode 2 and 3. Unless there is another show I dont know about?

vidae 10-30-2012 05:12 PM

Anything that takes Star Wars out of the hands of Lucas is a-okay with me. The guy is a hack.

Pat Sims 90 10-30-2012 05:16 PM

This requires this.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

slightlyaraiderfan 10-30-2012 05:17 PM

oh, now star wars/lucas sucks huh.

Halsey 10-30-2012 05:22 PM

This made me sad at first, but then I remembered that nothing good has come from Lucasfilms in like 30 years.

Prowler 10-30-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da-Phins (Post 3168458)
The Clone Wars is between episode 2 and 3. Unless there is another show I dont know about?

Yep, there was a live action tv show that has been in development but never produced. They had a dozen or so writers along with Lucas make 100 episodes worth of scripts and plot outlines for like 300 episodes.

My guess is that ABC/Disney is getting serious about taking over TV and will launch an Avengers/Star Wars programming block in a couple of years. They probably want to get back to the days when people watched Heroes and non-reality tv shows that weren't on AMC, FX, HBO, or Showtime.

Or...it was rumored that Lucas was working on a new trilogy during the development of the tv show. I read one article that had absolutely zero evidence and nothing ever came out of it, but it said that some of the writers and concept artists were being used on a special side project that could be a new trilogy. Whether its a new trilogy to finance the tv show, or a few episodes, Disney is going to make a lot of money off of this deal.

Grizzlegom 10-30-2012 05:23 PM

I'll probably be in a minority but I'm pumped for this. Can't get enough Star Wars in my life. I agree with commie though, there's no way this gets released by 2015.

CashmoneyDrew 10-30-2012 05:25 PM

Does this mean there's a glimmer of hope for Star Wars: Battlefront 3? Someone please say yes.