Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54354)

AntoinCD 11-02-2012 07:26 AM

Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

I was actually surprised to look and not find a thread about this guy already. He is exactly the type of player who in my mind can make a huge leap up boards and become a really high pick.

Let's get the particulars out of the way first

6'7 241lbs. #96 for the Ducks and plays OLB for them.

Here's what I have seen from the guy.

He's a freakish athlete. I have seen him lined up at boundary CB at times and really doesn't look lost in man coverage against both WRs and TEs. Let me once again state - 6'7 241lbs!!! He does struggle a little IMO in zone coverage and doesn't break on the ball as fast as you would ideally want. When playing up close in coverage he gets a helluva jam on the receiver at times knocking them way off balance and disrupting timing.

His motor is absolutely amazing. He is never out of a play. He knows how to play down the line of scrimmage to chase down ball carriers before they can get much past the line of scrimmage. He can also set the edge with his long arms.

My biggest issue with Jordan, and it is the one issue that may keep him from going really high, is he is an inconsistent pass rusher. At times he can dip and bend under the OT and get by for the sack. However on way too many occasions I have seen him single blocked by a RB.

I also question his fit at the next level. Does he have the core strength to play down end? I really doubt it unless he really bulks up. He could be a nice fit for a 34 team at OLB who put a lot of value into being able to do more than simply rush the passer. They don't need another OLB but Jordan would fit well in KC for instance, or in New England when they were running their 34 set.

However I think he may be best suited to playing a similar role to Mathias Kiwanuka with the Giants. This guy is a good enough athlete to play LB in a 43. With the growth in usage of multiple TE sets he is strong enough to play in the run game while also athletic enough to disrupt timing and run with TEs.

Overall I would give Jordan a solid late first round grade right now, however I think he will move up by April based on the amount of things he can do well and his freakish size and upside

Don Vito 11-02-2012 08:04 AM

I am a very big Dion Jordan fan. Obviously you want to see him bulk up a little but he is a freak who could project to a variety of different roles at the next level. I definitely think he will be a first rounder this year.

Oregon has some crazy talent on their roster. Jordan, Lyerla, Thomas, Armstead, Barner, Long, and I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

FUNBUNCHER 11-02-2012 10:05 AM

Is there one thing he's really proficient at, or is he just the college version of NE Pat's Mike Vrabel??

villagewarrior 11-02-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3170651)
Is there one thing he's really proficient at, or is he just the college version of NE Pat's Mike Vrabel??

I've not seen anything that he is a standout in. What you like about Jordan is the potential to be a stud all-around linebacker, but so far I don't think he has put it all together. I agree that late 1st, early 2nd is probably where he'll go.

y.f.s. 11-02-2012 11:30 AM

He is my favorite player in this draft. IMO you ask him to gain some weight (I have a feeling he's going to come into the SR Bowl/Combine at 260ish anyways) and have him play fulltime DE.

Oregon uses him all over the place to take advantage of his freakish athleticism (I've seen him press slot WRs and jam them at the line like it's nothing), but his future is in rushing the passer IMO.

killxswitch 11-02-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3170651)

Nothing wrong with him at all as a prospect if he plays like Mike Vrabel. I hated that guy.

FUNBUNCHER 11-02-2012 11:38 AM

I hated Vrabel too.
Especially in the redzone as a TE.

AntoinCD 11-02-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3170700)
Nothing wrong with him at all as a prospect if he plays like Mike Vrabel. I hated that guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3170708)
I hated Vrabel too.
Especially in the redzone as a TE.

See that's interesting because for some reason I really liked Vrabel

:banana:

killxswitch 11-02-2012 12:07 PM

I guess I liked Vrabel when he stood there like a doofus while Marvin Harrison spiked the football off the ground in into his facemask.

AntoinCD 11-02-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3170739)
I guess I liked Vrabel when he stood there like a doofus while Marvin Harrison spiked the football off the ground in into his facemask.

That's just mean

bucfan12 11-02-2012 12:20 PM

This guy reminds me a lot of Jason Pierre Paul coming out. Freakishly athletic, huge frame, and developing pass rushing skills quite nicely.

He does everything for Oregon on defense. Rushes the passer from OLB and DE, plays the run exceptionally well, and drops back into coverage.

He needs to add bulk to his 6'7 243 lb frame. I think that won't be that far of a challenge, as it's not like Aaron Maybin's 6'2-3 frame.

Definately reminds me of JPP and will probably shoot up to mid 1st round.

killxswitch 11-02-2012 12:32 PM

I would not say he has a bad build at all, but he definitely will need to put on some more muscle, especially in the lower body. Demarcus Ware is pretty much the standard for all other OLBs to live up to, and is 6'4 255. So I'd imagine 6'7 265ish would be a good weight for Jordan. He needs to get on the Clay Mathews weight gaining plan.

Docta 11-02-2012 12:37 PM

If anyone's going to pass on him because of his weight, they don't deserve him. Unless he's an extreme ectomorph, he'll put on that muscle.

y.f.s. 11-02-2012 12:45 PM

Good pad level and hand usage setting the edge.

Trying to flatten out around the edge. He does a pretty good job, but this is the one concern I have for him - being able to drop his hips and skim around the OT.

At Boundary CB.

Over the slot WR.

He more than holds his own in coverage, too. It's like Julian Peterson crossed with a (very young) Simeon Rice.

AntoinCD 11-02-2012 12:51 PM

I really love the guy. I would just be worried that if people think they are going to be getting a 15 sack per year, JPP-type guy then they will be disappointed. Some of the best things about his game aren't things fans really notice.

You through up a few pics of him at CB. Even if he doesn't end up covering the guy the whole way he nearly decleats them by jamming them. I also love how he uses those long arms and doesn't let blockers get into his body.

I think he could be a real good one who may never get the credit he deserves because his strong points don't end up in the box score

y.f.s. 11-02-2012 12:52 PM

Yeah, his jam on WRs at the LOS is absolutely lethal because of that hand strength and long arms.

I'm interested to see if they use him at all to try and disrupt Lee/Woods at the LOS. Dunno though, because his shoulder is apparently jacked up. Hasn't practiced all week.

FUNBUNCHER 11-02-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3170764)

It would be so awesome to see a 6'7,230#-240# cornerback!:banana:

TACKLE 11-02-2012 02:32 PM

I've been a huge Dion Jordan fan since before the season and he's only continued to elevate himself in my eyes. He has the freakish length/athleticism/flexibility/motor to be a great pure pass rusher but what stands out when you watch him is how good of a all-around football player he is. An argument could certainly be made that he's is the most well-rounded defensive player in this draft.

These two plays sum up what Dion Jordan is all about. First play we see his edge rushing ability. Great get off and shows very impressive flexibility for a guy that tall. Ends up turning the corner and beating the OT cleanly for a sack. Second play, we see him drop off in coverage at 5-10 yards depth. He then points out and identifies the crossing route, correctly passes it off, stays disciplined in his zone which allows him to be in position to make a difficult/awesome 1-on-1 open field tackle vs an athletic QB. Guys with that frame shouldn't be able to make those plays and those who can are very rare.

I really believe that if he can get up near 260 and tests as well as his tape would indicate, he can/will be in the mix for being first defensive player taken in this draft.

PossibleCabbage 11-02-2012 03:54 PM

I'm really wondering if that 6'7" is his accurate height, or it's just an exaggeration left over from when he played TE. Colleges have been known to add a couple of inches to the heights of WRs and TEs for the program or media guide.

I suppose I'll find out at the combine if not sooner.

descendency 11-02-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 3170925)
I'm really wondering if that 6'7" is his accurate height, or it's just an exaggeration left over from when he played TE. Colleges have been known to add a couple of inches to the heights of WRs and TEs for the program or media guide.

I suppose I'll find out at the combine if not sooner.

Doesn't look 6'7" based on the YT video above. 6'5" looks closer to accurate... or Oregon has a ton of really tall players on their team.

SF Dolphin Fan 11-02-2012 05:45 PM

I can see him making a Bruce Irvin type leap up draft boards come April. Guy has some amazing talent. As a Dolphins fan, he reminds me a lot of Jason Taylor when he first came up. The question with Taylor was whether he could gain enough weight to make it through the season. I think that will be tough for Jordan simply because of his built. He's a guy that could end up around 230 by the end of the season. That said, he is a player and should go top 20.

JerseyTitan 11-02-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y.f.s. (Post 3170775)

Good pad level and hand usage setting the edge.

Trying to flatten out around the edge. He does a pretty good job, but this is the one concern I have for him - being able to drop his hips and skim around the OT.

At Boundary CB.

Over the slot WR.

He more than holds his own in coverage, too. It's like Julian Peterson crossed with a (very young) Simeon Rice.

Wow, he's like a chess piece. He can be moved all over the field.

prock 11-02-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3170764)
He needs to get on the Clay Mathews weight gaining plan.

???

Saints-Tigers 11-02-2012 07:07 PM

6'7 probably means 6'5. Really like him though.

descendency 11-02-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prock (Post 3171072)

???

That's the Brian Cushing workout program.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan (Post 3171048)
I can see him making a Bruce Irvin type leap up draft boards come April. Guy has some amazing talent. As a Dolphins fan, he reminds me a lot of Jason Taylor when he first came up. The question with Taylor was whether he could gain enough weight to make it through the season. I think that will be tough for Jordan simply because of his built. He's a guy that could end up around 230 by the end of the season. That said, he is a player and should go top 20.

Honestly, I don't see his particular skill set as being that valuable. He's not a great rusher. Coverage isn't nearly as valued (a good coverage backer can be gotten much later). His overall game definitely could make him a valuable LB, but if he's not an edge rusher, he likely won't command a top 20 pick - especially not with the volume of LBs that will be in this class.