Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54691)

villagewarrior 11-25-2012 02:16 AM

Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

I did a rudimentary search and couldn't find an answer, and I haven't started looking at him yet, so I'll throw this out at the board: Can Jake Matthews play left tackle?

Being stuck on the same line as Luke Joekel has relegated Matthews to the right side, but he passes the eyeball test in the few chances I've had to watch him play. He handled Mingo, but who hasn't? I've heard him described as the more physical between he and Joekel but I feel that is nitpicking Joekel more than anything. So I'm curious, what do you think?

TACKLE 11-25-2012 02:23 AM

I see no reason why he can't play LT and why he can't play it at a high level. It's very close, but I actually (slightly) prefer to Joeckel myself.

Cigaro 11-25-2012 02:24 AM

Probably not. That's not to say he couldn't play there in a pinch, but its not ideal for him. Premier right tackle prospect, but lacks the overall elite athleticism to stay there for the long term.

princefielder28 11-25-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3191190)
I see no reason why he can't play LT and why he can't play it at a high level. It's very close, but I actually (slightly) prefer to Joeckel myself.

I agree with everything stated here.

y.f.s. 11-25-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3191190)

I agree with this as well and wouldn't be surprised if a few NFL teams have Matthews as the higher rated player. Not to knock on Joeckel, either. They're both studs.

Babylon 11-25-2012 12:11 PM

Pretty much anyone named Matthews is going to be real good at the next level. Well maybe except Casey.

AntoinCD 11-25-2012 12:27 PM

I love Matthews. I have Joeckel higher but Matthews to me is still a top 10 player who will be drafted as a left tackle.

Duffman57 11-25-2012 12:55 PM

I've always liked Jake Matthews game. He's not a mauler, nor is he the best athlete, but he just does work. Perfect fit for a OT in a ZBS, great angle blocker, will work to sustain and will keep blocking reguardless of where the run goes. I dont necessarily see him as a traditional RT just due to the fact that he's not a bigtime run bloker, probably better in pass pro. I'd go out on a limb and say he's much better as a LT than a RT.

Babylon 11-25-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman57 (Post 3191351)
I've always liked Jake Matthews game. He's not a mauler, nor is he the best athlete, but he just does work. Perfect fit for a OT in a ZBS, great angle blocker, will work to sustain and will keep blocking reguardless of where the run goes. I dont necessarily see him as a traditional RT just due to the fact that he's not a bigtime run bloker, probably better in pass pro. I'd go out on a limb and say he's much better as a LT than a RT.

Totally agree. If i'm looking for a RT it's going to be a DJ Fluker. Give me Matthews and Joeckel at LT.

villagewarrior 11-25-2012 06:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've largely come to the same conclusion.