Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Tyrann Mathieu Entering 2013 NFL Draft (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54721)

GatorsBullsFan 11-29-2012 12:38 PM

Tyrann Mathieu Entering 2013 NFL Draft

Quote:

Former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu announced Thursday he is entering the next NFL draft.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...nter-nfl-draft

Don Vito 11-29-2012 12:45 PM

Really his only option right now. Someone will give him a shot.

Pat Sims 90 11-29-2012 01:08 PM

I would say the Bengals would give him a shot, but he does not have the size they like.

AntoinCD 11-29-2012 01:34 PM

Yeah I would be shocked if he isn't drafted but I don't agree with some of the hype that he is still a day 2 pick. I think if he had played this year he was a fringe 1st rounder, but when taking the off the field/maturity issues into the equation I would be surprised if he was drafted before the 5th

RCAChainGang 11-29-2012 01:44 PM

I'd say he is day 3. He is small, but he really plays big it is just sometimes that doesn't translate to Sunday. I know the Colts won't give him a shot for character concerns and I'm fine with that. As much as I love the Honey Badger. He did kinda let down LSU this year though.

descendency 11-29-2012 02:03 PM

he hasn't played football in a year. He'll be lucky to be drafted.

killxswitch 11-29-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3195201)

Way too early to say that. If he does well in predraft stuff he will get drafted at some point.

AntoinCD 11-29-2012 02:11 PM

Yeah a good offseason will see him comfortably drafted. Teams are willing to overlook transgressions if the guy can play.

It's also being well publicised nowadays that some teams view pot incidents like they view alcohol ones, however you have to question the guys maturity/love of the game.

That said, if he can show up at offseason work outs and the combine in great shape and blow people away then he will be drafted. However, if he is out of shape or has another drug-related offense then he probably won't be drafted

bigbuc 11-29-2012 02:39 PM

5-6 rounder

holt_bruce81 11-29-2012 02:53 PM

I think not playing for a year is being a tad overrated. If he has a good offseason, he's a 2nd day selection.

Docta 11-29-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3195201)

Didn't Robert Quinn, Marvin Austin, and Bruce Carter not play for a year when they got drafted? As long as he stayed in shape, he'll be fine.

No reason for a team not to take a chance on him in the 6th-7th if he's available.

Mufasa 11-29-2012 03:04 PM

All of his issues have just been weed related, right? In the NFL there'll be people who can teach him how to not get caught.

Scott Wright 11-29-2012 04:10 PM

This is yet another bad decision for the Honey Badger...

Much bigger character concerns than Janoris Jenkins that he hasn't begun to answer.

As always it only takes one team (Cincinnati Bengals!), but I can't see Mathieu going any earlier than the mid-to-late rounds and I wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted all together. I guarantee he won't even be on a lot of draft boards around the league.

jrdrylie 11-29-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mufasa (Post 3195253)
All of his issues have just been weed related, right? In the NFL there'll be people who can teach him how to not get caught.

Yeah, because NFL players NEVER get in trouble for smoking weed.

G Mobile 11-29-2012 04:44 PM

Janoris Jenkins was also a much better prospect on the field. Questionable skill set anyways and failing enough tests to get a SEC teem to kick off one of their best players = I'm not spending a pick on him.

bucfan12 11-29-2012 05:10 PM

Don't think he's as good of a prospect as Janoris Jenkins. Also, once Jenkins was booted from Florida, you really didn't hear much trouble.

Mattheiu got into big trouble shortly after his dismissal from LSU. Plus, he's not the talent that Jenkins was.

villagewarrior 11-29-2012 05:20 PM

You know, Honey Badger is a moron for smoking that K2 stuff because it is absolutely many times worse that weed. That said, I hope the Chiefs take him in the 4th and stick him at free safety. Some people can just ball, and the way he impacted games in so many different ways is a huge testimony to his ability as a football player.

Scott Wright 11-29-2012 06:06 PM

The thing with Mathieu is that he isn't very big or fast plus his off-the-field issues are ongoing, unlike Jenkins who was well over a year removed from last getting in trouble.

PossibleCabbage 11-29-2012 08:49 PM

Before he gets the opportunity to work out for scouts, I'd put him in the 7th-PFA range.

villagewarrior 11-29-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3195375)
The thing with Mathieu is that he isn't very big or fast plus his off-the-field issues are ongoing, unlike Jenkins who was well over a year removed from last getting in trouble.

This is true, and the continuing off field issues are troubling. The thing that really sets him apart though are his instincts. I can't think of a player that just had a knack for being where he needed to be and making a play like Mathieu did.

Ozzy 11-29-2012 10:10 PM

I agree with what has been said, Mathieu is not an elite athlete Jenkins was last year at corner and that will hurt him as a standard (troubled corner), but even Pac Man Jones was and is a better athlete overall than Mathieu is I feel.

The most pathetic thing is, the kid was going to come back and play at LSU next year, then got caught again for smoking after being on the cover of SI? Seriously one of the most ridiculous things I have seen in sports to be honest.

Sure he will get a shot, but the production and turnover creation he had is very unlikely to be reproduced. He is no Charles Tillman in terms of creating fumbles and clearly is not the physical athlete most great corners are.

However same things were said about Vontaze Burfict last year in terms of red flag issues, about his character and especially after he ran that slow 40 time. But he is doing just fine this year in the NFL, starting if I am not mistaken and he was undrafted.

So clearly it is up to the individual to turn things around and turn their attitude and or work ethic around. Some do, a lot do not, and very few do so consistently over a career not just having a few good seasons.

LonghornsLegend 11-29-2012 10:20 PM

I've always liked his game, if he is there in the middle of the 5th I'd want to take the chance on him. If he goes to a defensive scheme creative enough to move him around I think he can be a play-maker, and those guys are hard to find that late. Cheap enough deal to part ways if he gets in trouble too, of course he has a ton of liabilities but so does every prospect projected to go in the 6th-7th round.

Babylon 11-29-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3195303)
This is yet another bad decision for the Honey Badger...

Much bigger character concerns than Janoris Jenkins that he hasn't begun to answer.

As always it only takes one team (Cincinnati Bengals!), but I can't see Mathieu going any earlier than the mid-to-late rounds and I wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted all together. I guarantee he won't even be on a lot of draft boards around the league.

Jenkins checkered past looks much more of a red flag to me than Honey Badger's. Drugs, assault and fathering several children with several differant women. Mathieu looks to me as someone who likes to smoke dope and nothing more.

niel89 11-29-2012 11:01 PM

Its not that he just smoked dope. He smoked dope to the point that he got kicked off the team, got on the front page of SI about his struggles, and then smoked some more. Smoking isn't an issue. Smoking to the point that you lose everything is.

Scott Wright 11-29-2012 11:28 PM

LonghornsLegend: Just noticed my quote in your sig. :o) I stand by it! Cam Newton has already cost the Panthers GM his job and Ron Rivera is next on the chopping block.