Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Calvin Johnson record breaking pace (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54769)

LonghornsLegend 12-03-2012 12:18 PM

Calvin Johnson record breaking pace

I thought this was pretty cool:

Quote:

Calvin Johnson caught 13 passes for 171 yards with a touchdown in the Lions' Week 13 loss to the Colts.The Colts didn't have a viable plan for Megatron. They started with Cassius Vaughn on him, which had the look of a varsity stud playing against a freshman walk-on. They didn't jam him at the line and didn't roll many double teams, resulting in a 46-yard touchdown in the third quarter as Johnson ran right past Vontae Davis in zone coverage. The 13 catches are a career-high and he now has five straight 100-yard games. Most impressively, Johnson is on pace for 1,904 receiving yards. That would break the NFL record of 1,848, set by Jerry Rice in 1995. Johnson gets Tramon Williams and the Packers at Lambeau in Week 14. Dec 2 - 5:50 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4153/calvin-johnson

This is pretty amazing what we are seeing with Calvin Johnson. Think about who is there to take away double coverages, Titus Young didn't even dress, Burleson is injured and Broyles was injured in the first few plays. We are finally seeing how good he can become with a good QB finally.

Last year with the way he ended the year with a couple 200 yard games, I honestly don't think 2000 receiving yards is out of the question. I'm still not sure where to rank this season in terms of "greatest single season for a WR" because the 20+ TD marks are right up there too, but this is pretty unreal for a guy to be so close to breaking a record that has stood in place for so long, with no viable threat to occupy a defense.

brat316 12-03-2012 12:21 PM

I thought Randy Moss broke that record.

MetSox17 12-03-2012 12:22 PM

Randy Moss in 07 still takes the cake for me, but i'm loving what we're seeing out of Megatron. AJ Green has been ridiculous this year, and Megatron is still by far the number one WR in the NFL.

Oh, but i forgot he's only good in video games.

brat316 12-03-2012 12:23 PM

He should be having a ****** season for being on the cover of madden.

iowatreat54 12-03-2012 12:23 PM

What makes this even more amazing is how awful the Lions offense seemingly was and specifically how much Stafford pissed down his leg for the first half of the season.

vidae 12-03-2012 12:23 PM

I would like to have this football player on my favorite football team.

killxswitch 12-03-2012 12:27 PM

Glad the Colts could help the cause and still win. Megatron is a beast and a half.

boknows34 12-03-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 3199779)
I thought Randy Moss broke that record.

Moss broke Rice's record for most TD catches in a single season. Calvin needs 421 yds in 4 games to break the record which given his current form he looks likely to achieve. The Lions might as well do everything they can to help him break the record as they've nothing else to play for now. He is also the 2nd receiver ever with 5 consecutive games of 125+ yds.

RufusMcDaniel 12-03-2012 01:26 PM

Imagine the numbers he'd put up if Shaun Hill was the starter.

ImBrotherCain 12-03-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RufusMcDaniel (Post 3199859)

Mind = Blown :explode:

jrdrylie 12-03-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RufusMcDaniel (Post 3199859)

284 receptions, 22,000 yards, 284 TDs.

vidae 12-03-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3199873)
284 receptions, 22,000 yards, 284 TDs.

Yeah, per game.

Bengalsrocket 12-03-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetSox17 (Post 3199780)
Randy Moss in 07 still takes the cake for me, but i'm loving what we're seeing out of Megatron. AJ Green has been ridiculous this year, and Megatron is still by far the number one WR in the NFL.

Oh, but i forgot he's only good in video games.

I'm going to sound like a biased idiot to you, but AJ Green is still having the better year :P

I know Calvin has the record possibly coming, but Green is 5 touchdowns up on him and only behind 300 yards. Calvin also did this with 10 more receptions :P

Jvig43 12-03-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3199878)
Yeah, per game.

If I hadn't of just ******* repped you. hahahahahaha +1 to you good sir.

FUNBUNCHER 12-03-2012 02:23 PM

If CJ only has 10 more receptions than AJ Green but 300 more yards, that's a huger difference in production per catch. Personally I'd rather have the WR with the most TDs.

It's hard to compare WRs in a vacuum. I wonder what kind of numbers Calvin would have playing for the Bengals( without AJ Green), and if AJ Green was a Lion with Stafford throwing him bombs what would his stats look like??

AJ Green is a potentially an all-pro caliber WR, but he's nowhere near as physical and their long speed is not the same.

I'm going to cry today for Larry Fitzgerald. He may never have a real QB as long as Wisenhunt is the Cards OC. The guy lucked up into Kurt Warner and hasn't had a decent replacement since.

brat316 12-03-2012 02:25 PM

lions throw it 50 times a game, with 80% to cj

LonghornsLegend 12-03-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3199929)
It's hard to compare WRs in a vacuum. I wonder what kind of numbers Calvin would have playing for the Bengals( without AJ Green).

78/1300/12 with the likes of Orlovsky and Stanton throwing him the football on arguably the worst team in the entire history of the NFL.

Rosebud 12-03-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket (Post 3199886)
I'm going to sound like a biased idiot to you, but AJ Green is still having the better year :P

I know Calvin has the record possibly coming, but Green is 5 touchdowns up on him and only behind 300 yards. Calvin also did this with 10 more receptions :P

I don't think that's too homerish of you at all, both are having unreal seasons. 1a/1b type amazingness.

LonghornsLegend 12-03-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3199952)
I don't think that's too homerish of you at all, both are having unreal seasons. 1a/1b type amazingness.

I don't know if I agree with that. 1 person is about to break an NFL record that has been in place for some time, the other one is just having a really good pro bowl type of year. I don't think I'd classify it as 1a/1b and that's not to knock AJG at all.

Bulldogs 12-03-2012 03:04 PM

Adrian Peterson is also on the verge of 2000 rushing yards, which I thought was awesome.

Bengalsrocket 12-03-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend (Post 3199993)
I don't know if I agree with that. 1 person is about to break an NFL record that has been in place for some time, the other one is just having a really good pro bowl type of year. I don't think I'd classify it as 1a/1b and that's not to knock AJG at all.

But the yards don't mean anything if you don't score :P If the objective of the offense is to score and one guy is doing that, while the other is just racking up yards, I think the guy scoring is having the better season.

I don't think someone with 10 touchdowns and 0 yards would be having a better year than Calvin. But Green has pretty good yards and he has twice as many touchdowns.

If Calvin breaks the record, I might concede my point. Plus he has time to catch up in touchdowns. But if he doesn't score much more, I think Green will end up having the better year.

MetSox17 12-03-2012 03:23 PM

No one in the NFL is quite as physically dominant at their position as Megatron is at his. Only thing AJ has on CJ is touchdowns, and that's really more of a product of the Lions offense and how terrible Stafford has been for most of the year. TD production is NOT a problem with Calvin, just look at last year.

I think AJ has easily established himself as the #2 WR in the NFL, but to me Megatron will be #1 by a comfy margin as long as he's in his prime.

LonghornsLegend 12-03-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket (Post 3200019)
But the yards don't mean anything if you don't score :P If the objective of the offense is to score and one guy is doing that, while the other is just racking up yards, I think the guy scoring is having the better season.

I don't think someone with 10 touchdowns and 0 yards would be having a better year than Calvin. But Green has pretty good yards and he has twice as many touchdowns.

If Calvin breaks the record, I might concede my point. Plus he has time to catch up in touchdowns. But if he doesn't score much more, I think Green will end up having the better year.

Do you think AJG is having an all-time season that will be brought up when people talk about best single seasons for a WR ever? If not then I'm not sure why you'd be arguing this point.

Bert Macklin 12-03-2012 03:38 PM

And he had a slow start. Could easily be on pace for 2100 yards.

FUNBUNCHER 12-03-2012 03:45 PM

CJ is never single covered which you have to factor when considering the yardage numbers he's putting up.