Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Put my dog down (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54865)

Don Vito 12-10-2012 04:44 PM

Put my dog down

Not trying to be depressing but that was the most awful thing ever. I've lost some family and friends in various ways but this was at least just as difficult. We got her when I was in kindergarten and I just graduated from college, she lived a long happy life but holy **** am I going to miss her. Can't remember life without her. My parents went through a bad divorce and along with other trials and tribulations (relationships, deaths, life in general) she was always there. That is what everyone agrees is the hardest part, dogs are always there for you and she was no different. Left work early today and stayed with her all day just layed on the floor and watched TV for a few hours before bringing her to the vet. Can't even think about getting another dog since I've had her my whole life.

Sad, but that dog was a blessing. I will miss her terribly but can't say how happy I was to have her in my life. Can honestly say she was family to me and I will always remember her.

Brent 12-10-2012 04:49 PM

You made her life awesome and you will always have those memories. Be thankful for that.

vidae 12-10-2012 04:49 PM

I know what you're going through. I lost my cat a couple years ago, but I had him for 15 years. I grew up with him always being around and I still miss him like crazy to this day.

You are going to be sad for a while, but you had a best friend for a long time and so did she. You helped give her a great life and while it does really suck, remember the good times and be glad that you got to have a friend like her for as long as you did.

Now I'm all sad. I miss Sidney. :(

ImBrotherCain 12-10-2012 04:52 PM

I'm sorry man... I hate most people but I love pretty much every dog so I can understand being close.

Its no hidden fact how much I love my dog and I cannot imagine ever having to do that despite knowing that one day (hopefully in the distant future) its going to happen.

People always says "Mans best friend" but the fact is that most people don't understand how important a dog can be to a person. They are always there for you through thick and thin... They can be the biggest asshole, **** all over and destroy your **** but you can't stay mad at them.

I recently had a loss in my family as well and the only thing I could think about while away was how I wished I could be back home with my pup. I wish you the best of luck man. At least she isn't going to be suffering any more.

CashmoneyDrew 12-10-2012 04:59 PM

I lost my dog of 11 years just a couple of days before my first Christmas in college. I'm actually pretty stoic but I bawled that first day. Just stay strong. The first few days are the toughest. After that you'll basically just remember the good times and smile.

BucSquad 12-10-2012 05:06 PM

Sorry Man. My Grandparents had to put down their dog this past summer. I grew up with that dog and would always hang out with him when I visited. It's some emotional stuff especially when start to think about all the time you spent with your dog.

WCH 12-10-2012 05:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, man. I've never seen my sister sadder than she was when she put down her cat.

jrdrylie 12-10-2012 05:51 PM

Sorry man. I've lost two dogs in my life and it upset me just as much as when I lost my grandfather. They truly are like your family and friends but even more dependable because no matter what, they're always there for you.

Caddy 12-10-2012 05:59 PM

This is one of the only times when a man is allowed to cry.

Don Vito 12-10-2012 07:15 PM

I appreciate the words guys all of that is true and means a lot. Looking through old pictures right now and I think I might have to hold off On the pics til tomorrow. Too much too soon. Going to be the first time I wake up in the morning and know I don't have my dog back at my house in mass since I was 5, time to get blackout. Won't help but worth a shot.

holt_bruce81 12-10-2012 07:37 PM

Been there man, it's a tough thing to go through. Sorry to hear it

Grizzlegom 12-10-2012 07:43 PM

I know how you feel man, my dog died right after I finished college and I agree with many of you, that loss was probably the hardest I've ever had to deal with. I still have her collar on my desk. Stay strong man, sorry for your loss.

BloodBrother 12-10-2012 07:52 PM

Never gets any easier. Just went through a bad stretch where I had 2 of my dogs put down within the span of a year. One of them was a few months from being 16, so while it was hard....it's at least re-assuring that he lived a full life(for a dog). Our other dog was tougher, though. Was only 10 years old and in the span of like 3 weeks his health greatly deteriorated out of the blue. He had anemia, we got a blood transfusion done but sadly it didn't take. Turned out he had bone marrow cancer. Just sucked that he was completely fine and healthy one day and then in a few weeks it was over just like that and he was gone

CJSchneider 12-10-2012 08:53 PM

I'm sorry to hear this, chief. I think any guy here who has had to do the same to a childhood dog understands where you are at.

eaglesalltheway 12-10-2012 10:33 PM

Sorry to hear Don Vito, I just went through the same thing this fall, it sucks, and its rough, and there's nothing you can do about it sometimes. All I can say is it does get better, but hoping your dealing with everything ok for now.

killxswitch 12-10-2012 10:45 PM

That sucks bro. I'm sorry for your loss. I've lost a number of dogs which is probably part of the reason I don't want one now.

Ness 12-11-2012 02:19 AM

Your dog lived for a long time. Sorry for your loss. What kind of dog was it?

Don Vito 12-11-2012 05:54 AM

Toy fox terrier, shelter dog too

villagewarrior 12-11-2012 08:23 AM

Condolences. Losing a dog sucks and is at least on par with losing extended family. Those who've never owned a dog won't understand.

ncst8fan83 12-11-2012 08:53 AM

I feel your pain. It was on me to take our family dog to the vet to be put down a few years ago. One of the saddest days of my life. I'll never forget the face he made looking back at me before they led him to the back. I went home and cried like a ***** all day long. Tearing up right now remembering it.

With a family of my own now, I'm really not sure I want my kids going through that. At the same time, dogs are an awesome way to teach responsibility and how to tend to the needs of someone other than yourself. My wife and I gave our dog to my sister before my little girl was born and we kind of want her back now.

Sympathy and prayers for peace about your decision from my way. It's never easy making the decision to take the life of another living thing. It won't go away, but you'll start to remember all the crazy stuff she did and it'll bring smiles to your face.