Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   "DC" Scouting Reports (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Matt Barkley, QB, USC (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54867)

Scott Wright 12-10-2012 08:32 PM

Matt Barkley, QB, USC

Matt Barkley, QB, USC
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...tt-Barkley.php

Please feel free to join the discussion on this prospect!

vidae 12-10-2012 08:38 PM

Oh man, first scouting report of the year! It's draft season folks!

asdf1223 12-10-2012 08:51 PM

Yay! He's back. Glad to see these reports up early. Barkley's a polarizing prospect for sure and athletic Dalton isnt a bad comparison. Also, Pro-Style experience isn't something I would call a positive. Lane Kiffin's bajillion bubble screen offense is much more spread derivative and I would say hurt Barkley a bit.

Scott Wright 12-10-2012 09:05 PM

Initially my first thought for a comparison was Mark Sanchez but the more I thought about it Sanchez was more athletic and had more upside coming out. Not to mention it was a bit clichéd.

In my mind Barkley is a rich-man's Dalton and can similarly effective in a West Coast Offense.

nobodyinparticular 12-11-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3208149)

Matt Barkley, QB, USC
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...tt-Barkley.php

Please feel free to join the discussion on this prospect!

I have been waiting for this like a kid waits for Santa to come down the chimney.

Thank you Santa!!!

K Train 12-11-2012 01:46 AM

his pocket presense and overall release/awareness reminds me of brees a lot

Frisco$finest 12-11-2012 01:03 PM

I love this!! Been waiting all year for the 1st scouting report.

:banana:

soybean 12-11-2012 02:59 PM

Warriorz319 12-11-2012 03:28 PM

So glad to see the 1st scouting report out of the year, it means draft is finally getting ready to pick up again. With that said I don't agree with the 1st round grade on Barkley he is a great clip board guy but I don't see anything that indicates he will be a good NFL starter. I see him as more of a 3rd round Jimmy Clausen type guy (without the attitude), very little upside in Barkley and he lacks the arm to make any wow throws. Andy Dalton comparison seems a bit off I see more of a Mark Brunell type career for Barkley. Very Capable of winning a few games as a back up but as a starter will leave a lot to be desired despite his high football IQ. However, that is just my opinion.

Brent 12-11-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3208219)
In my mind Barkley is a rich-man's Dalton and can similarly effective in a West Coast Offense.

What's his ideal landing spot, in your opinion, Scott?

Scott Wright 12-11-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 3209326)
What's his ideal landing spot, in your opinion, Scott?

I think Arizona would be a GREAT landing spot for Barkley. Good weather so the arm strength wouldn't be an issue like it would in say Buffalo, a relatively talented team with some weapons like Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Beanie Wells / Ryan Williams, etc. Add Barkley to the equation and shore up the offensive line and the Cardinals would be cooking with gas.

farfromforgotten 12-11-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3209375)
I think Arizona would be a GREAT landing spot for Barkley. Good weather so the arm strength wouldn't be an issue like it would in say Buffalo, a relatively talented team with some weapons like Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Beanie Wells / Ryan Williams, etc. Add Barkley to the equation and shore up the offensive line and the Cardinals would be cooking with gas.

This was my first thought as well after reading Brent's post. Ideally, I see them trading back into the end of the 1st or the top of the 2nd to get him. Or do you think they have to take him in the top 10, Scott?

Scott Wright 12-11-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farfromforgotten (Post 3209389)
This was my first thought as well after reading Brent's post. Ideally, I see them trading back into the end of the 1st or the top of the 2nd to get him. Or do you think they have to take him in the top 10, Scott?

I think it will be a debate whether the Cardinals should go quarterback or offensive tackle in the Top 10. However, if Arizona feels like Matt Barkley or Geno Smith can be the guy they should pull the trigger and not play around. Just too important of a position to be looking for bargains.

Halsey 12-12-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farfromforgotten (Post 3209389)

Everybody wants to trade back and still get the player they want...

If Barkley is good enough to be their franchise QB, why would he still be available in the late first/early second? It doesn't appear there will be other top QB prospects pushing him down the board. It also doesn't appear QBs will stop being high valued. If Arizona thinks he's their guy, they should probably just get take him with the first chance they get.

Or they could just make another typical Arizona top 10 pick, and pass on a QB for some premier athlete who won't be able to help the team overcome their lack of a QB.

farfromforgotten 12-12-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsey (Post 3209694)
Everybody wants to trade back and still get the player they want...

If Barkley is good enough to be their franchise QB, why would he still be available in the late first/early second? It doesn't appear there will be other top QB prospects pushing him down the board. It also doesn't appear QBs will stop being high valued. If Arizona thinks he's their guy, they should probably just get take him with the first chance they get.

Or they could just make another typical Arizona top 10 pick, and pass on a QB for some premier athlete who won't be able to help the team overcome their lack of a QB.

I didn't say trade back.

Edit: well, what I meant was trading a future pick/picks to get back into the end of the 1st round/top of round 2.

SolidGold 12-13-2012 12:56 PM

Sanchez and upside should never be used in the same sentence.

Abaddon 12-13-2012 03:27 PM

I think I'd send Cleveland a late round pick for Colt McCoy before I'd drop a 1 on this guy. Matter of fact, I'm sure of it.

D-Unit 12-13-2012 07:11 PM

Dallas should take him. They've got time to groom him.

People fretting too much about his size and arm strength.

Menardo75 12-15-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 3211106)
I think I'd send Cleveland a late round pick for Colt McCoy before I'd drop a 1 on this guy. Matter of fact, I'm sure of it.

There's no need to disrespect Barkley like that.

kalbears13 12-16-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 3211106)

Those are weird words.

Colt McCoy has only proven that he's a solid backup quarterback and obviously hasn't shown anything special in practice to cause any controversy in Cleveland, where the starting quarterback is Brandon Weeden.

MidwayMonster31 12-19-2012 09:41 PM

Thanks to the new CBA, you no longer have to pay out the ass for early first round draft picks. However, you still have to commit the years and the coaches time depends a lot on said quarterback succeeding. You see what is going on in Minnesota, the Vikings are pretty much stuck with committing to Christian Ponder, even though the passing game might cost them a playoff spot. The reasons that I bring this up is that picking an early quarterback is still a franchise altering move. It all boils down to if Barkley is worth it?
As far as I know, here are teams options for the quarterback position outside of the draft:
Trade for Alex Smith
Sign Michael Vick
Trade for Matt Flynn
Trade for Kirk Cousins
Trade for Joe Webb

Flynn and Webb have outside shots of being traded, but it could happen. Granted that you still have to commit years to whoever you trade for, there are different circumstances that make it a little bit easier to cut bait with a veteran. Just like I've said plenty of times on this board, if you think the QB you target is your guy, get him and commit to him.

Abaddon 12-24-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalbears13 (Post 3213841)
Those are weird words.

Colt McCoy has only proven that he's a solid backup quarterback and obviously hasn't shown anything special in practice to cause any controversy in Cleveland, where the starting quarterback is Brandon Weeden.

And yet he'd be a cheaper version of Barkley. I just don't see this guy as someone worthy of a high draft pick.

Dangermouse 12-24-2012 10:39 AM

I think he'll be an average to good QB down the line. Sorta like maybe Josh Freeman, Dalton, etc

I'd nab him in the mid first but I do think he'll end up going higher.

brasho 01-04-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warriorz319 (Post 3209078)
So glad to see the 1st scouting report out of the year, it means draft is finally getting ready to pick up again. With that said I don't agree with the 1st round grade on Barkley he is a great clip board guy but I don't see anything that indicates he will be a good NFL starter. I see him as more of a 3rd round Jimmy Clausen type guy (without the attitude), very little upside in Barkley and he lacks the arm to make any wow throws. Andy Dalton comparison seems a bit off I see more of a Mark Brunell type career for Barkley. Very Capable of winning a few games as a back up but as a starter will leave a lot to be desired despite his high football IQ. However, that is just my opinion.

You know Mark Brunell was a damn good player when he was with the Jags, right? Plus, he ran a 4.6 40 and used every bit of it to his advantage early in his career. I don't think he's anything like Brunell was. He reminds me of Jimmy Clausen/Brodie Croyle and a best case scenario of Chad Pennington. He's a guy with an unimpressive frame and physical traits and manages the game well around his much more talented teammates. A right handed Matt Leinart with a better work ethic.

CowboysBeastMode 01-10-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3208219)
Initially my first thought for a comparison was Mark Sanchez but the more I thought about it Sanchez was more athletic and had more upside coming out. Not to mention it was a bit clichéd.

andy dalton is better athlete than mark sanchez

mark sanchez is the best comparison to barkeley, he just more accurate than sanchez