Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Playoff discussion (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54874)

J-Mike88 12-11-2012 01:25 PM

Playoff discussion

We know about 8 or 9 sure teams of the 12.
One Wildcard spot up in the air in the AFC, and over in the NFC, Seattle & Chicago are currently a game up on a few others, Redskins, Cowboys.

Here's some recent history regarding playoffs, seeds, byes, etc.

No. 1 and No. 2 seeds just 15-13 in divisional round of playoffs from 2004-2011. Bye, home field not a big advantage like many think.

Only No. 1 seed to win Super Bowl since 2003 season was Saints in 09.
Only No. 2 seed to win it all since 2004, Steelers in 2008.

I think Houston & Atlanta would benefit the most from home field advantage, as the Saints did 3 years ago.
But we thought that of Atlanta 2 years ago too.

Nalej 12-11-2012 01:31 PM

Pats have finished with a 1 or 2 seed 5 times... have gone to the Super Bowl 4 of those times

/endhomerpost

J-Mike88 12-11-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nalej (Post 3208850)
Pats have finished with a 1 or 2 seed 5 times... have gone to the Super Bowl 4 of those times
/endhomerpost

Big difference between going to, and winning, the Super Bowl.
Nobody knows that better than you Pats fans.

Denver Bronco56 12-11-2012 05:25 PM

I strongly dislike the Patriots being a Broncos fan. With that being said I can't be the only person that finds the fact they havent been able to win a SB since they got caught with SpyGate a huge flag when talking about how dominate they have been...because taking in account they havent won a SB since spygate, Brady hasnt been able to close the deal at the SB even with one of the best teams ever

Ness 12-11-2012 05:54 PM

Well when is the last time they had a defense that scared anybody?

jth1331 12-11-2012 05:55 PM

I think Houston really needs some home field in the playoffs, they are slumping of late, barely escaping Jacksonville and Detroit before getting humiliated by New England.

Nalej 12-11-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 (Post 3209132)
I strongly dislike the Patriots being a Broncos fan. With that being said I can't be the only person that finds the fact they havent been able to win a SB since they got caught with SpyGate a huge flag when talking about how dominate they have been...because taking in account they havent won a SB since spygate, Brady hasnt been able to close the deal at the SB even with one of the best teams ever

The defense lost both games allowing game winning drives by Eli.
The Pats were also one Welker drop away from being defending champions.

You take if for granted that the Pats have been to two super bowls like it's not an achievement by itself.

Jvig43 12-11-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Haha if anything the fact we even made it to the SB last year speaks volumes of how good BB is as a coach. We still have been the class of the AFC after spy gate no matter what you want to say, and yeah this is the one time I'll come out and be a little bit of a homer here while feeling comfortable saying that. I dont see too many people continuing to bring up spy gate when talking about the Pats teams of the last five years. Why? Because these teams havent been quite as good as we were in the SB eras and 2007 yet still manage to be one of the top contenders year in and year out. Outside of the Colts with Manning and the Steelers with Ben no other team has made it out of the AFC to the SB in what almost ten years? Thats ridiculous.

holt_bruce81 12-11-2012 09:08 PM

The Rams really control their own destiny, but I don't expect them to make it in. I think they lose to the Vikings and Seahawks and finish at 7-8-1

J-Mike88 12-11-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 (Post 3209359)
The Rams really control their own destiny, but I don't expect them to make it in. I think they lose to the Vikings and Seahawks and finish at 7-8-1

I got U beating the Vikings this week because I think Fisher can get that defense to do a decent job on Peterson, great front 4, and Ponder might throw more TDs to Jenkins & Finnegan than he does to his own team.

Rams 20
Vikings 16

J-Mike88 12-11-2012 10:35 PM

BTW, much credit to the Patriots for making it to the Super Bowl twice in the past 5 years. Although both losses to the magical Eli, making it is an accomplishment, just ask the Vikings, Lions, Browns, Chiefs fans around here.

Still think the Bills making -albeit losing- 4 straight Super Bowls in the 1990's is a feat we will never see again.
****ing Norwood.

WCH 12-12-2012 04:19 PM

Seattle worries me a little bit. I would really appreciate it if teams would start beating the Seahawks, so they don't make the playoffs. kthxbai.

nrk 12-12-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nalej (Post 3209347)
The defense lost both games allowing game winning drives by Eli.
The Pats were also one Welker drop away from being defending champions.

You take if for granted that the Pats have been to two super bowls like it's not an achievement by itself.

The defense lost because they didn't have the other team's signals taped.

/joke

PackerLegend 12-13-2012 01:20 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams make the playoffs. I want the Giants out because they have ruined our playoffs enough recently. I also hope Seattle doesn't make the playoffs over another team because of the failmary.

Rosebud 12-13-2012 01:35 PM

I want the cowboys to make it in as the final wild card damnit. They've been a really fun team to watch this year with their wild swings from mind-boggling ineptitude and impressive play, it's been extremely entertaining. Would love to see them find a way to lose an epic game in the playoffs.

cunningham06 12-13-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3210913)
I want the cowboys to make it in as the final wild card damnit. They've been a really fun team to watch this year with their wild swings from mind-boggling ineptitude and impressive play, it's been extremely entertaining. Would love to see them find a way to lose an epic game in the playoffs.

The last 5 minutes of the Cowboys v. Browns game is the most hilariously entertaining thing I've ever seen. Both teams desperately trying to lose the game and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Rosebud 12-13-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunningham06 (Post 3210929)
The last 5 minutes of the Cowboys v. Browns game is the most hilariously entertaining thing I've ever seen. Both teams desperately trying to lose the game and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yep that was the most entertaining stretch of play I've seen this season.

BuckeyeDan17 12-13-2012 02:43 PM

That was a bad Sunday afternoon.

J-Mike88 12-13-2012 04:32 PM

How the hell is it that the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets are a game out of a playoff spot?
And this ******* commish wants to add more playoff spots?

PackerLegend 12-14-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mike88 (Post 3211116)
How the hell is it that the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets are a game out of a playoff spot?
And this ******* commish wants to add more playoff spots?

Tim Tebowzzzz Duh... they have god on their side.

Rosebud 12-14-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDan17 (Post 3211011)
That was a bad Sunday afternoon.

Only as a fan of either team. As a neutral it was the most captivating game I've seen this year.

killxswitch 12-14-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3209174)
Well when is the last time they had a defense that knew what plays the offense was running before the ball was snapped?

I think that is the more pertinent question.

Jvig43 12-14-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3212002)
I think that is the more pertinent question.

About the same time Pollian was fixing the rules so Manning could actually win in the playoffs.

Razor 12-14-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

:facepalm:

Brady came within two minutes of winning both of those Superb Owls. He did what he needed to do. And what we expected him to do. The defense, however, has been atrocious since elite players like Ty Law and Asante Samuel left. Willie McGinnest left too, and Bruschi got old although he still played at a high level. Of course they can't win with ******* Ellis Hobbs, Kyle Arrington and Sterling Moore playing boundary corner. The fact that we won those three SBs had absolutely nothing to do with Spygate. They were just pretty ******* good. The last two SBs were lost because the Giants are build in a way that matches up very well against the Patriots. Challenge the corners with deep passes outside the numbers and a strong interior pass rush. Patriots could've played pretty much any other team an won those SBs. So why don't people stop acting like a ******* 4-year old and stop making these kind of posts? It's as dumb as people who says Manning isn't great because he's "only" won 1 SB.

Idiot...

J-Mike88 12-17-2012 07:29 PM

You f***** Patriots.... Defensive Genius Little Bill..... The one time ever I root for your @sses and you lose at home in December for the first time in many years?

F*** ***.... I hope Denver kicks your *** in Denver in the #3@#2 game.
Better yet, I hope the #6 Steelers go to Foxboro and shut Belichick up again.