Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Hines Thoughts Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54880)

Hines 12-11-2012 07:36 PM

Hines Thoughts Thread
 
IS THERE REALLY A TOP TEAM IN THE NFL?

-In my eyes, no. No team has stood out as being the most dominate team in the NFL.

Falcons-Despite having the best record in the NFC, have shown signs of faltering within the past few games. Wouldnít consider them the best team in the NFC anymore.

Texans- Have not looked good in big games this season. Despite a 11-2 record, they got embarrassed on national TV twice against Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Their D has taken steps backwards and you can really see their lack of CB an WR depth.

Patriots- Probably the best looking team right now, but can their D with a lack of pass rush and lack of deep threat get them over the hump this year?

Broncos- Playing well on both sides of the ball, but will the Manning of old play like he has in the past in January?

49ers- Can Colin Kaepernick take them to the Super Bowl? I have my doubts.
Packers- I donít like their running game, OL, and secondary to take them back to the Super Bowl. Rodgers will have to play error free football for them to win it all IMO.

Ravens- I donít trust Flacco and the defense is old and not good anymore.
Giants- Probably one of the most complete teams in the NFL, but they never play to it consistently all year.

Colts- Not a great defense and Andrew Luck has turnover problems.

Seahawks- Great defense and running game, but can Russell Wilson take them to the Super Bowl? I donít think so. Also, their best corner Richard Sherman could end up missing the playoffs if his appeal gets denied.

Bears- Started out fast and a Super Bowl contender, but have lost 4 of their last 5 games. Cutler has not looked good neither and the defense is getting banged up.

Steelers- Banged up and the D cannot get off the field on third down. Good thing about them making the playoffs would be them playing against good teams, which theyíve had good success with this year opposed to losing to four bad teams.

Bengals- I donít think theyíre ready to take the next step yet.

With a wide open NFL, Iíll still stand by preseason Super Bowl pick of Atlanta-Houston, though Iím feeling less confident with that each week. This is what makes the NFL so great.


EARLY 2013 BREAKOUT TEAM

-This may come to a surprise, but I think the New York Jets are a team who can make a huge impact IF they can have a great draft. Their defense is pretty solid this year and thatís without their best player and a pass rush. If they get a pass rusher or two, I can see this unit being a top 5 defense again.

The offense is another story, but I think Sanchez will do enough next year with a healthy Santonio Holmes, a more polished Stephen Hill, and a better run game. If Sanchez doesnít improve next year with all talent he should be getting back, then the Jets need to move on.

I think the Jets are closer to a playoff run next year than another disappointing season.


LUCK VS RG3

-A huge debate regarding these two stud rookie QBs regarding the Rookie of the Year. While RG3 has the sexier stat line, I think Iíd be inclined to giving it to Luck. He took a 1 win team with minimal talent to the playoffs the next year. The turnovers are alarming for Luck, but if I had a vote for ROY, itíd be Luck due to what he brought to the Colts.

WHAT SHOULD THE RAIDERS DO WITH THEIR QB SITUATION?

-A big debate for the Raiders in the offseason would be what they do with Carson Palmer. He is owed 13 million dollars in 2013 and the Raiders could be forced to let him go to help with the cap. The Raiders should have a top 10 pick in the draft, but what should they do? Should they try and get a QB like Barkley or Wilson? Should they get defensive help like Star Lotulelei and see what they have in Terrelle Pryor? If I were running the team, Iíd let Pryor play to see what they have in him and try and trade Palmer. That brings me to my next pointÖ


ARIZONAíS OFFSEASON

-The Cardinals should see what the Raiders would want for Palmer in the offseason. The Cardinals NEED a QB before Fitz demands a trade. Iíd ship a third round pick for him and then use their first two draft picks on Taylor Lewan/Luke Joekel and a QB to develop like Tyler Bray, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, or Aaron Murray. Palmer isnít the answer for the Cards, but heís an upgrade over Kevin Kolb (who should get released after the season), John Skelton, and Ryan Lindley. Also, Iíd replace Wiz with Ray Horton, release Beanie Wells and get a new RB, and draft a pass rusher or two. I still believe theyíll be the fourth best team in the division, but their arrow will be pointing up regarding the state of their team.


Random Thoughts

-Iíd give Blaine Gabbert another year in Jacksonville. While he isnít great, he has improved this year and deserves another year.
-CJ Spiller is going to be really good and Gailey needs to not mess around with him anymore. Give him more carries than Fred Jackson. I hope Vick goes to Buffalo and they run the pistol. I donít think Vick has much left, but he and Spiller could be exciting to watch.
-The state of Ohio could be running the AFC North real soon and I donít think anyone is prepared for it. Cincinnati has been improving every year and have a plethora of young talent on both sides of the ball. Give Cleveland another pass rusher and another receiving threat and they could contend for a Wild Card spot.
-JJ Watt and Geno Atkins are the two best DLman in the NFL and I donít think itís even close.
-Von Miller is the next Derrick Thomas. Heís really fun to watch.
-I didnít like Aldon Smith that much coming out of college that much and thought he was a weird fit in a 34 defense, but Iíll happily eat crow. Heís going to break the sack record this year.
-That crop of 2011 Draft of defensive lineman is going to come down to one of the best in NFL history. Miller, Smith, Watt, Quinn, Kerrigan, Wilkerson, and Dareus are all really good already.
-AP should win MVP, but probably wonít because his team wonít make the playoffs and thatís sad. He looks even better after his major knee injury.


HOMER CORNER

-Todd Haley needs to use Chris Rainey in a Darren Sproles role. If you watch Rainey play this year, heís a breathtaking playmaker. He has the type of ability to change games and shows it on every kick return, as he is one of the better returners in the league as a rookie. He sees a handful of snaps a game, but I believe he should receive more. Line him up in the slot, on the outside, in the wildcat, in the back field, etc, but he needs to touch the ball more. Those WR screens that Haley runs a lot should involve Rainey as well and let his speed and quickness take over. He already makes an impact when he enters on offense as teams key on him due to the offense using him as a decoy.

-Iím torn on Mike Wallace. I like him, but his drops and lack of focus and development have hurt the team, but he scares defenses still and you canít teach his speed. Itíll be hard to replace a WR of his caliber and has a nice chemistry with Big Ben. I see the Steelers trying to resign him, but I believe a team will pay more than what the Steelers are willing and he leaves. Miami, Minnesota, and Washington are teams I can see going after him.
-Ziggy Hood is the worst first round pick in a while for the Steelers. I havenít seen a player play so horrible that was drafted in the first round since Troy Edwards. Itís obvious he isnít a fit as a 5-tech and should be replaced by Cameron Heyward.
-Ryan Clark is the most underrated safety in the league. He is a guy the team cannot afford to lose. Heís been playing lights out the past few years.
-Troy Polamalu is going to either get cut or retire either the end of this season or next. His body is too broken down and I donít see how much further he can go.
-Keenan Lewis is going to make a lot of money this offseason after looking like a lost cause for two years. Heís come on since last year in a big way.
-Ike Taylor proves how valuable he is. He missed his first game in a very long time and the pass defense did not look the same. Ike had a rough start of the season, but quickly picked up where he was last year. I donít think heís a top 10 corner, but Iíd put him in the top 15 easily.


Hope you guys enjoyed reading this. Anything you guys disagree with or have questions regarding.

Caddy 12-11-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines (Post 3209340)
IS THERE REALLY A TOP TEAM IN THE NFL?

-In my eyes, no. No team has stood out as being the most dominate team in the NFL.

Falcons-Despite having the best record in the NFC, have shown signs of faltering within the past few games. Wouldnít consider them the best team in the NFC anymore.

Texans- Have not looked good in big games this season. Despite a 11-2 record, they got embarrassed on national TV twice against Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Their D has taken steps backwards and you can really see their lack of CB an WR depth.

Patriots- Probably the best looking team right now, but can their D with a lack of pass rush and lack of deep threat get them over the hump this year?

Broncos- Playing well on both sides of the ball, but will the Manning of old play like he has in the past in January?

49ers- Can Colin Kaepernick take them to the Super Bowl? I have my doubts.
Packers- I donít like their running game, OL, and secondary to take them back to the Super Bowl. Rodgers will have to play error free football for them to win it all IMO.

Ravens- I donít trust Flacco and the defense is old and not good anymore.
Giants- Probably one of the most complete teams in the NFL, but they never play to it consistently all year.

Colts- Not a great defense and Andrew Luck has turnover problems.

Seahawks- Great defense and running game, but can Russell Wilson take them to the Super Bowl? I donít think so. Also, their best corner Richard Sherman could end up missing the playoffs if his appeal gets denied.

Bears- Started out fast and a Super Bowl contender, but have lost 4 of their last 5 games. Cutler has not looked good neither and the defense is getting banged up.

Steelers- Banged up and the D cannot get off the field on third down. Good thing about them making the playoffs would be them playing against good teams, which theyíve had good success with this year opposed to losing to four bad teams.

Bengals- I donít think theyíre ready to take the next step yet.

With a wide open NFL, Iíll still stand by preseason Super Bowl pick of Atlanta-Houston, though Iím feeling less confident with that each week. This is what makes the NFL so great.


EARLY 2013 BREAKOUT TEAM

-This may come to a surprise, but I think the New York Jets are a team who can make a huge impact IF they can have a great draft. Their defense is pretty solid this year and thatís without their best player and a pass rush. If they get a pass rusher or two, I can see this unit being a top 5 defense again.

The offense is another story, but I think Sanchez will do enough next year with a healthy Santonio Holmes, a more polished Stephen Hill, and a better run game. If Sanchez doesnít improve next year with all talent he should be getting back, then the Jets need to move on.

I think the Jets are closer to a playoff run next year than another disappointing season.


LUCK VS RG3

-A huge debate regarding these two stud rookie QBs regarding the Rookie of the Year. While RG3 has the sexier stat line, I think Iíd be inclined to giving it to Luck. He took a 1 win team with minimal talent to the playoffs the next year. The turnovers are alarming for Luck, but if I had a vote for ROY, itíd be Luck due to what he brought to the Colts.

WHAT SHOULD THE RAIDERS DO WITH THEIR QB SITUATION?

-A big debate for the Raiders in the offseason would be what they do with Carson Palmer. He is owed 13 million dollars in 2013 and the Raiders could be forced to let him go to help with the cap. The Raiders should have a top 10 pick in the draft, but what should they do? Should they try and get a QB like Barkley or Wilson? Should they get defensive help like Star Lotulelei and see what they have in Terrelle Pryor? If I were running the team, Iíd let Pryor play to see what they have in him and try and trade Palmer. That brings me to my next pointÖ


ARIZONAíS OFFSEASON

-The Cardinals should see what the Raiders would want for Palmer in the offseason. The Cardinals NEED a QB before Fitz demands a trade. Iíd ship a third round pick for him and then use their first two draft picks on Taylor Lewan/Luke Joekel and a QB to develop like Tyler Bray, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, or Aaron Murray. Palmer isnít the answer for the Cards, but heís an upgrade over Kevin Kolb (who should get released after the season), John Skelton, and Ryan Lindley. Also, Iíd replace Wiz with Ray Horton, release Beanie Wells and get a new RB, and draft a pass rusher or two. I still believe theyíll be the fourth best team in the division, but their arrow will be pointing up regarding the state of their team.


Random Thoughts

-Iíd give Blaine Gabbert another year in Jacksonville. While he isnít great, he has improved this year and deserves another year.
-CJ Spiller is going to be really good and Gailey needs to not mess around with him anymore. Give him more carries than Fred Jackson. I hope Vick goes to Buffalo and they run the pistol. I donít think Vick has much left, but he and Spiller could be exciting to watch.
-The state of Ohio could be running the AFC North real soon and I donít think anyone is prepared for it. Cincinnati has been improving every year and have a plethora of young talent on both sides of the ball. Give Cleveland another pass rusher and another receiving threat and they could contend for a Wild Card spot.
-JJ Watt and Geno Atkins are the two best DLman in the NFL and I donít think itís even close.
-Von Miller is the next Derrick Thomas. Heís really fun to watch.
-I didnít like Aldon Smith that much coming out of college that much and thought he was a weird fit in a 34 defense, but Iíll happily eat crow. Heís going to break the sack record this year.
-That crop of 2011 Draft of defensive lineman is going to come down to one of the best in NFL history. Miller, Smith, Watt, Quinn, Kerrigan, Wilkerson, and Dareus are all really good already.
-AP should win MVP, but probably wonít because his team wonít make the playoffs and thatís sad. He looks even better after his major knee injury.


HOMER CORNER

-Todd Haley needs to use Chris Rainey in a Darren Sproles role. If you watch Rainey play this year, heís a breathtaking playmaker. He has the type of ability to change games and shows it on every kick return, as he is one of the better returners in the league as a rookie. He sees a handful of snaps a game, but I believe he should receive more. Line him up in the slot, on the outside, in the wildcat, in the back field, etc, but he needs to touch the ball more. Those WR screens that Haley runs a lot should involve Rainey as well and let his speed and quickness take over. He already makes an impact when he enters on offense as teams key on him due to the offense using him as a decoy.

-Iím torn on Mike Wallace. I like him, but his drops and lack of focus and development have hurt the team, but he scares defenses still and you canít teach his speed. Itíll be hard to replace a WR of his caliber and has a nice chemistry with Big Ben. I see the Steelers trying to resign him, but I believe a team will pay more than what the Steelers are willing and he leaves. Miami, Minnesota, and Washington are teams I can see going after him.
-Ziggy Hood is the worst first round pick in a while for the Steelers. I havenít seen a player play so horrible that was drafted in the first round since Troy Edwards. Itís obvious he isnít a fit as a 5-tech and should be replaced by Cameron Heyward.
-Ryan Clark is the most underrated safety in the league. He is a guy the team cannot afford to lose. Heís been playing lights out the past few years.
-Troy Polamalu is going to either get cut or retire either the end of this season or next. His body is too broken down and I donít see how much further he can go.
-Keenan Lewis is going to make a lot of money this offseason after looking like a lost cause for two years. Heís come on since last year in a big way.
-Ike Taylor proves how valuable he is. He missed his first game in a very long time and the pass defense did not look the same. Ike had a rough start of the season, but quickly picked up where he was last year. I donít think heís a top 10 corner, but Iíd put him in the top 15 easily.


Hope you guys enjoyed reading this. Anything you guys disagree with or have questions regarding.

This exact comment was made earlier in the week by a top NFL writer. IDEA THIEF

bigbluedefense 12-12-2012 08:54 AM

I'm gonna disagree about Palmer to Arizona. By trading for him, all they're doing is continuing the cycle of trying to quick fix a terrible hole on their team with a terrible player with name recognition. It won't solve the problem. It will be Kevin Kolb all over again.

They need to suck it up, and just draft a qb. Thinking that drafting a qb won't give them immediate impact is not accurate. Look at recent history and how rookie quarterbacks have made immediate contributions to their franchises.

Just draft a qb and get it over with. Same with KC. Stop dancing around the issue and draft a qb.

Great writeup btw.

Rosebud 12-12-2012 08:58 AM

Nah, Arizona can't waste Fitz's remaining prime years waiting for some kid...that's crazy talk BBD, they need to keep sticking with the tried and true method of going after the craptastic QBs other teams don't want to be their QB...IT ALMOST WORKED THAT ONE TIME WITH KURT WARNER!!! And if not for Archie Manning it might have finally actually worked this year if they could've gotten peyton.

Rosebud 12-12-2012 09:03 AM

I do agree with the no dominant teams point. It's something I've been talking about in the Giants thread for a while. These Playoffs are going to be amazingly wide open.

AntoinCD 12-12-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines (Post 3209340)
EARLY 2013 BREAKOUT TEAM

-This may come to a surprise, but I think the New York Jets are a team who can make a huge impact IF they can have a great draft. Their defense is pretty solid this year and thatís without their best player and a pass rush. If they get a pass rusher or two, I can see this unit being a top 5 defense again.

The offense is another story, but I think Sanchez will do enough next year with a healthy Santonio Holmes, a more polished Stephen Hill, and a better run game. If Sanchez doesnít improve next year with all talent he should be getting back, then the Jets need to move on.

I think the Jets are closer to a playoff run next year than another disappointing season.

Not saying this because it's the Jets but they would be one of my early favourites for the 1st overall pick next year. The offense is a joke. Outside Ferguson and Mangold who else is even an average starter? Maybe Keller who is a FA. Defensively they have one or two nice pieces but way more holes to fill.

Plus, they have a horrendous cap situation. They are either going to have to get ridiculously creative with new deals or get rid of guys, and the guys they should get rid of (Sanchez, Holmes etc) will kill them cap wise.

And who knows if Revis will ever be the same? Not every player who has an ACL can be like Adrian Peterson.

Realistically the Jets probably need;

QB
At least one WR
RB
OL
Pass Rusher
Safeties

If they can fill 3 or 4 of those holes in the draft then well for them (although their draft history under Tannebaum/Ryan hasn't been spectacular), but they aren't doing anything in FA, in fact they are more likely to lose guys tha add them

AcheTen (Thumper) 12-12-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3209639)
I do agree with the no dominant teams point. It's something I've been talking about in the Giants thread for a while. These Playoffs are going to be amazingly wide open.

If you look at advanced stats (footballoutsiders.com / advancednflstats.com), the Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos, and 49ers are all a clear cut above the rest of the NFL.

Patriots and Seahawks in particular have both looked very dominant in recent weeks.

Grizzlegom 12-12-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines (Post 3209340)
IS THERE REALLY A TOP TEAM IN THE NFL?

-In my eyes, no. No team has stood out as being the most dominate team in the NFL.


jth1331 12-12-2012 10:26 AM

Maybe a tad bit homerish, but to me, the Broncos are playing now a more complete/balanced football than anybody else.
top 5 in both offense and defense now, what I think 2nd or 3rd in sacks, an okay running game to go with a good passing game that when they get the lead, its tough to get in the game with their pass rush.
Then you have now a great return man in Holliday back there that you have to be worried about as well...and damn.
As for the Pats, their offense is so good it makes up for a more average defense.
Pats and Broncos are the class of the AFC right now, and NFC if San Fran could beat St. Louis, well, it would be them and then everybody else IMO.
This Sunday will be a great game to see the 49ers and Pats clash.

vidae 12-12-2012 10:30 AM

Good writeup, I enjoyed reading it.

But no Chiefs shoutout? Come on Hines!

FUNBUNCHER 12-12-2012 11:14 AM

I think Jim Harbaugh made a mistake making Kaepernick the new starter this season. The 49ers best shot IMO was still to ride out Alex Smith for the year.

I don't see SF going far in the playoffs with CK right now, when all it takes is one bad game by your QB to get bounced.

There's no great team in the NFC which is going to be a wide open crapshoot to make it to the SB, but the Pats and Broncos are the best contenders IMO to make the championship game from the AFC.

Gay Ork Wang 12-12-2012 11:34 AM

Cutler has done fine. Kellen Davis and the WRs besides Marshall are at fault really.

bigbluedefense 12-12-2012 12:49 PM

As for the Jets, they're going to suck as long as Mark Sanchez is their quarterback. They'll never go anywhere with him.

Hines 12-12-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3209717)
Good writeup, I enjoyed reading it.

But no Chiefs shoutout? Come on Hines!

Jon Baldwin needs to get the ball more.


Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3209834)
As for the Jets, they're going to suck as long as Mark Sanchez is their quarterback. They'll never go anywhere with him.

I disagree on the Jets. I think they can win with Sanchez if given the right players. But if this is true about their cap, I might change my tone on them.

Hines 12-12-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3209630)
I'm gonna disagree about Palmer to Arizona. By trading for him, all they're doing is continuing the cycle of trying to quick fix a terrible hole on their team with a terrible player with name recognition. It won't solve the problem. It will be Kevin Kolb all over again.

They need to suck it up, and just draft a qb. Thinking that drafting a qb won't give them immediate impact is not accurate. Look at recent history and how rookie quarterbacks have made immediate contributions to their franchises.

Just draft a qb and get it over with. Same with KC. Stop dancing around the issue and draft a qb.

Great writeup btw.

I just think Arizona's OL is their biggest need and despite not being a huge upgrade, Palmer is more of an upgrade than the three they already got.

bigbluedefense 12-12-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines (Post 3209918)
Jon Baldwin needs to get the ball more.




I disagree on the Jets. I think they can win with Sanchez if given the right players. But if this is true about their cap, I might change my tone on them.

They have no depth at all. Poor drafting has already shown its ugly head this year, and will continue moving forward bc this team has no depth.

BloodBrother 12-12-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3209639)
I do agree with the no dominant teams point. It's something I've been talking about in the Giants thread for a while. These Playoffs are going to be amazingly wide open.

Makes it more exciting. I hope this postseason ends up a lot like the 2003 postseason. Had a few OT playoff games, including a 2 OT one, the Indy/KC shootout, Titans winning with a FG with 30 seconds left against Baltimore.Then it was capped off with a shootout SB that came down to a last second FG


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.