Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Is It Me Or Is This An Extremely Weak Draft Class? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54890)

DraftSwag 12-12-2012 09:42 PM

Is It Me Or Is This An Extremely Weak Draft Class?
 
I've really started to go through prospects and I'm struggling to find high level guys like we have had the past few years. Typically you have a few big time QB's, RB's and WR's but nobody has really done anything to separate themselves this year. I was always told the underclassmen make the draft, but I'm not really impressed with that group either. Obviously you have your guys like Clowney and Floyd, but I'm very unimpressed with this years talent pool. I think defensive lineman is a strength, but I wouldnt be surprised to see a few small school guys jump into the top rounds like Elon's Aaron Mellette.

Shane P. Hallam 12-12-2012 09:46 PM

It's not at all. Just not top heavy, but I see a lot of depth and fine players who will be in that 4th-5th round range and contribute.

PossibleCabbage 12-12-2012 09:53 PM

I love the defensive front 7 players in this class.

For QBs, WRs, OTs, CBs, and other "money" positions, it's not so great. But for things like DL, LBs, interior OL, and Safeties it's quite a good group.

SickwithIt1010 12-12-2012 09:55 PM

Is it just me or does someone ask this every single year?

DraftSwag 12-12-2012 09:56 PM

Looks like its gonna be a pretty unpredictable draft this year then.

armageddon 12-12-2012 09:59 PM

I love the OT's and WR's all throughout rd 1 and 2

Scott Wright 12-12-2012 10:08 PM

If you are talking in terms of elite, once-every-decade type of prospects then yes.

It also isn't super sexy when it comes to the skill positions.

However, there is a lot of depth and if you are fan of the guys in the trenches it's great.

SolidGold 12-12-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3210513)
Is it just me or does someone ask this every single year?

Ha my thoughts exactly - every draft usually has a couple a positions that really sticks out - this year its the OTs so it's not going to be a sexy draft like last year with Luck and Griffin taking the spotlight. This is a really nice and deep draft.

brat316 12-12-2012 10:25 PM

Goodel is going to hate this draft....no $$$$$ from big uglies.

Mel and Mike are going to cream their pants with the amont of big uglies and mid range guys.

PossibleCabbage 12-12-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3210513)
Is it just me or does someone ask this every single year?

Not quite every year. Every once in a while we get a year with a bunch of really hyped prospects at the top of the draft and talk about "IS THIS THE BEST DRAFT EVER?!?!?" and sometimes those years turn out to be 2006.

Cardinal96 12-12-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3210513)
Is it just me or does someone ask this every single year?

I didn't see too many people asking that last year. But that was the year of Andrew Luck and RG3. You are right; this does get asked most years.

MI_Buckeye 12-12-2012 11:54 PM

What is a weak draft class?

I remember everybody whining about how pitiful the 2009 draft class was and how great the 2010 class was, but if you compare them side-by-side three and four years into their career, do they really seem that different?

MI_Buckeye 12-12-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 3210574)
Not quite every year. Every once in a while we get a year with a bunch of really hyped prospects at the top of the draft and talk about "IS THIS THE BEST DRAFT EVER?!?!?" and sometimes those years turn out to be 2006.

The 2006 draft had so much glamor to it, it was almost sickening. All the college superstars from major programs really got the media hyping it up much more than other years. Bush, Young, Leinart, Hawk. How many All-Pro teams have those guys made?

My favorite part about that draft was watching all the ignoramus fans and media who probably actually watch about ten college football games a year get their panties in a bundle after the Texans made the obvious right choice in passing on the bum QBs and Reggie Bush.

Saints-Tigers 12-13-2012 12:25 AM

It's not a flashy class, because of the garbage at QB and the lack of top tiered RB or WR's.

As a fan of a team that needs help on the offensive line, in the front seven, and in overall depth, I'm pretty stoked about the talent that will be available to us. For young teams looking for QB's or playmakers? Not so much.

The NFL draft is so deep with talent yearly that it's hard to ever say a draft is strong or weak, but I would say it lacks elite talent at the glamor positions.

Halsey 12-13-2012 12:29 AM

Every Draft is called "heavy at the top, but not deep" or "Doesn't have much star power, but it's a deep class".

Happens every year.

Personally, I don't buy that anyone really knows. Many of the guys you think will be good won't be, and there will be guys you don't know much about who have great NFL careers.

niel89 12-13-2012 01:16 AM

We got honestly spoiled last year with Luck and Griffin up top. 2006 was still so bad ass in my mind.

Saints-Tigers 12-13-2012 02:01 AM

People like to bash the guy now, but looking at the 2006 draft, the top 10-15 or so was STACKED with guys who would be the top prospect at their position in most years. Some absolute freakish athletes.

Iamcanadian 12-13-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3210541)
If you are talking in terms of elite, once-every-decade type of prospects then yes.

It also isn't super sexy when it comes to the skill positions.

However, there is a lot of depth and if you are fan of the guys in the trenches it's great.

This pretty well sums it up, it is a great draft in the trenches, not sexy but still pretty solid.

Abaddon 12-13-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3210541)
if you are fan of the guys in the trenches it's great.


y.f.s. 12-13-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Buckeye (Post 3210628)
The 2006 draft had so much glamor to it, it was almost sickening. All the college superstars from major programs really got the media hyping it up much more than other years. Bush, Young, Leinart, Hawk. How many All-Pro teams have those guys made?

My favorite part about that draft was watching all the ignoramus fans and media who probably actually watch about ten college football games a year get their panties in a bundle after the Texans made the obvious right choice in passing on the bum QBs and Reggie Bush.

They probably should have taken Cutler, but overall I totally agree with you - especially about everyone freaking out on them passing on Bush/Young/Leinart. 2006 class was horrifically overrated.

This class is one of the deepest than I can remember, especially in the defensive front 7.

PossibleCabbage 12-13-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Buckeye (Post 3210628)
The 2006 draft had so much glamor to it, it was almost sickening. All the college superstars from major programs really got the media hyping it up much more than other years. Bush, Young, Leinart, Hawk. How many All-Pro teams have those guys made?

My favorite part about that draft was watching all the ignoramus fans and media who probably actually watch about ten college football games a year get their panties in a bundle after the Texans made the obvious right choice in passing on the bum QBs and Reggie Bush.

I doubt we will ever again see a draft that was as hyped as 2006 was, and likewise as disappointing as 2006 was.

Of the top 16 only Ferguson, Hawk, Davis, Huff, and Ngata are still with the team that drafted them and of that set the only one who wasn't at least a little disappointing is Ngata.

I hope the lesson learned from that is "let's do better analysis" since in retrospect, even putting all the hype aside, that was a terrible draft at the top.

holt_bruce81 12-13-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 3210507)
I love the defensive front 7 players in this class.

For QBs, WRs, OTs, CBs, and other "money" positions, it's not so great. But for things like DL, LBs, interior OL, and Safeties it's quite a good group.

It has potential to be a very nice WR class....

Justin Hunter
Da'rick Rogers
Terrance Williams
Cordarrelle Patterson
Kennan Allen
Tavon Austin
DeAndre Hopkins
Robert Woods
Cobi Hamilton
Kenny Stills
Aaron Dodson
Ryan Swope
Markus Wheaton
Stedman Bailey

And then you got guys like Denard Robinson and Brandon Coleman assuming Coleman comes out.

underscore 12-13-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3210541)
If you are talking in terms of elite, once-every-decade type of prospects then yes.

It also isn't super sexy when it comes to the skill positions.

However, there is a lot of depth and if you are fan of the guys in the trenches it's great.

So you're saying instead of a Victoria's Secret fashion show, the 2013 draft is a fashion show for plus-sized women?

JRTPlaya21 12-13-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 (Post 3211113)
It has potential to be a very nice WR class....

Justin Hunter
Da'rick Rogers
Terrance Williams
Cordarrelle Patterson
Kennan Allen
Tavon Austin
DeAndre Hopkins
Robert Woods
Cobi Hamilton
Kenny Stills
Aaron Dodson
Ryan Swope
Markus Wheaton
Stedman Bailey

And then you got guys like Denard Robinson and Brandon Coleman assuming Coleman comes out.

That's drool worthy right there since I'm huge on wideouts. The Redskins better snag one of them or I'll be heated.

descendency 12-13-2012 06:40 PM

There are definitely great players in this draft. It's not a great QB class or RB class, but it seems to me like it is a great DL, WR, LB, and OL class.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.